Corte Bella in OH or Jasmine in CV

paydawg said:
Your first sentence "The truth is I would buy at OH" contradicts the rest of what you wrote.  Did you mean you 'wouldn't' buy at OH?  You gave several reasons why you couldn't justify the premium or the perceived prestige. 

soysen said:
bones said:
I think it's all pretty subjective. You obviously won't be a buyer there but there are others that are and willing to pay a premium for it.  To each their own.

The truth is I would buy at OH, I just don't understand what the prestige is all about but I'm trying to get it. The lots look typical Irvine packed style. The HOA at Entrata and vista scena at 385 is ridiculous. The "SFRs" at Corte Bella, with its zero lot lines where owners can't even access one of their exterior walls is cringe worthy. And for a million?? Others call the location secluded, but it's really no more secluded than any other community. On the other hand it's a pain just to run errands and go anywhere without a car. "boonies" seems more fitting than secluded. Some lots do have a nice view, but those lots few and far between. Parks are pretty sparse at OH when compared to BP or even Legacy.

Hmmm so someone please explain the Premium OH is selling on? Seems all smoke and mirrors to me.

Thanks for asking. Yes, I would buy in OH if someone can help me understand why OH is prestige. I know Irvine Co. is selling OH on prestige, but every time I visit the community I don't see any of the claims. So as I have previously stated, it seems all smoke and mirrors to me.

But again, I'm asking someone who knows better to counter my argument and put me in my place.

soysen said:
paydawg said:
Your first sentence "The truth is I would buy at OH" contradicts the rest of what you wrote.  Did you mean you 'wouldn't' buy at OH?  You gave several reasons why you couldn't justify the premium or the perceived prestige. 

soysen said:
bones said:
I think it's all pretty subjective. You obviously won't be a buyer there but there are others that are and willing to pay a premium for it.  To each their own.

The truth is I would buy at OH, I just don't understand what the prestige is all about but I'm trying to get it. The lots look typical Irvine packed style. The HOA at Entrata and vista scena at 385 is ridiculous. The "SFRs" at Corte Bella, with its zero lot lines where owners can't even access one of their exterior walls is cringe worthy. And for a million?? Others call the location secluded, but it's really no more secluded than any other community. On the other hand it's a pain just to run errands and go anywhere without a car. "boonies" seems more fitting than secluded. Some lots do have a nice view, but those lots few and far between. Parks are pretty sparse at OH when compared to BP or even Legacy.

Hmmm so someone please explain the Premium OH is selling on? Seems all smoke and mirrors to me.

Thanks for asking. Yes, I would buy in OH if someone can help me understand why OH is prestige. I know Irvine Co. is selling OH on prestige, but every time I visit the community I don't see any of the claims. So as I have previously stated, it seems all smoke and mirrors to me.

But again, I'm asking someone who knows better to counter my argument and put me in my place.

Well, one reason is that TUSD now offers online elementary schools!  IUSD doesn't offer that.  Boo!

HomeShopper said:
Corte Bella plan 1 in OH without a view or Jasmine in CV?

It's difficult to answer a question like this for somebody else. 

I always thought we would end up buying at OH, but we ended up at Jasmine.  I'm a trees and trail kind of person and always relished the idea of being up in the "hills" rather than in a regular neighborhood.  But, my husband thought OH was overpriced, and I couldn't argue with that.  I didn't try to win this battle because I believed he was right.

There wasn't really a good fit for us in OH anyway.  I guess Corte Bella was close enough to Jasmine Plan 3, but there were some things about the floor plan that bugged me.  I thought the kitchen there was really weak.  If I had loved the floor plan at CB, I might have made a good pitch for it, but I couldn't.  Originally we were looking at Vista Scena because I assumed our budget would be in that range, but the homes were smaller and a bit awkward and although I didn't mind attached, I did mind the outrageous HOAs.

We also didn't take too long to decide either.  When we visited Jasmine, they had a Plan 3 corner lot available from an earlier phase so it was "discounted".  Someone had just dropped the ball on it, so it was up for grabs (clever sales tactic).  We thought that 1974 sq.ft on a corner lot away from the freeway would be attractive for re-sale and if we stayed long enough, we would eventually enjoy walking distance to CV elementary (our son is 5 months old).  There were pools and parks in close proximity. I'm a long-distance runner, so I can still enjoy the trails from afar :). These are the reasons why we went with Jasmine.

Lately I've been second-guessing this decision because Eastwood will be opening early next  year and I think I would like that location.  The reality is we are tired of being in our tiny rental and didn't want to wait an extra ~9 months so that's the way it goes...

Good luck with making your decision!

WTTCHMN said:
soysen said:
paydawg said:

soysen said:
bones said:

Well, one reason is that TUSD now offers online elementary schools!  IUSD doesn't offer that.  Boo!

Also you get an iPad if you are with TUSD. (Waste of money if you ask me)

All the OH homes are elevated compared to the neighborhoods below, usually indicates a premium, because there will always be some houses with great views that'll bring the values higher.

AW said:
All the OH homes are elevated compared to the neighborhoods below, usually indicates a premium, because there will always be some houses with great views that'll bring the values higher.

That's true. It's the exclusiveness feel.

soysen said:
paydawg said:

soysen said:
bones said:

Let me help you understand.  The Irvine Company has incredible power in shaping the perceived value of a community.  For example, TIC positioned Quail Hill and Northpark as premium neighborhoods and over the past 15 years, that that proven to be the case in terms of resale value.  In that same period of time, TIC did not give the premium treatment to Portola Springs and Oak Creek and the resale performance over the past 15 years has been inferior to its premium contemporaries in Quail Hill and Northpark.  There is nothing wrong with buying in a non-premium TIC village like CV, but don't buy it because you think you are getting a "deal" vs. a TIC premium village like OH.

AW said:

One thing that bugs me about OH (non Groves side) is that Strada is at the bottom of the hill. Strada's the most expensive development on that side of OH, yet it's located at the most non-prestigious part of it. (Contrast OH to Quail Hill, where the further up you go, the nicer the homes get; I affectionately refer to the bottom of Quail Hill as Quail Mound, haha). Can someone please shed some light on why they designed it that way?

Floor plans and budgets are all relative and subject so OP needs to decide his/herself.

OH has the hill views, exclusivity, and better resale value. 

CV has easier access and more centrally located.

I personally don't like OH because you basically need to drive everything (including swimming pool, park, and school) but high resale value is important.

viobruin said:
AW said:

One thing that bugs me about OH (non Groves side) is that Strada is at the bottom of the hill. Strada's the most expensive development on that side of OH, yet it's located at the most non-prestigious part of it. (Contrast OH to Quail Hill, where the further up you go, the nicer the homes get; I affectionately refer to the bottom of Quail Hill as Quail Mound, haha). Can someone please shed some light on why they designed it that way?

The Strada's location provide some unobstructed view of the city where others like Entrata, Vista Scena and Corte Bella are block by a small hill and the Northwood High.

Strada is not at the bottom of the hill, it's actually located higher elevation than Terrazaz and home close to Narrow Path actually able to have a nice city view, looking over the Terrazza community.

lnc said:
viobruin said:
AW said:

The Strada's location provide some unobstructed view of the city where others like Entrata, Vista Scena and Corte Bella are block by a small hill and the Northwood High.

Strada is not at the bottom of the hill, it's actually located higher elevation than Terrazaz and home close to Narrow Path actually able to have a nice city view, looking over the Terrazza community.

The Iron Horse side of Strada looks to be at the bottom of the hill as there are homes looking down on them (Entrada homes?).

We moved in a few weeks ago, and so I wouldn't say "settled" just yet.  We have a lot of work to do.  But, we love the space and how everything is turning out.  It's double the space we're used to and the home gets a lot of light so it's a nice place to be.  Hopefully our neighbors turn out to be cool people. 

Still, I cannot say I don't wish to be in Eastwood Village because I still prefer that location. I would have to see the models to really know if I'm sorry we didn't wait, but I'm pretty sure our house in Eastwood will cost way too much.  So....since I cannot do anything about it anyway, and we're fortunate to have a nice house, I'm going to be grateful and move on  ;).

paydawg said:
Zenyatta1 said:
HomeShopper said:
Corte Bella plan 1 in OH without a view or Jasmine in CV?

It's difficult to answer a question like this for somebody else. 

I always thought we would end up buying at OH, but we ended up at Jasmine.  I'm a trees and trail kind of person and always relished the idea of being up in the "hills" rather than in a regular neighborhood.  But, my husband thought OH was overpriced, and I couldn't argue with that.  I didn't try to win this battle because I believed he was right.

There wasn't really a good fit for us in OH anyway.  I guess Corte Bella was close enough to Jasmine Plan 3, but there were some things about the floor plan that bugged me.  I thought the kitchen there was really weak.  If I had loved the floor plan at CB, I might have made a good pitch for it, but I couldn't.  Originally we were looking at Vista Scena because I assumed our budget would be in that range, but the homes were smaller and a bit awkward and although I didn't mind attached, I did mind the outrageous HOAs.

We also didn't take too long to decide either.  When we visited Jasmine, they had a Plan 3 corner lot available from an earlier phase so it was "discounted".  Someone had just dropped the ball on it, so it was up for grabs (clever sales tactic).  We thought that 1974 sq.ft on a corner lot away from the freeway would be attractive for re-sale and if we stayed long enough, we would eventually enjoy walking distance to CV elementary (our son is 5 months old).  There were pools and parks in close proximity. I'm a long-distance runner, so I can still enjoy the trails from afar :). These are the reasons why we went with Jasmine.

Lately I've been second-guessing this decision because Eastwood will be opening early next  year and I think I would like that location.  The reality is we are tired of being in our tiny rental and didn't want to wait an extra ~9 months so that's the way it goes...

Good luck with making your decision!

I'm assuming you've settled all in to your Jasmine home.  Do you still second guess your decision or are you at least happy with your home?  Just curious.  :)

Back