Coffee thread, post your favorites and recommendations

@irvinehomeowner - Where is the Lost Bean opening in Irvine?

also, coffee tomo has delicious freshly baked jalapeno cheese pretzels if you want something to eat with your coffee. really addicting.

we need a Philz coffee to open up in Irvine or somewhere closer than HB...

Peet's is the standard place we go to...certainly for beans.  They used to have a buy half pound get half pound off promo but not any more.

Tried basically all the fancier places:  Kona (DJ), Ceilo, Keans, Portola...all pretty good. 

We have Kean Coffee at work and it's really good.  They have locations in Newport Beach and Tustin. 

Irvinecommuter said:
Peet's is the standard place we go to...certainly for beans.  They used to have a buy half pound get half pound off promo but not any more.

Tried basically all the fancier places:  Kona (DJ), Ceilo, Keans, Portola...all pretty good.

The coupon is still on the Irvine Company shopping app. Expires tomorrow.  Hopefully it will be back next month or I will be disappointed.

If you ever make the trip up to LA intelligentsia is a must try. Get one of the hand pours. They brew in a chemex. A lot of flavors come out of their beans and brew method, very tasty. Venice beach location is my favorite, but there are a few around, one in pasadena also.

In OC, Bodhi Leaf just opened near the home depot in foothill ranch replacing Hidden House. Some of the best beans around. There is also one in Orange.

Portola is also great. The unwashed Geisha beans are some of the best coffee beans you can get period. Their lattes are also delicious thanks to the Straus Farms 'Barista Grade' milk they use.

Bodhi Leaf has some seriously world class coffee beans for home brewers. Driving up to Anaheim is kind of a pain though, so I stick to Portola out of convenience. Well actually that's a lie, I'll usually stick to Starbucks out of convenience because it's walking distance. Kean is great too in Old Town Tustin.

I think Intelligentsia is a bit overrated (darker roast than I prefer), for me I'd rather have a siphon pour from Demitasse or Balconi in West LA. Not sure there is a place that does siphons in all of OC, let alone Irvine.

cancer alert!

Coffee needs cancer warning in California, judge rules

A Los Angeles judge has ruled that coffee companies need to carry a cancer warning label in California.

Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle said in a proposed decision Wednesday that Starbucks and other coffee companies failed to prove the threat from a chemical compound produced during coffee roasting was insignificant.

The chemical, acrylamide, is a carcinogen created when coffee beans are roasted. The carcinogen is one in a list of chemicals the state of California considers possible causes of cancer. Alcoholic beverages are also on the list.

The lawsuit was first filed in 2010 by a nonprofit group who targeted coffee roasters, distributors and retailers that make or sell coffee for failing ?to provide clear and reasonable warning? that drinking coffee could expose people to acrylamide.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/03/29/coffee-needs-cancer-warning-in-california-judge-rules.html

Virtually every manufactured product i buy comes with a prop 65 warning.

Someone needs to sue the State and make them put warning labels up on the air.

Irvine is in serious need of good coffee shops.
Portola at Tustin is good, but it's in Tustin. We need something in Irvine. Kona Coffee at DJ is surprisingly good, 100 times better tasting than Starbucks, but it's too close to Portola anyways. We need something at east of 5 fwy.

Mety said:
Portola at Tustin is good, but it's in Tustin. We need something in Irvine. Kona Coffee at DJ is surprisingly good, 100 times better tasting than Starbucks, but it's too close to Portola anyways. We need something at east of 5 fwy.

Tomo coffee and Sootha coffee are pretty good.Would give the nod to Tomo since they offer V60 pour overs, and some unique cheese pretzels.

Mety said:

I'm not that fancy so I'm okay with Peet's.  McDonalds and DD are decent for what they are...especially for iced coffees.

Kean is also pretty close.

inv0ke-epipen said:
Mety said:

Tomo coffee and Sootha coffee are pretty good.Would give the nod to Tomo since they offer V60 pour overs, and some unique cheese pretzels.

Tomo coffee was good! I only tried ice americano and pretzels, but they were still pretty good. Definately better than Statbucks.

Back