Builder Upgrades- what did you choose /how to get these done ?

blueribbon

The builder offers a million upgrades most of which we might not do.

But I want to specifically ask about how you got these for your house ? Builder / did it by yourself / don't have it. Whats a good way ?

1) Refrigerator , washer / dryer
2) home security
3) Cabinet color change...most offer only white.
4) Tile flooring - builder options are the basic 2-3 colors.
5) light colored countertop and island.
6) Closet organizer

thank you.

blueribbon said:
The builder offers a million upgrades most of which we might not do.

But I want to specifically ask about how you got these for your house ? Builder / did it by yourself / don't have it. Whats a good way ?

1) Refrigerator , washer / dryer
2) home security
3) Cabinet color change...most offer only white.
4) Tile flooring - builder options are the basic 2-3 colors.
5) light colored countertop and island.
6) Closet organizer

thank you.

Did you buy in PS Blue?

1) Refrigerator , washer / dryer- If you get their built in, might be a better price.  Washer/Dryer definitely get it through Lowes/Home Depot
2) home security - cheaper outside
3) Cabinet color change...most offer only white - yes through builder
4) Tile flooring - builder options are the basic 2-3 colors. - upgrade the tile through builder
5) light colored countertop and island. - upgrade through builder
6) Closet organizer - go outside to a place like cabinets plus.  Usually a fraction of the price.

1. Fridge - built-in builder, non built-in post close, washer/dryer post close
2. Post close
3. Builder
4. Bathroom/Laundry - builder - wood flooring is up for debate (we have standard tiling in places where we would have wanted wood), definitely cheaper post close, but you don't have builder warranty, huge markup on flooring from builder and you'll be paying taxes on it forever (we did not do wood flooring through the builder)
5. Builder
6. Post close

akkord said:
2. Post close
3. Builder
4. Bathroom/Laundry - builder - wood flooring is up for debate (we have standard tiling in places where we would have wanted wood), definitely cheaper post close, but you don't have builder warranty, huge markup on flooring from builder and you'll be paying taxes on it forever (we did not do wood flooring through the builder)
5. Builder
6. Post close

Wonder what the price range difference is for the carpet and wood flooring?  I'm thinking bathrooms are a must through builder as you don't want to deal with any leaks and such out of warranty.

jmoney74 said:
akkord said:
2. Post close
3. Builder
5. Builder
6. Post close

Wonder what the price range difference is for the carpet and wood flooring?  I'm thinking bathrooms are a must through builder as you don't want to deal with any leaks and such out of warranty.

Roughly, wood flooring is about 30% cheaper and carpet is about 10% cheaper

paydawg said:
jmoney74 said:
akkord said:
2. Post close
3. Builder
5. Builder
6. Post close

Ah.. so carpet probably better to just go through builder too. 

paydawg said:
jmoney74 said:
akkord said:
2. Post close
3. Builder
5. Builder
6. Post close

More than that...builders marks up wood flooring 50-100%, tile 40-80%, and carpet 20-30%.  Anything inside the walls (electrical, plumbing, recessed lights, etc), foundation/room/bathroom changes, cabinets, counter tops, appliance upgrades (excluding refrigerator, washer, and dryer), and shower/tub changes.  Everything else can you done cheaper outside after closing.

We paid a ~40% premium for hardwood flooring throughout to Irvine Pacific. You definitely purchase the washer/dryer post-closing, but the fridge is different. You want that to match the brand, style, and model year of your other appliances. So if you can find it somewhere else, buy it post-closing. If not, buy through the builder. I found our fridge, but Irvine Pacific charged us ~$200 below retail for it. I'm sure we could've saved a little bit more because those things never sell for MSRP.

Closets and built-ins should be done post-closing - much cheaper and more options available.

My fridge is a different brand than everything else, not one person has ever said anything about it or even noticed when they visit.

Pacific Sales will price match and even provide additional discounts on top of the sale with a "bundle discount".  I even went back to Pac Sales a couple months after the purchase since they had a lower price and they gave me back the $125 difference. 

Perspective said:
We paid a ~40% premium for hardwood flooring throughout to Irvine Pacific. You definitely purchase the washer/dryer post-closing, but the fridge is different. You want that to match the brand, style, and model year of your other appliances. So if you can find it somewhere else, buy it post-closing. If not, buy through the builder. I found our fridge, but Irvine Pacific charged us ~$200 below retail for it. I'm sure we could've saved a little bit more because those things never sell for MSRP.

Closets and built-ins should be done post-closing - much cheaper and more options available.

akkord said:
My fridge is a different brand than everything else, not one person has ever said anything about it or even noticed when they visit.

Pacific Sales will price match and even provide additional discounts on top of the sale with a "bundle discount".  I even went back to Pac Sales a couple months after the purchase since they had a lower price and they gave me back the $125 difference. 

Perspective said:

Like most things in your house, few people will notice the details.

Our appliances (oven, microwave, dishwasher, and mini fridge) all had this specific Kitchenaid handle:
http://www.kitchenaid.com/major-appliances/refrigerators/

So it would bug me daily to see a fridge not sharing the exact same style. That's just my OCD though...

akkord said:

Perspective said:

These custom frig's though.. they have to be installed properly.  Just make sure it's all covered.

Thank you all. 

And how about the lights and ceiling fans and blinds....those are coming under upgrades /decoratives....if I get it post close do they come with installation from stores? ... And suppose I buy washer/dryers and refrigerator from outside, do these stores send in an installation guy ? or they just deliver it ?

blueribbon said:
Thank you all. 

And how about the lights and ceiling fans and blinds....those are coming under upgrades /decoratives....if I get it post close do they come with installation from stores? ... And suppose I buy washer/dryers and refrigerator from outside, do these stores send in an installation guy ? or they just deliver it ?

All electrical upgrades should be done through the builder (canned lights, ceiling fan prewires, chandelier prewires, additional outlets, etc.).

blueribbon said:
Thank you all. 

I did canned lights upstairs at my house post close. Better prices. Downstairs hard to do so use builder. 

Lowe's and he etc will install your frig and washer dryer.

Yeah, you can do the canned lighting and ceiling fan upstairs post close since it's cheaper and easier to install because of attic space to do the install.  Downstairs is doable too, but more difficult and most likely require some patch job.  But if you were going to paint post close, it's something to consider as well. 

I'd go outside with blinds, but some people don't like the hassle since it's going to take quite some time if you go the shutters route where they need to measure and order to install. 

AW said:
Yeah, you can do the canned lighting and ceiling fan upstairs post close since it's cheaper and easier to install because of attic space to do the install.  Downstairs is doable too, but more difficult and most likely require some patch job.  But if you were going to paint post close, it's something to consider as well. 

I'd go outside with blinds, but some people don't like the hassle since it's going to take quite some time if you go the shutters route where they need to measure and order to install.

We have no attic space upstairs. It's a complex web of trusses and cross-supporting wood beams. The roof isn't pitched much either. So, an electrician might have some fun climbing over and under trusses to get to tight areas.

Perspective said:
AW said:

We have no attic space upstairs. It's a complex web of trusses and cross-supporting wood beams. The roof isn't pitched much either. So, an electrician might have some fun climbing over and under trusses to get to tight areas.

Does it make the upstairs unusually hot in the summer?

1) Refrigerator , washer / dryer - Buy elsewhere...builder selections are limited and their pricing is not competitive.  Pacific Sales, Saddleback Appliance, Renwes, etc. all offer price matching and better selection.
2) home security - Depends on if you want a wireless system of hardwired.  I prefer hardwired so this is something I would personally get from the builder if the price is reasonable (usually around $1000 for first floor).  Otherwise you will have to change sensor batteries regularly.
3) Cabinet color change...most offer only white. - Again depends on if only the "color" matters to you, or if the material matters also.  White thermofoil (which is what builders usually install) cannot be changed.  Wood doors and cabinets can be stained or painted a different color.  Laminate can also be used for the cabinet faces.  Honestly, I would rip out the builder cabinets and install new ones.  I've done it twice, and will do it again in a heartbeat.
4) Tile flooring - builder options are the basic 2-3 colors. - Depends on if warranty matters to you...you'll pay a huge premium compared to doing it post escrow.  I would do it post-close.
5) light colored countertop and island. - Definitely do this post close.  You can choose your own slab and this is not difficult for an experienced vendor to handle.
6) Closet organizer - Definitely post close...builders use the same vendors you would use, but charge you extra on top.  Cabinets plus, easyclosets.com, Elfa are all good options.  I would stay away from California Closets.

Infrastructure, wiring, electrical, plumbing, recessed lighting, insulation are the things that you absolutely do through the builder.

Perspective said:
AW said:

yeah, same with mine, it's like an obstacle course.  But as long as they can access the space, it makes the job a thousand times easier.  No choice downstairs, most likely need to punch a hole somewhere to fish the wires and patch up after...

Back