Buy a home backing a road or backing another house?

What would you rather buy?

• Total voters
Coleman said:
ps9 said:
f9ea377bb785745ea7c4433518f3daef_zps71230b86.jpg

Going ghetto Asia style

Remember growing up all the homes had these, I wonder if the contractors just used whatever beverages they were drinking to use on the wall.

Some of the houses I've seen in Taipei chose to use upside down nails instead of glass.  I think it looks a bit classier.  :p

That must be the mid century modern area of Taipei, mine is more retro chic medieval :)

If your backyard (where you relax) is backed to a major street, it might be a little more loud when you entertain but....it is still better than hearing your neighbors business and them hearing yours.

My house backs up to a street (away from the intersection), but since it does my lot is about 2,000sf larger than the average home in my tract.  The street is only busy during rush hour.  I love the privacy and having a large enough lot to have a pool and jacuzzi.  ;D

SoCal said:
I am paranoid that backing up to a road gives someone easy access to hop over the wall into the backyard and break into the house. I am always thinking "what would a burglar do". I would (and did) take the lot backing another house instead. Only if it was super duper tight, very cramped with no privacy, then maybe the road option. Still don't like the idea, though. I have seen dumb kids throw trash and things over walls into people's patio.

Never had anyone throw trash over.  We have always had home alarms on all of our houses and have never had any house burglarized.  Best kept secret is how much nicer it is not to have back neighbors.  Fire sirens can be annoying but that is true no matter where you live.  Backing to a street is much quieter than when we "lived" with our back neighbors.  We chose this on purpose.

This poll is actually invalid.

There are more homes in Irvine backing a street than homes with a 20ft setback.

Heck, in new builds, there are more streetbacking homes than homes with a 5ft setback. :)

How about a house along Jeffrey open space trail? no one behind, good size back yard (35 ft deep), but it is a corner unit that is closest to the road. We like it about view and privacy but worry about the road noise.

Calisun said:
How about a house along Jeffrey open space trail? no one behind, good size back yard (35 ft deep), but it is a corner unit that is closest to the road. We like it about view and privacy but worry about the road noise.

What street is it backing?  If it were Sand Canyon, Jeffrey or Irvine Blvd I'd say no.  Trabuco, maybe.  Any other street probably yes.

I think any main street is probably a no-no. So in Irvine the big 4, Jamboree, Culver, Jeffrey and Sand Canyon... and then mini-mains like Harvard, Irvine Blvd, Portola, Irvine Center, Barranca, Alton etc.

aquabliss said:
Calisun said:

What street is it backing?  If it were Sand Canyon, Jeffrey or Irvine Blvd I'd say no.  Trabuco, maybe.  Any other street probably yes.

Jeffrey street. It is running on the side of house. There is about 250 ft ( jeffrey open space trail park area) between the house and jeffrey.

notTHEoc said:
Calisun said:
aquabliss said:
Calisun said:

Jeffrey street. It is running on the side of house. There is about 250 ft ( jeffrey open space trail park area) between the house and jeffrey.
250 ft is a lot of space...like 5 houses though not as much sound barrier to block noise. I would just go there and see how much you can hear.
Another thing to consider is how reasonable you view IP's lot premium for it. You might not have a lot of comps down the road for similar lots by JOST and buyers may try to comp against the regular lots.

@IHO - agree this poll isn't the choice facing most new home buyers.

If the house is located in Woodbury, maybe.    But if the house is located in Stonegate, it might be ok once all the road construction is completed since this section of Jeffrey is not that busy.

Go sit in backyards that are up for sale.  Sit and relax in ones that back to main or semi-main streets and sit in ones that have neighbors all around.  The go upstairs and sit for a while in both scenarios.  Walk around the block.  Take your time and see what you like.

Back