Costco Gas Line Drama: Bad Mom and Lazy Hero

Cornflakes said:
SoCal said:
Ready2Downsize said:
I needed gas (because my better half ran it down to next to nothing, thanks for that)

Trust me, it's a guy thing. They seem to really love to let it run as close as possible to Empty before refilling. Like it's a challenge to their manhood to have to stop at the pump a moment too soon. Mine thinks if you go before it's Empty, it's a "wasted trip". This is how we're different. It's the story of my life.

Half a tank left = I'm feeling a little anxious.

The needle is on the picture of the gas can = I'm getting nervous.

3 ticks above Empty = I'm afraid to drive anywhere in case I run out.

If I tell Mr. SoCal: "Is the warning light on?" Me: "No." Him: "Then you've got PLENTY of time!" He then tells me *EXACTLY* how many miles the car is capable of going and reminds me how many it could go even if the fuel light was on. No matter where the needle is, he's got it all calculated down to gnat's ass.

Guys don't consider stuff like... what if something urgent came up and you had to make an unexpected trip? My friend's ex-husband did the same exact thing as mine does. Except one day her dad had a heart attack. When she got that dreaded phone call, they had to stop for gas en route to the hospital while her dad was on Life Support waiting for her to say her goodbyes!!! I always state this example when telling Mr. SoCal the importance of keeping it topped off. He thinks it's no biggie. Men. What are you gonna do. ?\_(?)_/?

Your post made me smile. :) As a guy, dutifully, I calculated that my car goes 400 miles on full tank. There is no reason to fill at 200 miles left in the car. Emergency trips like you mentioned could not be 200 miles long one way, unless you are driving to Phoenix, in which case you will need to fill up anyway. I tell my wife, every 200 mile fill up takes twice as much time as every 400 mile fill up out of my schedule and I much rather do dishes for you than spend time at gas station.

Of course I never win the argument.

Half full is ok but when I get in the car and it says I have 10 miles before I run out of gas, I'm not happy at all. It's not good for the car but it just makes me nervous having such a small amt left in case of an emergency. He's the one who should be nervous. He has enough trips to the emergency room to know we might need that gas.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Liar Loan said:
I will gladly pay an extra $1.40 in order to avoid this mess.

+1 and get yourself a 5% off gas purchases PenFed credit card.

I typically fill up at Arco which doesn't accept credit cards, but in those instances when I'm somewhere that does accept one, I've used the Amex Everyday Preferred.  I value Membership Rewards points at 2.35 cents and gas is a category that pays 3 points, so the average return is about 7%.  (Average return meaning it depends on which airline I transfer the points to.)

Uh, yes it is
Irvinecommuter said:
daedalus said:
Ready2Downsize said:
It's not good for the car
Mostly an old wive's tale.

Actually...it's not:
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...y-low-gas-in-the-tank-can-be-costly/index.htm

And that's why I said "mostly" an old wive's tale.  That article has it right...sucking in air IS bad for the motor.  But running down to 1/4 tank or even 1/8 tank isn't going to cause much of a problem with air in the pump.  You need to be REALLY low to be sucking in enough air for the pump to see a temp rise, and at that point, the car will be running rough from being too lean with all that air sputtering through the injectors.

The old wive's tale part that I was referring to, which I hear and read about frequently, is that we need to keep the tank full enough so that the pump stays submerged in the gas, or it'll run hot and suffer premature failure.  As the article correctly states, the fuel running through the pump is more than adequate to keep it cool.

Loco_local said:
I am too afraid of an earthquake or civil unrest or the Russians attacking the electrical grid to let my tank get lower than 1/4 full. Even then I still get nervous.

I try to refill mine by 1/2 full/empty + Lucas Oil upper Cylinder Lubricant/cleaner.  My cars have 200K-300K miles on the odo and still running on original engine.

Liar Loan said:
I typically fill up at Arco which doesn't accept credit cards

You need to live in Irvine. I believe both the Arco near Cypress Village (off of Jeffrey and Roosevelt) and the Arco in Quail Hill both accept credit cards.

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
I typically fill up at Arco which doesn't accept credit cards

You need to live in Irvine. I believe both the Arco near Cypress Village (off of Jeffrey and Roosevelt) and the Arco in Quail Hill both accept credit cards.

The ARCO's in Irvine are more expensive though:  $3.23-$3.25 vs. $2.93 at the ARCO I frequent.

It's not worth paying $5 in higher prices to get $3 in CC rewards. :D

It seems to me that the 10% ethanol that are in the cheaper gas (Arco) gives 10% worse gas mileage.  There are a lot of articles on the internet about it, but everyone agrees ethanol gives worse mpg.

zubs said:
It seems to me that the 10% ethanol that are in the cheaper gas (Arco) gives 10% worse gas mileage.  There are a lot of articles on the internet about it, but everyone agrees ethanol gives worse mpg.

And you get your debit card skimmed when you pay ...

Loco_local said:
I am too afraid of an earthquake or civil unrest or the Russians attacking the electrical grid to let my tank get lower than 1/4 full. Even then I still get nervous.

Your too funny.

Back