Coyote responsible for three Irvine attacks euthanized, police said

I recently just bought a taser/flashlight for my gf to use while walking our dog. I know its not as effective since you basically have to touch the point to the coyote but I'm hoping it would help to scare it away since it makes a really loud sound.

eyephone said:
Perspective said:
eyephone said:
Perspective said:
eyephone said:
But is carrying a golf club or baseball bat legal? (Walking around the streets)
I think the answer is no.

Perspective said:
A golf club or baseball bat are probably far more effective; just dispose of the coyote carcass yourself. Certain activists might not appreciate the bludgeoning of precious wild life.

I always talk to my kids about how to defend themselves from dogs - Stand your ground. Do not run. Kick up at their neck and crush it, if they charge.

Why would it be illegal to carry a baseball bat? It is not. Now, if the bat is retrofitted with a blade and/or spikes to inflict greater damage, that might be an issue.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=22001-23000&file=22210-22295

The California statute prohibits possession of ?any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.?

Billy aka billy club (bat)

Send the Irvine police to the ball parks this weekend. There are dozens of kids possessing bats, and swinging them!

If you have a bat in your car, this can be a problem because it can be considered a weapon.

There was a California case in which a man had a bat in the back seat of his vehicle for self defense, as he repossessed car. 
The lower court ruled that having the bat for self defense was not defense to possess a billy club, if it can be used as a weapon. The court of appeal affirmed the conviction. (I summarized the case)

I guess you don't have kids that into sports and play baseball

My understanding regarding the bat is the same as eyephone's. So imagine  the problems I have :)

Compressed-Village said:
eyephone said:
Perspective said:
eyephone said:
Perspective said:
eyephone said:

Perspective said:
A golf club or baseball bat are probably far more effective; just dispose of the coyote carcass yourself. Certain activists might not appreciate the bludgeoning of precious wild life.

I always talk to my kids about how to defend themselves from dogs - Stand your ground. Do not run. Kick up at their neck and crush it, if they charge.

Why would it be illegal to carry a baseball bat? It is not. Now, if the bat is retrofitted with a blade and/or spikes to inflict greater damage, that might be an issue.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=22001-23000&file=22210-22295

The California statute prohibits possession of ?any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.?

Send the Irvine police to the ball parks this weekend. There are dozens of kids possessing bats, and swinging them!

If you have a bat in your car, this can be a problem because it can be considered a weapon.

There was a California case in which a man had a bat in the back seat of his vehicle for self defense, as he repossessed car. 
The lower court ruled that having the bat for self defense was not defense to possess a billy club, if it can be used as a weapon. The court of appeal affirmed the conviction. (I summarized the case)

I guess you don't have kids that into sports and play baseball

Hypothetically speaking: Using the scenario, you just mentioned. If the guy had sports equipment because his kids played sports. Most likely there will be no crime. But that's not the case, he said it was for self defense which can be used as a weapon.

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
My understanding regarding the bat is the same as eyephone's. So imagine  the problems I have :)

It's time to get a CCW and pack heat.  ;)

You'll successfully kill the coyote, and probably spray strays around striking your own dog and kids. But hey, ya got the coyote! Sheeyoot!

eyephone said:
Perspective said:
eyephone said:

Perspective said:

You're mis-interpreting billy club/black jack.  Those are batons or fighting sticks like those used in Silat and sticks that are weighted towards the end that are used solely as a weapon.

Bats are legal to carry around in the open and we do carry a bat around when we walk around at night and no police has hassled us even when we walk right in front of them.

man that sucks.  Not a good area to leave small animals or children.  What is Irvine to do with this issue?

One on one those dogs will be fine. The coyote may try something but once the dog puts up a fight the coyote will leave.  The issue is if you get two vs one.

My daughter's dog was the size of a coyote but she was probably sitting down to do her biz and she was a bit compromised having recently been sick and lost some weight.

If the other dog was out, she might have scared her off barking but my daughter was home and didn't hear a sound making me think her dog didn't know what hit her.

Back