Cox internet speeds

rideBMC said:
Anyone else experiencing slow internet speed from Cox the past 2 days?

No I'd call them and have them run tests to your equipment. Could be a bad modem or router too. I'm sure you've tried power cycling those too right?

I'm at 67Mbs wireless, 11mbs upload.

Will test connected directly to the router later.

In other news, my promo ran out and my bill jumped from $185 to $260!!! I called and they cut $45 off but that's still much higher than I want to pay.

I will look into Dish soon.

Tested tonight for the heck of it, 3 different times I'm at 87Mbps upload and that's through WiFi, not sure why it was only 67Mbps a month ago.

Haven't heard a peep. They were supposed to roll out last year and it was delayed. It's so far only at a couple apartment complexes.

At this point I'll probably just wait for Google Fiber.

I'm sure when Google fiber arrives suddenly Cox starts rolling out gigabit  internet and offers discounts.

Called in and "threaten" to cancel by switching to uverse.. they gave me 100mps for $60.. what is everyone else paying?  I had to sign up for a new contract though.. but it will hopefully be right in time for the Google Fiber switch. 

I have fiber and it's very impressive when nobody is using it.  It's not so impressive during prime time, when I cannot stream crunchyroll @ 1080p.  On bad days even 720p grinds to a halt.

Works great right now, when nobody is home to download Windows 10, warez, pr0n, etc.

On that note, I highly recommend downloading Win10 to USB stick.  Get a 8 GB stick and download both 32 and 64 bit versions.  Great for both upgrades and clean installs.

If you're looking to upgrade your system to play Fallout 4, I would suggest SSD (~$60) and MSI GeForce 950 TI 2GB DDR5 slim card (~$120 @ Newegg) for those on a budget.  The $75 EVGA GeForce 730 2GB DDR5 card will also work for lesser quality graphics setting.

momopi said:
I have fiber and it's very impressive when nobody is using it.  It's not so impressive during prime time, when I cannot stream crunchyroll @ 1080p.  On bad days even 720p grinds to a halt.

Works great right now, when nobody is home to download Windows 10, warez, pr0n, etc.
I think you need to clarify which "fiber" you are referring to. Both VZ and ATT claim their network is fiber, but posters here are referring to Google Fiber which I doubt you have unless you live elsewhere.

irvinehomeowner said:
momopi said:

I think you need to clarify which "fiber" you are referring to. Both VZ and ATT claim their network is fiber, but posters here are referring to Google Fiber which I doubt you have unless you live elsewhere.

Verizon FIOS.

upgraded to Cox Ultimate (300/30) -  really like the upload speeds when uploading stuff to the cloud. definitely noticeable. would definitely recommend. on speednet it consistently does 30 on the upload on wifi.

Just upgraded to 300/30 also. Had to get a new modem, SB6190. My previous one only went up to 250 mbps.

Cox.PNG

Back