best neighborhoods for Halloween

IHS, so much for Santa Ana being the safest city for Halloween.  Too bad your daughter didn't apply to Harvard this year... Three spots just opened up tonight.

SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com) ? Authorities say three teenage girls have died after being struck in a suspected hit-and-run crash in Orange County.
Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna said the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed when the victims, who were in the crosswalk, were struck.
The accident in the 1400 block of East Fairhaven Avenue was reported Friday night about 6:45 p.m.
Bertagna said the girls were dressed in costumes and were trick-or-treating at the time.
The victims ranged in age from 13 to 15. All three were pronounced dead at the scene.
After the collision, a witness followed the suspect vehicle and eventually led authorities to where it was currently parked, said Santa Ana police Chief Carlos Rojas.
The vehicle was described by authorities as a Nissan Pathfinder and was located in a shopping plaza north of the crash site.
?We believe that we have damage that?s consistent with a vehicle collision and we do believe that that?s the vehicle at this time,? Rojas said.
?We are still looking for the individuals that were inside the vehicle and, at this moment in time, we believe that they were two male Blacks,? he added.
Bertagna said there were several witnesses in the area at the time. He said authorities are attempting to locate the parents of the children.
Anyone with more information about this case was asked to contact police at (714) 245-8665.

WTTCHMN said:
IHS, so much for Santa Ana being the safest city for Halloween.  Too bad your daughter didn't apply to Harvard this year... Three spots just opened up tonight.

SANTA ANA (CBSLA.com) ? Authorities say three teenage girls have died after being struck in a suspected hit-and-run crash in Orange County.
Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna said the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed when the victims, who were in the crosswalk, were struck.
The accident in the 1400 block of East Fairhaven Avenue was reported Friday night about 6:45 p.m.
Bertagna said the girls were dressed? in costumes and were trick-or-treating at the time.
The victims ranged in age from 13 to 15. All three were pronounced dead at the scene.
After the collision, a witness followed the suspect vehicle and eventually led authorities to where it was currently parked, said Santa Ana police Chief Carlos Rojas.
The vehicle was described by authorities as a Nissan Pathfinder and was located in a shopping plaza north of the crash site.
?We believe that we have damage that?s consistent with a vehicle collision and we do believe that that?s the vehicle at this time,? Rojas said.
?We are still looking for the individuals that were inside the vehicle and, at this moment in time, we believe that they were two male Blacks,? he added.
Bertagna said there were several witnesses in the area at the time. He said authorities are attempting to locate the parents of the children.
Anyone with more information about this case was asked to contact police at (714) 245-8665.

WTF kind of sick comment is that! Some parents just lost their daughters and you are trying to stick it to IHS.

iacrenter said:
WTTCHMN said:

Bertagna said the girls were dressed? in costumes and were trick-or-treating at the time.

WTF kind of sick comment is that! Some parents just lost their daughters and you are trying to stick it to IHS.

I agree. It's really sad those kids lost their life. Also, the driver didn't even stop.

Interesting because one of the factors that determines best place to Halloween is number of residents under 14.

Why does Santa Ana have so many kids? :)

Sad instance happen in Irvine last night too. :(

Father Killed, Child Seriously Injured After Being Hit by Car While Trick-or-Treating in Irvine

A father was killed and his 4-year-old son was injured after a car struck the pair while they were out trick-or-treating in Irvine on Halloween night, police said.

John Roger Alcorn and the child were crossing the street at West Yale Loop and Burwood Street around 7:15 p.m. Friday when a Mazda 3 being driven by a woman collided into them, according to a news release from the Irvine Police Department.

The 65-year-old father later died as a result of his injuries, police said.  His son was last reported to be in critical but stable condition.

God damn those who drives too fast on this evening. Not just in Irvine I saw on the news that in Santa Ana that 3 teenage girls were killed by a speeding car. The car was damaged so badly the drivers and passenger fled the scene.

Just terrible. The Santa Ana one killed twin girls.  One of my twin girls insisted on walking to a particular neighborhood that they were meeting up with friends for Halloween. I knew it would require crossing a busy street, especially a remote patch where people speed up and dark at night.  I'm glad I put my foot down and said no.  They were driven there and back.  I know it sounds stupid but I had to check their room again to make sure they were safe since it hit so close to home for me.

Why don't people understand that there's many little kids out at night during Halloween and that they need to slow down?

So how was everyone's Halloween last night?

This is the second year we did not go to the mall (kids are older now) and have gone neighborhood TTing.

And because it was on the Friday, it's the first time we've been to a Halloween party with the kids (we would go to them before kids).

lnc said:
Sad instance happen in Irvine last night too. :(

Father Killed, Child Seriously Injured After Being Hit by Car While Trick-or-Treating in Irvine

A father was killed and his 4-year-old son was injured after a car struck the pair while they were out trick-or-treating in Irvine on Halloween night, police said.

John Roger Alcorn and the child were crossing the street at West Yale Loop and Burwood Street around 7:15 p.m. Friday when a Mazda 3 being driven by a woman collided into them, according to a news release from the Irvine Police Department.

The 65-year-old father later died as a result of his injuries, police said.  His son was last reported to be in critical but stable condition.

65 year old father with a 4 year old son?  That man must've had a lot of life left in him.  Sad though regardless of that oddity.

I've started driving a lot more cautiously after I had my kids, and I'm much more patient with families and kids getting in and out of cars.  I always hold my son when we cross the street or even walk near one.  He's so used to it now that he won't go near a street unless my wife or I are holding him.

Went by the Fairhaven cemetery tonight. The street is wide and dark. It is between Grand and Tustin ave. Lots of friends and strangers showed up to support Cynthia Huerta for losing her twins. Wide and straight street only encourage speeding. I am a proponent of narrow and meandering streets. Drivers are much more careful when their car get scraped. For those interested in donation to their burial expenseshttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Alex...ta-Memorial-Fund/1554951618050291?sk=timeline

This is totally inappropriate comment.

My daughter is really happy with the college that cares about her and not the other way around.

WTTCHMN said:

irvinehomeshopper said:
This is totally inappropriate comment.

My daughter is really happy with the college that cares about her and not the other way around.

WTTCHMN said:

agreed.
My heart goes out to the families of those lost. how devastating

Ugh so sad to hear.  I get nervous around irvine to be honest.  Most of the drivers just pull out of streets without stopping.  I've seen mostly fobs and contractors. 

In PP, most of the fobs don't even yield at the roundabout. They just come in. I make sure to honk and flash them when I can... Just so they can learn.  We probably need a sign. There

Good luck with that, the roundabouts in Asia are impossible to merge in unless you force somebody to break by cutting them off.  Old habits die hard

This is not just an Irvine issue.  I've seen bad, careless and fast driving in other cities and states as well.  Well, WA state driving was mostly courteous when I was going to school there but not any more since transplanted Californians are there now. Unfortunately, when some people are in those metallic boxes, they feel that they are in a protected bubble and their manners, common sense and care for other people go out the door.  I always think the persons' real personality shows up when they're driving in a car.

I was at Universal yesterday and there were some long lines but not too many people shove their way before you, even the tourists.  I think that's because there isn't that protective bubble (car) between themselves and others. 

I hate walls around neighborhoods like forbidden city. Drivers are inclined to speed when driving parallel to long stretch of walls. Both horrific incidents occurred on long stretch walls or fence. The Santa Ana incident there is a long stretch of elementary school fence followed by a 1/2 mile long Fairhaven cemetery property wall with no street light. I guess way back then no one wants street light to illuminate the tombstones. Driving around in the most neighborhoods in SoCal I see no project walls in Pasadena, San Marino, Hancock Park and Beverly Hills. The places that need wall or fence are Chino Correctional facility, Lacy and Musick.

Back