Closet / Storage

socal78

I have 25 pairs of shoes. I'm running out of places to put them. Scratch that. I HAVE run out of places to put them. I don't really want to keep shoes in my master bedroom closet upstairs because it's not convenient. I can't really use the coat closet downstairs because the shoe organizers I have in there are already full. I don't want to keep them in the garage because there are spiders in there. Mr. SoCal wants me to find a home for all of these shoes that are coming out of our ears. I agree, it's getting a little bit out of control. I've got 2 pairs of shoes en route via Amazon Prime as I type. Honestly, I don't plan to stop buying shoes.

What do you guys do for shoe control? I'm sure there are people here who have way more shoes than me.

Last time I went to Ikea, I noticed they had some interesting pieces of furniture with tilt-out drawers just for holding shoes. I would totally buy that if I had a place to put it but I really don't unless I get rid of some existing furniture.

I guess I could always use this as an excuse to buy a bigger house!

Your garage is your best bet.  Unless you have a spider problem, the occasional 1 or 2 spiders won't get anywhere near the shoes.  Just have a shoe rack/cabinet that doesn't go all the way to the ground and they will remain bug/spider free. 

Otherwise, you must have shoes that you only wear once or twice a year....put those in the master closet to make room for your more frequently worn ones.

Only 25? Hah.

You should keep your seldom worn ones in the master closet if there is room there.

Your always worn ones either in the garage entrance (away from spiders) or the coat closet. If you have a downstairs bedroom, use that closet... or that whole room.

If you have room under your bed... store them there.

All my shoes are in the garage... cricket hotels. All of hers are in the aforementioned places.

irvinehomeowner said:
Only 25? Hah.

I know, right? I can't even really say that it's a lot. It's not like I'm a Kardashian. It just seems like a lot to him because he only owns 3 pairs of shoes and 1 of those, I insisted on buying for him. He would have been perfectly content with just 2 pairs - 1 work and 1 athletic. As with most men, he thinks if you own 1 pair of black shoes, you're set. No need EVER for another pair that's black. Same with brown, etc. Or as my father used to say, "...but you only have 2 feet!" For me, I can have 5 pairs already of the same color and still see the usefulness in more.

Thankfully, I'm not into purses!

Homie has tons of shoes.

I only have 5:

1. Work (same as dress)
2. Casual (not at work) which are usually cross-trainers
3. Walking shoes (they are really running shoes but I don't run)
4. Basketball (soon to be retired)
5. House slippers (sandals/slides)

paydawg said:
Your garage is your best bet.  Unless you have a spider problem, the occasional 1 or 2 spiders won't get anywhere near the shoes.  Just have a shoe rack/cabinet that doesn't go all the way to the ground and they will remain bug/spider free.

I'm deathly afraid of spiders. We spray. We've been using stuff from H.D. that usually works great on bugs. It just doesn't seem to deter spiders as much when it rains or his very hot. It used to be extremely effective but I think it's also losing its potency. One day recently when we had all that rain, I couldn't get dressed all day and had to cancel my plans because there was a real big "popper" attached to the clothes I needed to wear hanging in my closet. It's not like I could go in there and spray Raid all over my clothes either. Plus, what if it just disappeared. I had to put a trench coat on to pick up my boy from school. Once he got home, I sent him in to do the dirty work so I could resume my day. I was prepared to postpone my plans entirely if he couldn't do it.

Mr. SoCal used to keep all his shoes in the garage until one day he told me to "be careful" because he went to put his foot in his shoe and a large spider crawled out. He warned me to always check the insides first. Well, say no more. I'll NEVER keep mine in there. Besides, my garage already looks like a mini Williams-Sonoma. I displaced my shoes in the coat closet & moved his in there because I feel bad he has to get those nasty surprises. ("Cricket hotel" - Iho, you're brave!)

So do you wear gloves and hold your breath when you spray that bug spray? Your skin and lungs can absorb those poisons ya know?

One of my kids told me once......... never ever put your shoes on without hitting them on the ground to make sure there aren't any spiders in them and THEN she told me........... you know if you have a spider in your room it can crawl in your mouth when u r asleep so make sure u keep your mouth shut all night. LOL!

My mom had the same issue. So what I did was get a metal rack at costco, install it in the garage and then buy a bunch of those plastic clear shoe boxes and put her shoes in those. So not only did it keep out the bugs, spiders, and dust, but she could also see what shoes were inside without opening the box. Of course, you could use the original boxes too.

To take it up a notch, you could take a polaroid picture of the shoe and tape it to the outside of the container.

Speaking of Costco, they had a huge shoe rack on sale the last time I was there.  I think it was $30 and held over 50 pairs, assuming none are too tall.  Won't keep the spiders out, but maybe you could find room for it in the house somewhere.

This post comes in proper time for me as I am working on and design all of my closets for my house. All 5 of the bedrooms. The kids closets are done and the office / flex space is done. In the office / flex space I also did the closet and library combos. I will have pictures up when that space is done. This is an interesting space since it act as a closet with hanging rods / multiple long shelves as library for it to holds books and can have drawls and cubies for guess storage if we have one over. Most of the time closets are meant for clothes, and shoes. In the case of an extra bedroom combo office / flex space you can easily utilize the space at the appropriate time.

The shoes storage situation makes me ponder some more about the efficiency utilization of space. Every homeowner needs and wants extra space for storage. Costco solution as other poster stated might be one solution, but to have a cohesive looks with the rest of your closet material without going with a complete custom solution is what I am going after.

A decent closet cost starting at over 4K. The beauty of home improvement is, how to achieve that model looks small budget. The "Design On a Dime" HGTV series often comes up with good ideas. So the shoes space is my next challenge.

B2FiNiTY said:
My mom had the same issue. So what I did was get a metal rack at costco, install it in the garage and then buy a bunch of those plastic clear shoe boxes and put her shoes in those. So not only did it keep out the bugs, spiders, and dust, but she could also see what shoes were inside without opening the box. Of course, you could use the original boxes too.

You are a good son!!! I would die with happiness if my boys did this for me one day! My big boy tells me he will use his authority as first-born to order my little boy to take care of me when I'm old. I'm in my 30s. He's got this all figured out in advance.  :)

Ready2Downsize said:
So do you wear gloves and hold your breath when you spray that bug spray? Your skin and lungs can absorb those poisons ya know?

It's a commercial grade pump spray that comes in a jug with a long hose and flat nozzle. The hubs is the one who sprays it. He typically does the exterior perimeter of the house as a barrier to entry.

This morning, we heard a lady screaming outside of our house. At that moment, Mr. SoCal went out there to leave for work. He texted me later saying there was an SUV in the middle of the road, front doors open, lady standing outside of it. She was trying to find something and asking her daughter if there was a spider on her. He said, "Thought I was watching you. Guess you're not so strange."

irvinehomeowner said:
What is the worst that could happen if a spider bit you?

Spider-SoCal movie trilogy?

Do a google image search for "brown widow bite" ... sweet nightmares!

Spiderjulia.jpg

Back