Brightwater Huntington Beach reduced 300k?

<p>I went through Brightwater today. Neither The Breaker nor Cliffs are open with Models yet, March is when they will be according to the on site staff. The Trails and The Sands were open.</p>

<p>A couple observations:</p>

<p>They had good traffic. Quite a few people walking through. That's the good news. The bad news, of the two groups behind us and the two groups in front of us that we kept intersecting with, not one was interested in buying. One group of all ladies was decorating idea shopping. The late middle age couple frequently a room or two behind us was regularly crinkling their nose with the wife pointing out the lack of attention to detail.</p>

<p>There was a couple was asking about financing with the agent at The Trails. The man just about keeled over when the agent said they probably can't get financing without 10% down. Maybe if they have really great credit, but even then, probably 10% down...</p>

<p>My third impression is a bit crass. Granted everybody has different taste, I had to frequently look past the finishing choices to concentrate on the space trying to give the space the benefit of the doubt. Frankly, I keep feeling like I was looking at a home targeted at Huntington Beach Skate Punk turns 40. </p>

<p>Stylistic differences aside, what was noticeable was how quickly the model home was showing wear. The carpet in the stairs showing a path. The rail with hand wear. Dirt from hands on the wall by the light switch and what look like someone flicked the plaster. Remember these models all range from $1.05M to $1.25M. So why was the same bathroom faucet used repeatedly in model after model after model? Viking range top, check. Viking refrigerator, check. Viking wall oven, okay, check. Soft-closing drawers, nope, standard, slams shut and bounces open drawers.</p>

<p>Yards, what yards? It's all hardscape, for good reason. it's too small to be functional. Heck, the one with a grill on it would be claustrophobic to grill on. The other with the fire pit, looks nice, but four friends sitting around your lava rock fire pit with the inability to move around isn't going to happen.</p>

<p>Yes, one model is constructed with a non-existent setback. The neighbors garage wall, electric meter and other stuff all abut your entry walkway. It's the same high density as Irvine.</p>

<p>Overall, not what I would consider one million plus.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Oh yes, I noticed today that I still have the flyers in my car. Price sheets for The Trails and Sands included. Here's the prices from last Sunday:</p>

<p>The Trails</p>

<p>Residence One-R 1710 Sf 3/2.5 2 car garage $1,033,685</p>

<p>Residence Two-R 1755 sf 3/2.5 split 2 car garage $1,088,990</p>

<p>Residence Three-R 1843 to 1953 sf (depends on if you get observation loft) 4/2.5 $1,127,395</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Sands</p>

<p>One - R 1927sf 4/2.5 $1,161,965</p>

<p>Two - R 1988sf 4/3 $1,232,735</p>

<p>Three - R 2161sf 4/2.5 $1,256,725</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Call me old fashioned, but for one million plus, if I'm getting a tract home, I at least expect some sort of stylish name for the model.</p>

<p> </p>

Call me old fashioned, but I think that trying to sell a million dollar house by sticking fliers in car windshield wipers is ludicrous. I might be influenced to go to lunch some place if a coupon is stuck on my car, but I can't see myself buying a million dollar house through the same advertising channel.

I've never bought anything stuck to my windshield. If anything, I have been inclined to make a note of whoever is posting and NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THE LITTERBUG.

"Oh yes, I noticed today that I still have the flyers in my car." Ummm...you people need to read more carefully and not perpetuate false information. I assume No Such Reality left a brochure, just like you would get at any Irvine development, in his car. I have been to this development myself and they do not leave fliers on your windshield. If you think about it, that would be idiotic since the only people parking there would be people seeing the models anyway. The Cliffs and Breakers models are open now, but it is by invitation only. To not view those homes and try to evaluate the development would do it injustice. Additionally, to make false statements that it is next to a sludge bay without even walking the trail to the beach is equally unjustified. frebay, you asked for facts on why this development would fail, but so far I just see a lot of negative opinions. The fact is that last week when I visited 7/10 houses have been sold all to noncontigent buyers. Can you tell me where is Irvine they have had 1.5+ mil houses sell so briskly recently? If anyone is truely interested in this development, I would suggest taking a visit on their own. That is the only true way to separate fact from fiction.

xanthem is correct, they sold 7 of the 10 homes of the cliffs and breakers to non- contingent buyers. I'm high on the list and was given the opportunity to purchase, but after reading the comments on this blog, i felt i had to do more due diligence.

i asked the sales people about the smell or what it smells like after it rains, and they said there isn't a smell. I will wait for the next rainstorm, go out there and verify myself.

How about we just call you ignorant??!!

No_Such_Reality: Earlier when you had said the birds at the wetlands had "no beaks and three legs" I just figured you hadn't ever been there, so I let that one go. Now I read your latest observation and realize that, indeed, all these commentaries and you hadn't even been to the brightwater neighborhood either - yet you have so much to say.

It was hard to narrow down my favorite N-S-R quote of sheer genius, but here it is:"The man just about keeled over when the agent said they probably can't get financing without 10% down. Maybe if they have really great credit, but even then, probably 10% down..."

What planet do you live on? We have been in a mortgage meltdown crisis for the last year. The banks finally grew a brain and will not lend to people who cannot afford the payment. I'm glad to hear the agent is being up front and he's not full of hot air like some people...

WINEX and vaseline: Clearly neither of you have been to the neighborhood either or you would realize that they hand out very nice brochures with the price list - not flyers on car windshields!

Although the homes are very well done, I do agree that 1 million plus seems a bit too high. Then again, I thought the same thing when I bought my home at Seacliff in 2001, a decision I do not regret at all. Sorry to come off stern. I have a hard time with know-it-all's that really don't know very much at all. I leave you with this: Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. ~St Matthew 7:15~

<p>Oldsalt, your reading comprehension stinks worse than the Back Bay. That's Back Bay as in Newport Back Bay.</p>

<p>Firstly, I never said the birds have no beaks and three legs, that was No_Vaseline.</p>

<p>Secondly, I surf off of Bolsa, hence, again your reading comp stinks because as I said in the previous post: "Third, it's not beach. It's sludge bay. Bolsa just got re-opened to ocean water tides for the first time in about 20 years. That's 20 years of built up run-off and contamination." IOW, it as stagnant intertidal marsh that was not allowed to flush with the tides for an extended period of years.</p>

<p>As for my comment on the borrowers, it was an observation. The agent said, "maybe if you have great credit" also, keep it in context of none of group I observed was interested in buying except the one guy that was shocked and despairing at 10% down.</p>

<p>As for 7/10 in Cliffs and Breakers being sold... maybe, I can look at that map and identify the few true "ocean" view lots that would be worth considering.</p>

Oldsalt, you are correct. I have never been to Brightwater.

I never said I have been, and have never said that I had a flier from Brightwater stuck in my windshield wipers.

Although I could afford to buy a place in that neighborhood given the prices listed in No_Such_Reality's post using conventional financing, I guess I just don't have what IR terms "Southern California Pathology". I can't see myself buying any house for $1,000,000 (2008) dollars ever. Though I have never seen the neighborhood, and though I am a renter, I think that real estate prices are completely out of whack. I'm perfectly content not buying until/unless I see something that I consider to be worth the money.

<p>"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. ~St Matthew 7:15~ "</p>

<p>Who would have guessed that St. Mathew had to deal with an association of realtors in his day!</p>

Oops... The discovery of hundreds of mysterious cogged stones and now human bone fragments that are up to 8,500 years old confirms decades-long rumors that the Brightwater Hearthside Homes site is an ancient burial ground of international importance, said Dave Singleton, a program analyst with the Native American Heritage Commission. <a href="http://www.ocregister.com/news/site-remains-developer-1988296-homes-commission">http://www.ocregister.com/news/site-remains-developer-1988296-homes-commission</a>

This might turn out to be another project like Coastline in SJC. Shuting down and selling off the model homes.

Maybe they can change the name to Backwater :)

who in their right mind would buy a million dollar home built on a burial site? i wonder if the buyer who already bought the house will have any rights to back out and get all their money back, or would they be force to sell at market price back to the builder?

wow that burial thing is crazy!!!!!!

i received the latest brightwater email today....

New Phase at The Cliffs & The Breakers

Early Release...Act Now!

Seven of the ten homes in Phase 1A of The Cliffs and

The Breakers sold immediately, and because of that overwhelming success, we're releasing Phase 1B in advance of the Brightwater community Grand Opening on March 15th. This new offering includes four magnificent homes at The Breakers, two of which offer breathtaking ocean and wetlands views, and three gorgeous residences at The Cliffs. We'll announce pricing on these homes this Thursday, February 28th, and if you wish to take advantage of this new opportunity, please plan on visiting us beginning Thursday, February 28th, to select your preferred homesite. Then on Sunday, March 2nd, please be ready to confirm your interest when we call you in the order of your priority. We look forward to making your dream of a new home at the beach come true this weekend with our second early release at The Cliffs and The Breakers at Brightwater.

<p>I told you this land was cursed. But... oh... no... don't listen to me, I'm just that crazy nutter, who doesn't know what he is talking about. </p>

<p>Now, if you will excuse me, I need to re-enforce my tin foil hat. I need to make it strong enough to protect me from falling knives, and arrows launched from pissed off Indian ghosts now.</p>

<p>Wait... wasn't this the plotline from Poltergeist?</p>

<p>As someone who spent a great deal of his mis-spent youth in that area, I secretly hope the HBBB gets his house built. The area stinks to high heaven on warm days when the air is still, the traffic is going to always suck no matter where you want to go (especially in summer), any tsunami is going to flood his kitchen before it sweeps the house off it's foundation, and by the way, did anyone bother to tell you that seawater has been pumped underground to fill the voids left by the oil extraction over the last 80 years? That area was left undeveloped because no one was willing to fight the environmentalists for land that was marginal at best. But, on my next trip down there, I'll make sure I park my car in front of your house and wave as I make my way to the trails </p>

I live a little less than a mile from Brightwater and I have to agree with Nude, a low tide and a hot day make for some fairly-overwhelming, sulphur and thiol-laden stentch. My biggest complaint about Brightwater, however, has got to be the lot size--just can't get over how on-top of each other the houses were. Maybe it's because I have a dog and kids, but I consider a yard a requirement and if I were paying over $1,000,000, it'd be a definite requirement. The model I went in wad nice enough, I suppose, but for $1M+ I expected more.

As far as houses built on ancient Indian burial ground, that's just a plain bad idea: Poltergeist did not end well for anyone! And consider this, in Poletergeist hey had relatively small TV that caused transdimensional portal to be formed, energy blasts to emitted from it all kinds of other undersirable effects one doesn't really want from ANY appliance. Just imagine the damage and havoc today's 52-inch falt panels would wreak. Just something to think about....

On a related note:

Other unearthed Native American burial sites-

Upper Newport Bay: the remains of an estimated 600 ancient American Indians were dug up and reburied by the Irvine Co. in 1996. Homes were built on the site.

Hmmm...wondering how those homes are doing now????

Back