Creaking noise - new build

Fxguy

Hi TI,

I just moved into my new construction home. There is a creaking noise in my master bedroom right next to where I walk to get into and out of my bed. It's annoying. The builder has been first class so far for service - CalPac. They told me the first year is the year I should report everything to get fixed.is it within reason to get that noise fixed/eliminated? Has anyone dealt with anything like this? This is the only spot I noticed the noise.

Thanks for your opinions. I know I should ask but was wondering if this is something that would generally get fixed.

Definitely call for warranty service. You would want to thoroughly in all the rooms surface area, even in the corners. This happen quite frequently as new build homes settle in. During the hot and cold climate weather change, the subfloor plywood contracts and expands. And nails, not nailed in all the way  would cause the creeking noise from the subfloor as you walk on it. It happen to me and the builder have no issues fixing the problem. It is crucial to walk on and jumps/stomps on all carpet surface area during the first year of warranty. If you have kids they sure will give it a good test for you even before you ask for help.

First of all, definitely report it. It could be just the house settling or something is wrong with the subfloor. It doesn't hurt to file a claim and have them come take a look. At the very least, there will be a paper trail.

I know someone who bought in a Irvine Pacific development. After a few months, the owner deemed the quality of the fit and finish of the bathroom to be unsatisfactory. They complained and after a few meetings, IP agreed to replace a few items in the bathroom to better quality fixtures.

Moral of the story is, no matter how small of an issue you think it is...you should always ask. It's probably the biggest investment of your life.

Back