Chinese tourists

I was in a rental car office in Germany once and encountered a group of American tourists, good ol' boys from Oklahoma.  The clerk was explaining how far a place was in kilometers when the American yelled: "How far is it in miles!  Kilometers are stupid!"

When it was my turn, I apologized to the clerk for the uncivilized behavior of my countrymen.  The clerk said that it wasn't the first time he's experienced that kind of behavior from Americans.

Yeah, these type of stories are in the media practically every day. I read a lot of news, especially overseas papers, and they are just as irked by the rude behavior of Chinese tourists as Americans are. However, the Chinese seem to do the best job of pissing off the Thai, in particular. (Interesting how the video posted is from a Thai person, as well.) These are just a handful of the ones I've read recently:

Chinese tourist kicking Thai prayer bell as others defecate in public and are ticketed for reckless driving

Chinese tourists wash feet and sandals in Thai sinks, directly under a sign warning of a fine

Chinese tourists urinating on a Thai temple

Chinese woman using Thai public bathroom as a changing room

A Vietnamese family told me recently that they can not stand the Chinese. They tell me that is the overall attitude in their country. They are perpetually offended by the Chinese. I don't know why but I feel like the further south you go in Asia, the more polite the people are, at least to me personally. Chinese - I won't comment but suffice it to say I've had experiences like the one in the video. Thai are respectful people. Vietnamese and Filipino are welcoming and generous people known for their hospitality... they literally treat me like a celebrity. Indonesians are very sweet, lovely people, imo. Just my observations as an American. Americans have a bad reputation for being loud when they talk. It is so true, and I am the worst when it comes to that. Stereotypes exist for a reason... they are generally true.

SoCal said:
I don't know why but I feel like the further south you go in Asia, the more polite the people are, at least to me personally.

That's a very astute observation.  You'll find the most polite Chinese people in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, all these places are located in the south.

The mayor of Taipei recently told foreign media that he thought Vietnamese are superior to mainland Chinese despite being poorer because Vietnamese people will stop for a red light.

irvinehomeowner said:
From my own experience, Koreans seem to be the rudest.

#AndImKorean

You're the first Jewish Korean I've ever met. And it's noon on a weekday - shouldn't you be in school right now?

Happiness said:
SoCal said:
I don't know why but I feel like the further south you go in Asia, the more polite the people are, at least to me personally.

That's a very astute observation.  You'll find the most polite Chinese people in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, all these places are located in the south.

The mayor of Taipei recently told foreign media that he thought Vietnamese are superior to mainland Chinese despite being poorer because Vietnamese people will stop for a red light.

*cough*  He needs to take a drive outside of Taipei.

I have up and personal experience riding in cars in Taichung and Chayi where the driver decided to hop over the median and drive against traffic to get to where they wanted to go down the street.  That is, driving on the wrong side of the road to pick up some iced tea.

Drivers in capital cities (Taipei, Beijing) tend to be better behaved when many cops are around.

irvinehomeowner said:
From my own experience, Koreans seem to be the rudest.

#AndImKorean

Koreans speak honestly.  They come off as rude because the truth hurts.  Example, if you are obese, a Japanese person will tell you that you look great.  A Korean person will tell you that you are fat.

Back