Can you smell the landfill?

irvinehomeowner said:
davenlei said:
"Can you smell the dirty landfill?....Does it stink reallllly bad?.....When the wind is blow-ing, and the trash trucks are tow-ing to the duuummmppp?"
You must not have it playing 24-7 like me and ps9.

Here are your corrected lyrics:

"Can you smell the dirty landfill?....Does it stink reallllly bad?.....When the wind is blow-ing, and the trash trucks are tow-ing, does it make you feel so saaaaaad?"

And...

Does it smell, does it smell
Can?t hold it back anymore
Does it smell, does it smell
Turn away and slam the door

I don?t care
What they?re going to say
I live by the landfill now,
The smell never bothered me anyway

(putting my 80s skillz to good use)

It is playing 24/7 but I always leave the room and hide in a dark corner and start rocking back and forth whispering "make it go away mommy, make it go away"

Bowerman is least offensive of three landfills in oc. No public dumping. No real health hazard. http://oclandfills.com/landfill/active/bowerman

And you should see how close homes in brea have been built to that landfill. PS homes are far away by comparison. I wouldn't rule out PS due to landfill. Proximity to toll roads bigger issue imo

Edit: I haven't smelled it

Search function isn't always the best approach as people find answers without increasing the total amount of threads.  It also doesn't allow others to yell, "Use the search function" while spawning three page threads. 

irvinehomeowner said:
Okay... so TI History Lesson Time:

graphrix was a member on IHB and for a short time on TI.

When a member (usually a new one) would post a question that already exists, graphrix would usually respond with "Use the search button".

He's also known for saying that Irvine is not any more Asian than anywhere else in the OC but I doubt that's the comparison (although maybe personally, YOU are not more Asian than anyone else in the OC :) ).

Don't forget his sunny disposition!

Way more noticeable than the landfill are the trash trucks that go down Sand Canyon non stop during business hours.... these can sometimes smell but you probably will never get close enough to one to notice.

irvinehomeowner said:
bones said:
dont' know who graphix is so the comparison is meaningless.  and not just to me but probably 80% of the people on this board.
Okay... so TI History Lesson Time:

graphrix was a member on IHB and for a short time on TI.

When a member (usually a new one) would post a question that already exists, graphrix would usually respond with "Use the search button".

Asking new members to use the search button is a pet peeve of every discussion board. But it is still fun to haze people once in a while  ;D

49466288f9.jpg

NathanIrvine said:
If you live in PS, PP or Stonegate and the wind is blowing the right way, can you smell the garbage from the landfill?

I lived in PS for 3 years. Could not smell the dump. Only some from the garbage trucks going up and down Sand Canyon. Also can not hear the gun shots at the landfill from PS on the south side of Portola Pkwy. Have to be a little closer to hear them . I could hear the gun shots when I hiked the Bee Canyon Trail up the trash mountain. Maybe the north side can hear or smell more than I could but I think you have to be pretty close to the top of the dump to hear them because I couldn't hear them at the bottom.

No smell. but garbage trucks on Portola and Sand Canyon make a lot of noise, and I am sure if you drive by these trucks with windows open, it will be fun.

I live in the Alton/Jeffrey area, and on somedays when the wind is slowly blowing out of the East the smell is not overwhelming but is present. The entire area on that block smells like a dirty garbage can. I wish the city would crackdown on this, because I spend A LOT of money to live here, and this is a really poor quality of life, for a place that pushes a message of "love where you live". I want to love it, but I don't want to smell it.

If the bowerman landfill smell goes all the way to Jeffrey/Alton near the 405, then every community between there and the landfill would've experienced it as well. So far I don't think I know anyone who's ever complained about the smell?

AW said:
If the bowerman landfill smell goes all the way to Jeffrey/Alton near the 405, then every community between there and the landfill would've experienced it as well. So far I don't think I know anyone who's ever complained about the smell?

Maybe cj5's neighbor threw old smelly fish into the trash can outside and contaminated the neighborhood with the aroma.

cj5 said:
I live in the Alton/Jeffrey area, and on somedays when the wind is slowly blowing out of the East the smell is not overwhelming but is present. The entire area on that block smells like a dirty garbage can. I wish the city would crackdown on this, because I spend A LOT of money to live here, and this is a really poor quality of life, for a place that pushes a message of "love where you live". I want to love it, but I don't want to smell it.

uhh we're way closer (in PP) and we dont smell it. hell I'm pretty sure you don't really "smell" it even when you're at the landfill - only directly near where they're putting in a new batch/cell of waste.

you're smelling something else nearby honestly.

edit: also for people that are concern about the landfill. do you even know how it works? why don't people ever just look up all these public info on this specific modern landfill. hell there's even youtube tour videos of it.

do people think trash just get dump into a big hole and are left there without some form of processing?

It's gotta be something else.. investigate your neighbors trash bins.

or maybe there is a wind current that drives the smell to certain areas?  Although I do not smell anything in my neighborhood, it doesnt mean someone else doesnt smell it in theirs.

A few of my friends who live near sand canyon have noted the following negative things:
1.  trucks speeding down sand canyon especially at night
2.  Speeding trucks = road noise all night (except sundays when they do not run) - often times its loud to keep windows open
3.  lots of dust inside the house
4.  Sand Canyon road is really dirty.  Road is literally black from trash drippings (not color of asphalt)

I agree with CJ.  If I paid a lot of money for a house in that area, I wouldnt be too happy.

hello said:
or maybe there is a wind current that drives the smell to certain areas?  Although I do not smell anything in my neighborhood, it doesnt mean someone else doesnt smell it in theirs.

A few of my friends who live near sand canyon have noted the following negative things:
2.  Speeding trucks = road noise all night (except sundays when they do not run) - often times its loud to keep windows open
4.  Sand Canyon road is really dirty.  Road is literally black from trash drippings (not color of asphalt)

I agree with CJ.  If I paid a lot of money for a house in that area, I wouldnt be too happy.

Shouldn't you do your due diligence?

eyephone said:
hello said:

I agree... however many things are often discovered with time. 
The point of me posting this wasnt a commentary on people not doing their due diligence but rather simply pointing out some negative things related to the landfill as related to the previous poster.

hello said:
eyephone said:
hello said:

I agree... however many things are often discovered with time. 
The point of me posting this wasnt a commentary on people not doing their due diligence but rather simply pointing out some negative things related to the landfill as related to the previous poster.

Ok  :D

We have been living in PS from last 2 years, and so far we haven't smelled anything. Honestly, this is a no issue. 

Back