Cox vs U-verse

bones said:
What happens in year 3? Are you just back to the usual cox dance? Call every few months and try to get a promo?

i just called several months ago, told them i was trying to cut costs. they said for being a customer sinc 2010 they would give me $20/month off, cant remember if it was 6 or 12 months.

irvinehomeowner said:
I'm not sure if DirecTV and/or DISH is that much cheaper than Cox Digital/Contour TV.

For Advanced Contour TV w/HBO, Phone and Internet I pay $161. Let's say Phone is $20 and Internet is $60 (they are running a special on Preferred 100mb right now). So I'm paying about $80 for 3 boxes, 220+ channels and HBO.

If I do the comparison with DISH or DirectTV, for 3 boxes, 200+ channels and HBO, I'll pay $80-90 depending on the credits (and that's just for the first year, it goes up after that). I'll pay this same price on Cox for 2 years.

So it's really a wash, and at least with cable, I can get basic signal from any outlet so I don't need a box for every room and I only have to deal with 1 vendor. It's more convenient for me (and for those of you who *need* monitored alarm systems, Cox does that too).

Came to the same conclusion.  The decision is really cable or not-to-cable.  If cable, you're just picking the lesser of the 3 or 4 available evils for that particular moment in time.

jmoney74 said:
yup.. the pricing is on par at that point.  You can just cancel and put it under your spouse's name.  ;).

Dont they have some rule where after you cancel, u have to wait 60 days or something, if same last name.

what direct tv needs to do is add the slingbox technology so i can watch my recorded shows at work :)

right now they offe the genie go thing that transfers the shows on your dvr to your iphone/ipad.

irvinehomeowner said:
Dish already has Slingbox tech (which is why I'm looking at them more than DirecTV).

Oh nice. I would like to think that it's only a matter of time for directv then.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Dish already has Slingbox tech (which is why I'm looking at them more than DirecTV).

Oh nice. I would like to think that it's only a matter of time for directv then.
They'll have to develop their own version as Dish's parent owns SlingBox.

amazon had the m1 model for around $115 recently.  its how we watch cable sports these days. Qwerty- I took the hundred from orchard park, added $25 and taped it to the side of the hangar. No man should be deprived of his recorded shows while at work. On a similar note, The sling TV sounds promising. Wonder when they'll roll it out.

aquabliss said:
Wait I don't get it.  Why don't you guys get DirecTV and a Slingbox unit?  Those should work together right?

right?

I'd rather not get a separate unit. It be better if it was integrated. Otherwise I would have already gotten the genie go.

Bones - just came back from the hangar. Thanks for hooking a brother up :)

i subscribe to slingtv (20 bucks a month) n watch it on my amazon fire tv... just testing it out right now, not sure if ill continue subscribing once my prepaid runs out (prepaid for 3 months)...

reason being, right now it only has cnn, disney, espn, tnt, tbs, food, disney, abc family, n a few misc channels... they havent integrated dishworld (the 200+ international channels yet), so kinda sucks n not really worth the 20 dollars a month... if they do integrate with the 200+ international channels, then itll definitely be worthwhile... hopefully itll happen sooner rather then later...

Back