Creamistry?

Stricklands was okay... I guess not impressive enough for us to go back even though my kids love ice cream.

I think we still prefer gelato over ice cream, custard, yogurt etc. We usually get it at Whole Foods or Fashion Island.

Graeter's ice cream is really good as well. Based in Ohio, cincy I think. Krogers/Ralph's carries them since Kroger is cincy based as well. I've heard good things about blue bell ice cream but have never tried that

working from home today so i swung by Creamistry. no line, but there were 7 people waiting for ice cream.  so just walked up to the counter and 10 minutes later i had my ice cream. got the butter cream with oreo, the ice cream itself is really good. paid $7 and change for a medium cup, kind of pricey for what you get. for $8 i can get a hand packed quart of ice cream from baskin robbins.  my favorite is cold stone, creamistry tastes slightly better due to the consistency (it melts fast which i like a lot, i normally let me ice cream sit out about 45 minutes so it gets soft).  a hand packed quart at cold stone is $14 (with one mix in).

ill probably be back, but it wont supplant cold stone for me.

qwerty said:
working from home today so i swung by Creamistry. no line, but there were 7 people waiting for ice cream.  so just walked up to the counter and 10 minutes later i had my ice cream. got the butter cream with oreo, the ice cream itself is really good. paid $7 and change for a medium cup, kind of pricey for what you get. for $8 i can get a hand packed quart of ice cream from baskin robbins.  my favorite is cold stone, creamistry tastes slightly better due to the consistency (it melts fast which i like a lot, i normally let me ice cream sit out about 45 minutes so it gets soft).  a hand packed quart at cold stone is $14 (with one mix in).

ill probably be back, but it wont supplant cold stone for me.

$8!?  Wow, that's crazy.  I withhold from purchasing containers of Mint N Chip and Chocolate Malted Crunch from Rite Aid until it comes to 2 for $6.00.  :eek:

I'll probably end up trying this place after I end up at Urban Plates though. 

ps9 said:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/creamistry-irvine

Some harsh reviews... High price, poor taste... I'll stick with plain tart at yogurtland with passion fruit jelly

A lot of the Yelp reviews are really over the top and also not taking into consideration that it's a new place.  I mean, its nuts to slam the place on opening day and declare that you'll never go back.

Anyway, we thought the ice-cream was excellent but the criticism of the wait is valid.  They need to get things to go faster and/or have more people working there.  Also, for a place that's about show/spectacle, they need to interact more with the customers.  Hopefully, they'll get better and faster and do well.  I despise frozen yoghurt which doesn't leave many places to go to other than Baskin Robbins and Coldstone.  There was the cool gelato place in Woodbury, but it didn't last very long.  The nearest gelato place to me (Northpark) is in the food court at Fashion Island.  There was a place at UCI.  Is it still there?

qwerty said:
i love the chocolate malted krunch.

Yum! Now I have a craving for a double scoop cone with chocolate malted crunch and mint chip. I remember back in the day, it was only like 30 cents for a double scoop.

I overheard a girl in Starbucks talking about her visit to Creamistry the other day. She said she was there for 2 hours, because there was a huge line to order, then she had to wait 30 minutes for her ice cream.

irvinehomeowner said:
Machilato also does gelato, as does Red Brick Pizza in Quail Hill.

Whole Foods in The District also has gelato.

I tried Mochilato today and got a medium with chocolate and mango.  It was ok but nothing great and didn't taste very fresh.  Also, everything I had read about the place said it was just a bakery / dessert place but they had various asian entrees too.  In fact, that was a real negative since the aroma of the hot food was very strong in there and messed up any chance of enjoying the pastries or gelato.  I took mine to go and saw many people taking their desserts to the tables outside.  Seems like a very bad (and apparently recent) decision of the owners.

I'll try and get to Whole Foods tomorrow, although, like most sane people I despise going to The District because of their criminally insane layout and parking.

davidr said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Machilato also does gelato, as does Red Brick Pizza in Quail Hill.

Whole Foods in The District also has gelato.
I'll try and get to Whole Foods tomorrow, although, like most sane people I despise going to The District because of their criminally insane layout and parking.

We were near the Whole Foods on Sunday but after driving around for a few minutes looking for a spot, we gave up and just went home.  I've never despised a mall/parking lot as much as The District. And it has no excuse since it's only a few years old and had a blank, rectangular piece of land to start with.

Anyway, my office is right by the WF in Laguna Niguel so I stopped there on the way home from work.  Got the large - 3 scoops for $4.00.  Funny that a really expensive market has cheap prices on gelato.  Pretty good flavor and texture.  Still not like the stuff in Paris but better than Mochilato.  Not really any options (e.g. sundaes), but with the entire market right there - including their bakery - you could put together whatever you wanted.  I guess that will be my go-to place.

Thanks for the tips!

David

Had Stone Cold today... probably been years.

I forgot how good it is... just expensive... only 1 mix-in and the small is over $4.00.

How's the beer selection at WFs?  Was at the Costco across the way today and saw a Stone Brewing 22oz variety back at about $2/btl, a "werewulf" Newcastle (interesting red ale), Alesmith "halloween" brew 22oz, and a 10% double IPA (forgot brewery) 22oz.

TD, any beers you recommend from WF's?  Not much of a Chimay nor DT fan.  Like Alaskan Amber, Boont amber, ale smith IPA, etc.

The Creamistry thread is now about beer :)  That's fine. To bring it back OT, I did think Creamistry should have alcoholic flavors!  Putting liquor in ice cream works great. The alcohol lowers the freezing point so it doesn't turn into a solid block of ice.  Not to mention the flavor and the intoxicating effects!

A couple of years ago, my wife got me a great ice cream maker - the kind with a built-in freezer.  I think the first thing we used it for was when we had gotten a mint shake at Carl's Jr.  It had melted a lot by the time we got home so I thought of putting in the machine to resurrect it.  I threw in some Creme de Menthe for fun and we ended up with a pretty amazing drink.

Just got the email:

You?re invited to celebrate Creamistry?s grand opening from noon to 4 p.m. October 25th. Guests will be treated to a complimentary scoop of ice cream with one mix-in or topping! The first 300 guests will also receive a free t-shirt.

Wow - given the lines and wait now, I wouldn't want to be within a mile of the place that day!

Actually, I hadn't realized that the Rite Aid at Jamboree & Irvine Blvd (technically on the Tustin side) still had a Thrifty Ice Cream counter.  My wife and I went them on the weekend and got a single scoop and a double scoop in under five minutes for under five dollars!  Not quite as good as Creamistry, but 80% of the way there for less than half the price and one tenth the wait.

Back