Closing Date & Keys

gld2

We bought a house which will be closed in the next day,  it will be the same day recording.  The house is current empty and it is a short sale.  when can we get the keys?  what are the normal practice?  shall we do a final walk-through on the same day?  Thank you

gld2: These are questions for your realtor... is he/she not helping you out?

Also... congratulations on your purchase.

Seems like everyone is finding a house except us. :(

IHO,  Thank you.  It is an investment house,  we are still searching for our primary house,  it is hard to get the one we want at a good price.

my realtor is not helping at all.

irvinehomeowner said:
gld2: These are questions for your realtor... is he/she not helping you out?

Also... congratulations on your purchase.

Seems like everyone is finding a house except us. :(

Congratulations gld. We got the keys the same day as it was closed and recorded, and it was a short sale too. Talk to your realtor and the escrow company. Escrow has the keys already, I guess.

Good morning gld,

Your purchase agreement likely spells that information out for you...
Paragraph 5E.:
At Close of Escrow, unless otherwise agreed in writing, Seller shall provide keys and/or means to operate all locks, mailboxes, security systems, alarms and garage door openers. If Property is a condominium or located in a common interest subdivision, Buyer may be required to pay a deposit to the Homeowners' Association to obtain keys to accessible HOA facilities.

Unless you've spelled out something differently (and it doesn't sound like you have), you or your agent should arrange to receive all available keys from the listing agent on the date of COE, any time after you get the notice that the recording is confirmed.

(As a side note, Escrow typically does not hold keys for the parties, as it is beyond their scope of duty and they worry about liability issues.)

Congratulations on the purchase!
-IR2

gld2 said:
We bought a house which will be closed in the next day,  it will be the same day recording.  The house is current empty and it is a short sale.  when can we get the keys?  what are the normal practice?  shall we do a final walk-through on the same day?  Thank you

Congrats on the purchase.  Your agent's job is to try to get you the keys, if they aren't doing their job then you need to find another realtor who can.  As a buyer's agent, I normally coordinate via the listing agent to get the keys and remotes.  There are times when remotes are not available (short sales & REOs).  Then you might have to buy new garage door remotes and/or contact the HOA to get their remotes.  With the home that I purchased, I was not able to get the keys because the seller's wife (occupant) was very uncooperative.  Once I received confirmation from escrow that the transaction had closed and recorded, I called out a locksmith to open the door for me and had him change the locks.  Good luck.

One further point is that keys/access are due on the recording date, even if the former owners are staying in the home for a short period of time after the close (rent-back or occupancy of COE+x, for example). This is important to prevent bigger issues from coming up later.

-IR2

USCTrojanCPA said:
Congrats on the purchase.  Your agent's job is to try to get you the keys, if they aren't doing their job then you need to find another realtor who can.  As a buyer's agent, I normally coordinate via the listing agent to get the keys and remotes.  There are times when remotes are not available (short sales & REOs).  Then you might have to buy new garage door remotes and/or contact the HOA to get their remotes.  With the home that I purchased, I was not able to get the keys because the seller's wife (occupant) was very uncooperative.  Once I received confirmation from escrow that the transaction had closed and recorded, I called out a locksmith to open the door for me and had him change the locks.  Good luck.

How did you move the wife?

gld2 said:
Sorry this is the case... if you have no need to keep the connection to this particular realtor... you should look for someone more helpful.

Congrats on the investment property... I hope your renters are issue-free.

ps9 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

How did you move the wife?
Luckily for me she moved out of the home a week before we closed (once she found out the court was going to sign the grant deed on her behalf) based upon what my neighbors told me.  The listing agent tried to get a hold of her to get the keys and remotes but no luck.  So I called up a locksmith and showed him the email from the escrow officer confirming that we closed and he opened the home and re-keyed the home.  Since the garage door opener was circa 1999 I could not buy a programable remote so I had to have a new garage door opener installed.

Gld2 - sorry to hear your agent is unavailable. What I did is call the listing agent myself. He didn't want to go out of his way whatsoever (typical realtor) to give me the keys but he agreed to leave the keys in a specific drawer inside the home. He told me the drawer location and garage door code over the phone once escrow closed so I could let myself in. That way, I could go get them. He didn't make a second trip out. He had actually put them there without me realizing it when he had to let me in for the walk-through. Just a thought if you wait on no one and want to see to it that it gets done in a timely fashion.

The time before that on my previous purchase, the agent left the keys with the neighbor for me to pick up. I didn't love that but that one was a rent-back so it was months after the fact.

This is the part of the problem, the is hard to get REO and shortsale deal,  I got outbided many times. >:D  i used the dual agency,  which is not a right choice.  The agent asked the seller to put the keys in the house, I don't want to drive up there at 5:00 pm in the Friday afternoon.  I plan to come there  in the Saturday morning,  but maybe it is better for me to go get the keys in Friday, instead of the next day morning.  ::)

irvinehomeowner said:
gld2 said:
Sorry this is the case... if you have no need to keep the connection to this particular realtor... you should look for someone more helpful.

gld2 said:
This is the part of the problem, the is hard to get REO and shortsale deal,  I got outbided many times. >:D  i used the dual agency,  which is not a right choice.  The agent asked the seller to put the keys in the house, I don't want to drive up there at 5:00 pm in the Friday afternoon.  I plan to come there  in the Saturday morning,  but maybe it is better for me to go get the keys in Friday, instead of the next day morning.  ::)

irvinehomeowner said:
gld2 said:

Worst case....if the property is vacant...call a locksmith to have them open the house for you.  Either way, I would highly recommend getting the home re-keyed just to be safe.

I will definitely to get it re-keyed,  the question is:  do I get it re-keyed on Friday night or Saturday morning?  I have the trust problem

gld2 said:
I will definitely to get it re-keyed,  the question is:  do I get it re-keyed on Friday night or Saturday morning?  I have the trust problem
If it is vacant, you can get it re-keyed after you get confirmed that the transaction has been recorded from the escrow officer.

I bought a house under somewhat similar conditions.  I re-keyed as soon as I could.  I'm sure there are unhappy parties involved in these kinds of transactions so I wanted them shut out as soon as possible. 

You probably want to re-key even if you buy a new house.  You really don't know who has a copy of your keys.  I bought a new house once and after midnight, shortly after I moved in, someone was trying to get in and it sounded like they were inserting a key.  So, it could have been one of the previous workers or something like that trying to get in to use the restroom or as a resting place?

gld2 said:

USCTrojanCPA said:
Worst case....if the property is vacant...call a locksmith to have them open the house for you.  Either way, I would highly recommend getting the home re-keyed just to be safe.
Thinking out loud here, what would you have to show the locksmith to have them perform the work?  A book of loan/title docs?

Back