Common Core Standards

From next year I think, in SAUSD, they will have common core (CC) 1 for 9th grade, CC 2 for 10th grade and CC3 for 11th grade.  Then you take a 12 grade Math class which can be College Algebra (Advanced Algebra concepts higher than Algebra II with some trig),  and AP Calc. 

CC 1, 2 and 3 will all have Geometry, Alg I, Alg II, Probab and Stats and Math Analysis (Pre-Calc).  If you are recommended, then you go into the accelerated CC 1, 2, and 3. 

sentosa said:
geometry is after algebra1 and then it's algebra2. so when they move algebra1 to 9th grade, you have to take geometry in 10th and algebra 2 in 11th and precalculus in 12th. so you won't be able to do AP calculus or AP statistics.
From what I can remember from high school, my math classes were broken in to halves for some of the years:

Freshman: Algebra I
Sophomore: Geometry/Algebra II
Junior: Trignometry/PreCalculus
Senior: Calculus

This was if you were planning to major in a science or engineering course for college.

By the way, here is the link about what they are doing with this placement test for 7th/8th graders:
https://www.iusd.org/education_services/Mathematics.html

All students entering 7th grade will be provisionally placed in 7th Grade Common Core Math pending results of the mandatory Middle School Math Acceleration Test (MSMAT).

- The test is composed of all open-response items. Students have a maximum of 2.5 hours to complete the test. It will assess California 7th Grade Common Core Standards, which can be found here, pages 46-51.
- Scoring will be based on Domains (Cluster Scores) as well as an overall score.
- Students who achieve a passing score will be placed in 8th Grade Common Core Math for 7th Grade AND have the opportunity to take the Algebra Acceleration Test (AAT).
- Students who do not achieve a passing score will remain in 7th Grade Common Core Math AND have a 2nd chance to take the MSMAT during the summer. (2nd chances apply only to current IUSD students. New incoming students to IUSD have only one chance.)
- Students who pass both the MSMAT and the AAT will be placed in Algebra 1 for 7th Grade.

From what I gather, this "boogie man test" is to determine if your exiting 6th grader kid will go into the accelerated math class (8th grade CC) instead of the normal 7th grade CC class. And if they pass that test, they can also take the Algebra Acceleration Test and if they pass that, can be placed in Algebra for 7th grade.

If they are a current IUSD student, they can retake the test again during the summer (so prep now sentosa!!!).

They also take the Algebra Acceleration Test before entering 8th grade to determine what math program they can be entered in.

So it's not the end of the world. And if you are really concerned about fast-tracking for math in high school, they can always take summer school during high school.

Also, sample test questions from the 7th grade CC curriculum to understand what CC is about:
https://www.iusd.org/education_services/documents/7thSmarterBalancePracticeTest.pdf

irvinehomeowner said:
Also, sample test questions from the 7th grade CC curriculum to understand what CC is about:
https://www.iusd.org/education_services/documents/7thSmarterBalancePracticeTest.pdf

Ouch! Those questions are more difficult than what used to be on the college admissions tests (SAT and ACT). Most college students would not be able to correctly answer all these questions. Many of the questions have multiple parts or require you to calculate multiple things so those 21 sample questions are actually over 40 "questions". I am not surprised that the majority of kids who completed the 6th grade would not pass this exam.

You really have to think before answering most of these questions. Is that a good thing? Is it better than how tests were written in past? How are the principles that are being tested here taught in the classroom?

zovall said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Ouch! Those questions are more difficult than what used to be on the college admissions tests (SAT and ACT). Most college students would not be able to correctly answer all these questions. Many of the questions have multiple parts or require you to calculate multiple things so those 21 sample questions are actually over 40 "questions". I am not surprised that the majority of kids who completed the 6th grade would not pass this exam.

You really have to think before answering most of these questions. Is that a good thing? Is it better than how tests were written in past? How are the principles that are being tested here taught in the classroom?

There's a difference between difficult and retarded

Drag and drop = conditioning people to be idiots

Irvinecommuter said:
We had this discussion a million times...you can believe the standards are "lower" but they're not.  Every teacher I have spoken to on the matter have expressed relief about how the standards have increased because of the implementation of common core and allowed them to have more freedom in challenging/instructing their children rather than stick to some antiquated standards created years earlier.

Change is hard...doesn't mean it's bad.

Once again, you are completely wrong.  We never had this discussion.  Even the CA committee that reviewed Common Core in 2010 admitted they were LOWER than current CA standards. 

Here's all the detail you need on this topic:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpioneerinstitute.org%2Feducation%2Fcommon-core-standards-still-dont-make-the-grade%2F&ei=bLqhU-bsLsaoyATs1oJQ&usg=AFQjCNGB-lSUNwVQ6sXb_kqRRxGPXUTi-g&bvm=bv.69137298,d.aWw

And here is the link to the detailed report:
http://pioneerinstitute.org/?wpdmdl=26&

You can also find the report from the 2010 CA committee online where they matched Common Core grade by grade to CA standards and where it shows about an average ONE YEAR downgrade in math for CA kids.

Even the most staunch Common Core proponents don't try to argue that Common Core is not a step down from CA standards.  So, you lose all credibility when you try to argue this.

sentosa said:
Irvinecommuter said:
What I wish parents would do is work with the district and teachers on how to improve the tests and teaching rather than start pointing and blaming.  Recognize the underlying goals and push in the same direction.
after communicating with the district/school/teachers, seems that there is nothing parents can do and don't waste your time expecting the school/iusd will even listen to you.

That's the whole point and the biggest issue with Common Core.  Our local school district has lost all control by abdicating control over standards, tests and by default, curriculum and textbooks, to Common Core.  We as parents were not asked if we wanted Common Core. Now we are stuck with it and there is nothing our school can do unless they opt-out of it.  THEY CAN DO THIS.  The California state constitution ensures that local schools have the right to choose their own standards, tests, etc.  IUSD could choose another set of standards and tests, etc.

zovall said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Really?  I don't see the questions being all that difficult.  Most of them are algebra skill sets. 

When is thinking before answering an answer a bad thing? 

test said:
zovall said:
irvinehomeowner said:

There's a difference between difficult and retarded

Drag and drop = conditioning people to be idiots

Isn't the test on a computer?

Yep! said:
sentosa said:
Irvinecommuter said:
What I wish parents would do is work with the district and teachers on how to improve the tests and teaching rather than start pointing and blaming.  Recognize the underlying goals and push in the same direction.
after communicating with the district/school/teachers, seems that there is nothing parents can do and don't waste your time expecting the school/iusd will even listen to you.

That's the whole point and the biggest issue with Common Core.  Our local school district has lost all control by abdicating control over standards, tests and by default, curriculum and textbooks, to Common Core.  We as parents were not asked if we wanted Common Core. Now we are stuck with it and there is nothing our school can do unless they opt-out of it.  THEY CAN DO THIS.  The California state constitution ensures that local schools have the right to choose their own standards, tests, etc.  IUSD could choose another set of standards and tests, etc.

Hmmm, when were parents ever involved in choosing standards or curriculum?

I think the very low pass rates highlight how very large all that test prep, test taking strategies, are for grooming towards a particular format.

IOW it shows the kids are very good at mastering a particular test format more so than the raw material

nosuchreality said:
I think the very low pass rates highlight how very large all that test prep, test taking strategies, are for grooming towards a particular format.

IOW it shows the kids are very good at mastering a particular test format more so than the raw material

It will very interesting to see what happens with the new SAT...talk about freakout.

irvinehomeowner said:
From what I can remember from high school, my math classes were broken in to halves for some of the years:

This was if you were planning to major in a science or engineering course for college.

Right now, the track that most kids strive for is:

7th: Algebra I
8th: Geometry
Freshman: Algebra II
Sophomore: Precalculus
Junior: Calculus
Senior: Multivariable Calculus

IMHO  Geo/AlgII/Trig/Precalc is a little too much to be cramming into 2 years.

FYI-  Heard that IUSD has now adjusted the criteria for scoring the MSMAT for this year. They are now using either a total score on the test (80% or better) or achieving the minimum number of points possible on each of the 5 domains.  Notifications going out via email this week.

Students who have now passed MSMAT will have 2 opportunities this summer to take the AAT test if they so choose,  otherwise,  they will be in Common Core 8.

deviousflyingtaco said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Right now, the track that most kids strive for is:

7th: Algebra I
8th: Geometry
Freshman: Algebra II
Sophomore: Precalculus
Junior: Calculus
Senior: Multivariable Calculus

IMHO  Geo/AlgII/Trig/Precalc is a little too much to be cramming into 2 years.

No. Only advanced students (pass AAT) are allowed to take algebra 1 at 7th grade and geometry at 8th grade. Normal track is:
7th grade: common core math grade 7
8th grade: common core math grade 8
9th grade: algebra 1
10th grade: geometry
11th grade: algebra 2
12th grade: pre-calculus

abcd1234 said:
Thanks for the heads up.  Where did you hear this from?

A friend with a current 6th grader received the email yesterday.  Our friend thinks IUSD is starting the notifications with the kids who already signed up to re-take the MSMAT over the summer  (which they don't need to now).

Back