Best chain pizza

ps99472

6BE0A7BD-A413-4E30-97EB-BC1141FD7D33_zpspuutrz41.jpg

Still go with Round Tables for a decent pie.  Few dollars more than Pizza Hut/Dominoes but the quality toppings are worth it.  And it passes the most important test:  still taste damn good the next day reheated from toaster oven.  None of the 'quick' pizza chains (pieology/Mod) comes even close with this leftover advantage.

The chicken garlic pizza with white sauce is umami.  Triple cheese standard topping contributes to the taste, you'll have to pay extra for it at the other chains and it's not as good as RT.

You can get a great deal on Wednesdays they have any large specialty pizza for half price, including garlic chicken.

Looks like you got half Garlic Chicken and half Garlic Supreme (my favorite).

There is a buffet lunch at the Round Table off of Fairview in Fountain Valley (of course I know that).

Round Table is great.  I agree, the best among the national chains.  Locally, First Class Pizza beats Round Table.

I don't like Costco's Pizza.  It's cheap and tastes that way.  Do love $1.50 hotdog/soda tho.  I miss the Choc dipped ice cream bar with crushed almonds. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
I like Lamppost Pizza the best, the one in Woodbridge off Barranca. 

Really?  Heard bad reviews bout them, recent yelps mention it's better now.  Hate the parking setup in that center, guaranteed a door ding/bumper moon landing.

aquabliss said:
You can get a great deal on Wednesdays they have any large specialty pizza for half price, including garlic chicken.

Do specialty count?  So any large pizza?

irvinehomeowner said:
Looks like you got half Garlic Chicken and half Garlic Supreme (my favorite).

There is a buffet lunch at the Round Table off of Fairview in Fountain Valley (of course I know that).

What pizza do they put out for the buffet?  I don't know why I went half/half, the chicken garlic trumps everything.

I think of Round Table as the best big franchise. Their ingredients are always fresh and they're very consistent.  Their King Arthur is my favorite, it's a arteries blocker, but it's delicious.

My 2nd favorite is Flippin' Pizza at main & MacArthur. I get a slice of Brooklyn with side of ranch dressing.

If I have time for a long dinner, and am craving Pizza, then Luna Rossa has great Pizza. They also have a great wine collection, delicious desserts and AMAZING brewed just for you Coffee. 

ps9 said:
What pizza do they put out for the buffet?  I don't know why I went half/half, the chicken garlic trumps everything.
Standard stuff, some specialties but rarely the Garlic Chicken. When I go there is usually 2 or 3 of us so I request it when I pay (a tip on the credit receipt helps).

At the BYO pizza places, I do a similar setup using either white sauce or no sauce, garlic, cheese, chicken, bacon (optional), tomatoes and onions... or sub pepperoni and sausage for the chicken... pretty close.

I know there was some thread where I rated the BYO pizza places but I figure this place is as good as any to post an update on my BYO rankings:

1. Blaze
I still think this place has the best combination of crust and toppings. I wish they had sliced tomatoes but I chosen to use dollops of the red sauce instead.

2 (Tie). Mod and Pieology
I didn't really like Pieology before and Mod held the 2nd place spot by itself but I've given Pieology a couple more gos and it's grown on me. I like the pepperoni they have, it's not the flat large round slices like most places but the smaller ones so it gets crispy. I still think their crust is too thin/cracker-like but many people like that. The one benefit with Mod is you can get the smaller pizza. I know bones doesn't believe this but I still can't finish a whole BYO pie. So I eat half, save the other half for another day whenever I go to Blaze or Pie (or I share it) but at Mod, I can just get the mini-Mod.

3. The Rest
I really haven't tried any other BYO except Pizza 90 which really doesn't count as they are trying to be upscale (read: expensive) and their pies are made differently, more Neapolitan than just American-style thin crust.

I wonder when one of these places are going to be able to engineer doing a thick crust pizza? Mod tries to do it with double crust but I think someone can think of a way to do quick pan style pizza (Caesar Caesar and Pizza Hut make those personal ones pretty quickly actually).

I call bull because even I can finish one whole pielogy pie by myself. I would need to hurl after but I could do it so dadbods should be able to take one down no problem.

I used to have ugly pie in the mix as pielogy (also number 2 after blaze) but after having it semi regularly (for convenience sake), they suck. Way too greasy/oily.

bones said:
I call bull because even I can finish one whole pielogy pie by myself. I would need to hurl after but I could do it so dadbods should be able to take one down no problem.
Maybe I'm really a skinny 5' tall girl.

You can ask the wife, we share one all the time, or I will not finish mine and take half home.

Or maybe because it's always at dinner where I'm less hungry. I dunno.

Funny thing is, I can probably finish a whole Round Table Garlic Supreme pizza.

ps9 said:
And it passes the most important test:  still taste damn good the next day reheated from toaster oven.

You are doing it all wrong. Next time try reheating it in a skillet or pan. Brings the crisp back!

abcd1234 said:
Has anyone tried Square One (I think that's the name) in Oak Creek?
Yes.

Not really a BYO, and their pizza is indeed square. They also have pasta and salads.

It's pretty good but expensive considering the BYO options and the fact that they are priced almost the same as CPK (and at night they convert to a sit-down type eatery).

My kids did like their kids meals.

For the Baker Ranch readers, we drive over from RSM to enjoy First Class Pizza. Great pies IMHO. Don't know about the Tustin location, but Foothill Ranch is outstanding compared to others in the area.

Stonefire Grill in Irvine has really good (greasy) pizza, but they really screw up the crusts.  If you don't mind having a 2 inch wide crust every once and a while, then it's worth a try.  The one in Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley was much better with the crust when I used to go there.

Back