coronavirus

Soylent Green Is People said:
It's been shown already that this current outbreak is due to several strains of the Covid-19 Coronavirus. If it was here last year given open travel, there should have been a wider transmission of the disease. It also begs the question if 2018-2019 flu season was Covid-19 impacted, and 2019-2020 saw it rage, what will another variant in the 2020-2021 flu season do?

My .02c

Another conspiracy theory by the soy. He can not say because the CA governor acted quickly. Meanwhile the other states are having a big problem such as Louisiana. (Because they did not a shutdown until it was too late?)

irvinehomeowner said:
nosuchreality said:
Stanford researchers are investigating if undetected coronavirus may have hit California last year, helping the state develop an early herd immunity. -https://abc7.com/health/were-californians-exposed-to-coronavirus-last-year/6091220/

If this is true, this may jive with what another poster (iacrenter?) said that the flu that had so many more deaths this past season may have actually been Covid-related.

Here is a link to a better article discussing California's Herd Immunity:https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-california-herd-immunity/

It is an interesting theory and would match up with my clinical experience. We did see a surge of "flu"/pneumonia patients in the Fall in SoCal. If COIVD has been circulating in the community for that long, then many folks have already been exposed. This is only a theory and until we get widespread antibody testing, we can't be sure.

Whatever the reason for California's good fortune, sound public health policy will dictate we continue home isolation/social distancing for a while. We need to take advantage of this flattening of our curve: start using masks in public, increase PPE and related medical supplies for healthcare, and massively ramp up PCR nasal swab testing and start antibody testing as well. Ultimately a vaccine (which is a long way off) will be the long term solution.

NY Post Article: More recovered coronavirus patients in South Korea are testing positive again

The number of people in South Korea who tested positive for the coronavirus for a second time after apparently recovering has risen to 91 ? an increase of 40 from the 51 reported earlier this week, according to a report.

Jeong Eun-kyeong, head of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters that the virus may have been ?reactivated? rather than the patients being reinfected, Reuters reported.

Health authorities in the country said epidemiological investigations were under way to figure out what is behind the disturbing trend ? as many countries are hoping that people will develop sufficient immunity to prevent a resurgence of the pandemic.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/10/recovered-coronavirus-patients-in-south-korea-testing-positive-again/

Immune or not immune? Idk

eyephone said:

This is the scariest part of it.

Whether or not previous exposure creates immunity, there still has to be part of the population who are naturally immune (like Matt Damon :) ). If we could identify that, we may be able to do more.

Anyone know when these antibody tests will be readily available?  I mean like when I can go into Hoag Woodbury Urgent Care and just get a test, wait 15min for the results.

Three main variants.  Type A original mutated to Type B, type B mutated to Type C.  JIMHO, that screams going to be seasonal to me. We really need mass anti-body testing to figure out how lethal they are in general instead of looking at highly sick population counts.  Also need to break down and start testing by variant.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200409085644.htm

Forster and colleagues found that the closest type of COVID-19 to the one discovered in bats -- type 'A', the "original human virus genome" -- was present in Wuhan, but surprisingly was not the city's predominant virus type.

Mutated versions of 'A' were seen in Americans reported to have lived in Wuhan, and a large number of A-type viruses were found in patients from the US and Australia.

Wuhan's major virus type, 'B', was prevalent in patients from across East Asia. However, the variant didn't travel much beyond the region without further mutations -- implying a "founder event" in Wuhan, or "resistance" against this type of COVID-19 outside East Asia, say researchers.

The 'C' variant is the major European type, found in early patients from France, Italy, Sweden and England. It is absent from the study's Chinese mainland sample, but seen in Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

This is the scariest part of it.

Whether or not previous exposure creates immunity, there still has to be part of the population who are naturally immune (like Matt Damon :) ). If we could identify that, we may be able to do more.

Even if you have been infected and recovered, it does not guarantee immunity. Other viruses offer immunity but this is a novel virus and experts aren't sure yet. Like flu, this thing could have different strains/mutate making immunity and vaccination development difficult.

The fact that people test positive a 2nd time after recovering could simply be a function of residual virus particles in their nose as opposed to active infection. I'm not sure what test they use in Korea, but the more common test in the US detects minute amounts of viral protein (RNA)in your nose. You can fully recover and not necessarily be infectious, yet still detect this protein. It may also be the case, some of these people could be getting co-infected or newly infected with something else--bacterial pneumonia, influenza, and/or other virus-causing new symptoms to appear.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
iacrenter said:
Stanford researchers are investigating if undetected coronavirus may have hit California last year, helping the state develop an early herd immunity. -https://abc7.com/health/were-californians-exposed-to-coronavirus-last-year/6091220/

Yes, thats what I was thinking - So many visitors from China visit CA and yet the number of cases is so much lower compared to NY. Just look at Irvine as an example.

Orange to apples comparing to NY
We do not have mass transit like NY. (Close quarters)

aquabliss said:
Anyone know when these antibody tests will be readily available?  I mean like when I can go into Hoag Woodbury Urgent Care and just get a test, wait 15min for the results.

One of my friends here in OC got an antibody test last week. He had a bad case on pneumonia last late year. Sadly the result came back: NEGATIVE

They are available at Westminster mall for 75. 125 for the nasal swab. Not sure if they are still doing but I read about recently. Drive through setup.

nosuchreality said:
Three main variants.  Type A original mutated to Type B, type B mutated to Type C.  JIMHO, that screams going to be seasonal to me. We really need mass anti-body testing to figure out how lethal they are in general instead of looking at highly sick population counts.  Also need to break down and start testing by variant.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200409085644.htm

Forster and colleagues found that the closest type of COVID-19 to the one discovered in bats -- type 'A', the "original human virus genome" -- was present in Wuhan, but surprisingly was not the city's predominant virus type.

Mutated versions of 'A' were seen in Americans reported to have lived in Wuhan, and a large number of A-type viruses were found in patients from the US and Australia.

Wuhan's major virus type, 'B', was prevalent in patients from across East Asia. However, the variant didn't travel much beyond the region without further mutations -- implying a "founder event" in Wuhan, or "resistance" against this type of COVID-19 outside East Asia, say researchers.

The 'C' variant is the major European type, found in early patients from France, Italy, Sweden and England. It is absent from the study's Chinese mainland sample, but seen in Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea.

This is a pretty interesting read. 

So an American or Australian might be the patient zero?  There's one particular American being know to hide out in the bat cave....

As a suggestion for this weekends viewing list, please take the time to watch the film "Network". Not only is it one of the sharpest satires ever produced, but so, so timely.

My guess is that by Wednesday, maybe Thursday of next week, we're all going to become Howard Beale.

My .02c

By California apparently succeeding in flattening the curve, did the state just extend this coronavirus issue for a longer timeline than other states?

paperboyNC said:
aquabliss said:

One of my friends here in OC got an antibody test last week. He had a bad case on pneumonia last late year. Sadly the result came back: NEGATIVE
https://twitter.com/sacca/status/1248639093879107585

He's saying countless think they've had it, but so far his data isn't showing that.

DBtoOC said:
By California apparently succeeding in flattening the curve, did the state just extend this coronavirus issue for a longer timeline than other states?

JIMHO, the six trillion dollar question is how successful has NYC been in flattening the curve?

Are those NYC results barely avoiding catastrophe or a fairly effective if sluggish start on curve flattening.

qwerty said:
They are available at Westminster mall for 75. 125 for the nasal swab. Not sure if they are still doing but I read about recently. Drive through setup.

Yeah, I'm going to go next week when I get back from Vegas to get the antibody test as I was sick in mid-Feb.

DBtoOC said:

Flattening the curve will increase the length of time for the disease to move through the community. But this is a good trade off versus the alternative in New York City. A sudden spike in cases will overwhelm the healthcare system and cause needless deaths.

iacrenter said:
DBtoOC said:

Flattening the curve will increase the length of time for the disease to move through the community. But this is a good trade off versus the alternative in New York City. A sudden spike in cases will overwhelm the healthcare system and cause needless deaths.

Yeah.  I'm not questioning the benefits of flattening the curve.  That's a must.  I'm just sobering up to the reality that we'll be living with this issue for a much longer period of time that I was hoping. 

Back