Carpet costs and recommendations (with outside contractor)

whome

I wanted to start a thread for what people are typically spending (per yard installed) on carpet. I have a sense of the kind of wood floors most TI members are choosing but there's not much info on carpet.

I just got a quote on a very low pile patterned smart strand (silk) carpet and it seems like it is almost $50/ yard installed (excluding stairs). I was looking for something more in the range of 35-40/ yard (or lower).
Any recommendations?
What carpet choices did you make?
Thanks so much in advance!

I paid close to $50/yard for my carpet through the builder.  But I also got a $10k flooring credit.  So depending on how you split that credit between the various flooring (wood, tile, carpet), it lowers the cost to more your ballpark.  So I'm sure you can get something decent for your budget range.  We ended up with a Masland nylon.

I have used Tom from New York Carpet in Anaheim several times and have always been happy. I feel that you pay less there, and they do a great job on installation. They sell 1st and 2nds, so make sure you check when purchasing carpet.

Bump! I'm in the process of choosing flooring right now and would love to get an idea of what people are paying for carpet (and hardwood) with outside contractors as well.

Builder is quoting $49 per sq. yd. for a high density nylon Moda Carpet. This seems high and I'm not sure I want to spend $10K for carpet. I'm hoping outside will be significantly less for similar quality in carpet. Also does anyone know anyone who lived with the standard carpet for a few years before tearing it out for new carpet? Sounds like a nice alternative even though the builder carpet is so dang ugly.

Builder is quoting $17 per sq. ft. for hardwood. Cheaper outside??

I think you can get ~ $10-$14 per sqft outside at places like Venetian flooring or hardwood flooring depot. of course depending on what kind of hardwood flooring you are planning to get.

I got a rough estimate from these guys over the weekend.

happytales said:
Bump! I'm in the process of choosing flooring right now and would love to get an idea of what people are paying for carpet (and hardwood) with outside contractors as well.

Builder is quoting $49 per sq. yd. for a high density nylon Moda Carpet. This seems high and I'm not sure I want to spend $10K for carpet. I'm hoping outside will be significantly less for similar quality in carpet. Also does anyone know anyone who lived with the standard carpet for a few years before tearing it out for new carpet? Sounds like a nice alternative even though the builder carpet is so dang ugly.

Builder is quoting $17 per sq. ft. for hardwood. Cheaper outside??

We have Moda Times Square carpet and I am so glad we chose this.  Go talk to Rick Campbell at Belmont Carpets in Anaheim, great guy who will take the time to educate you. 

It is VERY messy to rip out tiles and do flooring with a third party after close of escrow.  Some builders are offering credits if you do all flooring through them, the delta may not be significant enough to go through the hassle.

hehegrl said:
I think you can get ~ $10-$14 per sqft outside at places like Venetian flooring or hardwood flooring depot. of course depending on what kind of hardwood flooring you are planning to get.

Thanks! Does that include install and demo? I think after subtracting the allowance, it's pretty comparable to the builder but I won't have to add it to the price of my home.

A S said:
It is VERY messy to rip out tiles and do flooring with a third party after close of escrow.  Some builders are offering credits if you do all flooring through them, the delta may not be significant enough to go through the hassle.

OOO The Times Square is nice! I'm thinking of the Park Avenue but still wide open. There are so many options!
My builder is allowing bare floors (and vinyl in wet areas). Do you know if it's easy to rip out vinyl? My builder's only giving $5k if we do all flooring through them. We're still deciding what to do.

I used Belmont for my wood flooring (Gene) and was very pleased. Installation was clean and they were great to work with. Pricing was very good. We also looked at Venetian but they were probably 25-30% more. 

happytales said:
Thanks! Does that include install and demo? I think after subtracting the allowance, it's pretty comparable to the builder but I won't have to add it to the price of my home.

It's price for installed and removal of carpet/vinyl but if you have tile then it's about  $1.5-$2/sqft of tile they have to remove.

so Brookfield is allowing you to have bare floors? I was told by Standard Pacific that in order to close escrow per the city you have to have flooring installed??? Maybe I should check with them again....

I know for our old condo, bare floors were allowed/even got credit.  Not sure if sfr is different. 

hehegrl said:
so Brookfield is allowing you to have bare floors? I was told by Standard Pacific that in order to close escrow per the city you have to have flooring installed??? Maybe I should check with them again....

Yea, Brookfield is allowing bare floors if we go through their preferred bank. Vinyl must be installed in the kitchen/bathrooms though.

happytales said:
hehegrl said:

Yea, Brookfield is allowing bare floors if we go through their preferred bank. Vinyl must be installed in the kitchen/bathrooms though.

What community is this, can I ask? My builder Taylor Morrison is claiming they can't do this because of code rules. But sounds like it can't be a code issue if another builder will leave the floors bare...
I would love to have some more facts to back me up so I can go negotiate with them. arrgh! Its totally a profit issue --they'll let you have the bare floor, if they can make money off of the loan!!!

nyc to oc said:
happytales said:
hehegrl said:

What community is this, can I ask? My builder Taylor Morrison is claiming they can't do this because of code rules. But sounds like it can't be a code issue if another builder will leave the floors bare...
I would love to have some more facts to back me up so I can go negotiate with them. arrgh! Its totally a profit issue --they'll let you have the bare floor, if they can make money off of the loan!!!
I believe the builder can't get a certificate of occupancy without flooring and cabinetry.  Call the City of Irvine building department to verify this.  You can certainly buy a house that does not have a COO yet but most banks will not close a loan without it.  In other words, you probably have to pay cash for a house without flooring.

Happiness said:
nyc to oc said:
happytales said:
hehegrl said:

The builder can't get a certificate of occupancy without flooring and cabinetry.  You can certainly buy a house that does not have a COO yet but most banks will not close a loan without it.  In other words, you probably have to pay cash for a house without flooring.

Happytales states Brookfield will allow bare floors even on a financed purchase, but only if you go through their lender.

If this is so, I'm going to assume this means that the in house Brookfield lender is willing to make a loan even without a COO, since it is the lending arm owned/affiliated with Brookfield?

nyc to oc said:
Happiness said:
nyc to oc said:
happytales said:
hehegrl said:

The builder can't get a certificate of occupancy without flooring and cabinetry.  You can certainly buy a house that does not have a COO yet but most banks will not close a loan without it.  In other words, you probably have to pay cash for a house without flooring.

Happytales states Brookfield will allow bare floors even on a financed purchase, but only if you go through their lender.

If this is so, I'm going to assume this means that the in house Brookfield lender is willing to make a loan even without a COO, since it is the lending arm owned/affiliated with Brookfield?
That sounds logical.  I think the reason the bank wants a COO is because they don't want the trouble of finishing the flooring in order to foreclose but if the bank is also the builder, they probably don't mind doing the flooring if they need to foreclose.

Looks like I opened up a can of worms...hopefully my builder doesn't read this and retract it  :p

My builder did also mention that we can go with another lender as long as they're ok with closing with bare floors. So I'm guessing the bare floor thing is not really city code...but more like lender requirement?

Back