Columbus Square: how will Village of Hope affect value of home?

sno2c_IHB

I just found out the children of the homeless families that will be living in the Village of Hope will be attending the same schools as the residents of Columbus Square. We fell in love with one of the units they will be building, but we are very concerned about the impact this will have on the value of our home if we decide to buy. Any suggestions / insight / comments?

[quote author="sno2c" date=1213147619]I just found out the children of the homeless families that will be living in the Village of Hope will be attending the same schools as the residents of Columbus Square. We fell in love with one of the units they will be building, but we are very concerned about the impact this will have on the value of our home if we decide to buy. Any suggestions / insight / comments?</blockquote>

Try using the search function... Type in Village of Hope and you will probably find a discussion in an old thread.

[quote author="sno2c" date=1213147619]I just found out the children of the homeless families that will be living in the Village of Hope will be attending the same schools as the residents of Columbus Square. We fell in love with one of the units they will be building, but we are very concerned about the impact this will have on the value of our home if we decide to buy. Any suggestions / insight / comments?</blockquote>

The answer to your question is close at hand.

Look in the mirror.

What do you see? A Columbus Square potential buyer!

Ask the mirror, are potential buyers concerned the Village of Hope will drag down the schools?

What does the potential buyer say?

Ask the mirror, are potential buyers concerned Village of Hope will impact the value of the home?

Ask the mirror, do potential buyers want to live anywhere near a place like Village of Hope?

You now have a good idea of what a portion of the target market is going to think. As you can see, the fact that they don't know and don't have all the information, doesn't change their initial reaction for people like you.

It does not bother me having diverse mixture of families. To many Irvinites Village of Hope is Value of Hopelessness.

[quote author="No_Such_Reality" date=1213153412][quote author="sno2c" date=1213147619]I just found out the children of the homeless families that will be living in the Village of Hope will be attending the same schools as the residents of Columbus Square. We fell in love with one of the units they will be building, but we are very concerned about the impact this will have on the value of our home if we decide to buy. Any suggestions / insight / comments?</blockquote>

The answer to your question is close at hand.

Look in the mirror.

What do you see? A Columbus Square potential buyer!

Ask the mirror, are potential buyers concerned the Village of Hope will drag down the schools?

Ask the mirror, are potential buyers concerned Village of Hope will impact the value of the home?

Ask the mirror, do potential buyers want to live anywhere near a place like Village of Hope?

You now have a good idea of what a portion of the target market is going to think. As you can see, the fact that they don't know and don't have all the information, doesn't change their initial reaction for people like you.</blockquote>

Let me clarify: If I were to live in this home the rest of my life, I'd buy today. I am 100% fine with my kids attending these schools. The Village of Hope is a very noble thing that the City of Tustin is doing and I am so happy something this large scale is happening in Orange County. I am excited about being a part of the solution, not the problem. My worry was strictly business-related. This is our first time buying a home and I've always heard "buy near good schools" - a friend thought the home values would be in jeopardy, and I got worried. We are hoping that when we outgrow this home and sell it, we won't be in the hole.

Re-reading my initial post, I'm disgusted at my choice of words - my apologies.

Fact is, we love the home, we love the area, we love that there will be parks everywhere, we love that there will be new schools. It's exactly what we were looking for. That is what I hope a buyer will see in 5-10 years when we potentially sell it.

I'm not dissing you for asking the question. I would be concerned about making an investment of this size without considering everything about it, and this certainly qualifies. But between the NIMBYism that runs rampant these days and the topic, it makes me kind of sad we have reached an evolution in our communities that we continue to need to talk about it at all.

I'm sure you ment no offense.

No impact whatsoever.

Let's say you decide to sell in 5 years and your home is worth 600K, it would be like...

Buyer: "Hey, I wanna buy your house, but ummm... the school has homeless children in it. Give me a discount!"

You: "Umm... How about I pay closing costs?"

Buyer: "How about you give me another 10% off? Since the soil is toxic and I cant plant trees."

You: "Umm... How about closing costs plus 5% off?"

Buyer: "How about you give me 20% because of all the asians around here?"

You: "Umm.... Umm...?"

You see?

Why would you want to sell to somebody that doesnt want to be in this neighborhood?

Why would somebody want to buy your home when they do not want to live in this kind of neighborhood?

A buyer will buy your home because they like the neighborhood, the home, and they will learn to buy fruits

from the supermarket instead of planting them in the backyard!

[quote author="sno2c" date=1213157671]Let me clarify: If I were to live in this home the rest of my life, I'd buy today. I am 100% fine with my kids attending these schools. The Village of Hope is a very noble thing that the City of Tustin is doing and I am so happy something this large scale is happening in Orange County. I am excited about being a part of the solution, not the problem. My worry was strictly business-related. This is our first time buying a home and I've always heard "buy near good schools" - a friend thought the home values would be in jeopardy, and I got worried. We are hoping that when we outgrow this home and sell it, we won't be in the hole.

Re-reading my initial post, I'm disgusted at my choice of words - my apologies.

Fact is, we love the home, we love the area, we love that there will be parks everywhere, we love that there will be new schools. It's exactly what we were looking for. That is what I hope a buyer will see in 5-10 years when we potentially sell it.</blockquote>

It might be a good life lesson for the kids whom don't know what hardship is? Maybe the well to do kids will realize there's more to life than the latest video games?

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1213158144]I'm not dissing you for asking the question. I would be concerned about making an investment of this size without considering everything about it, and this certainly qualifies. But between the NIMBYism that runs rampant these days and the topic, it makes me kind of sad we have reached an evolution in our communities that we continue to need to talk about it at all.

I'm sure you ment no offense.</blockquote>

Why are we being so PC? I think sno2c has a valid point. Socioeconomics have a direct impact on quality of life such as crime and education. We wouldn't be obsessing about Irvine housing if we didn't care about the unique socioeconomic and other demographic features of this city.

So let us be honest here. So one Village of Hope shows up in your neighborhood--no big deal right? Sure I am okay with that. Okay, how about 5? How about 10? etc... I am NOT saying we shouldn't welcome diversity and help your fellow man but one must gauge the impact of such communities. With good community planning, helping house the homeless can be spread across the region without unfairly taxing one particular community.

So bottom line, I don't think one Village of Hope will significantly impact home prices unless you live right across the street from the complex. I think it is a good idea as long as careful thought and planning has gone into the project, including community feedback.

Just look at LA - some of the most expensive homes are only blocks away from the ghetto. Asides, Village of Hope is only temporary housing - I don't think that kids will end up growing up there.

Another good example is Foothill High. It's a good school in a good neighborhood although it's across from Hillview High - a continuation school. As for Tustin High, I have to admit it's one of the lower schools. But Columbus Sqare is equal distant between Tustin High and Irvine High. I think proximity to a good/bad school also affects the quality of the neighborhood.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1213158144]I'm not dissing you for asking the question. I would be concerned about making an investment of this size without considering everything about it, and this certainly qualifies. But between the NIMBYism that runs rampant these days and the topic, it makes me kind of sad we have reached an evolution in our communities that we continue to need to talk about it at all.

I'm sure you ment no offense.</blockquote>

There is nothing that ANYONE should be offended about in asking what effect a large homeless housing project will have on neighborhood crime rates/school rankings/resale values. He's using logic to assist in determining an outcome to a potential decision. More people should do it.

As far as 'reaching an evolution in the community where we need to talk about it all', isn't that a good thing? Intelligent discussion on items that may have huge potential impact to daily life is important... at least to me!

To put it in perspective:

Compton. Watts. Santa Ana.

Would the neighborhood demographics affect your buying decision?

How about if you had school-aged children?

There is nothing offensive about that. Where I'm from (hint: NOT California) we call this 'common sense' or 'reality'.

Back