Behind the Wheel "Driving Tests"

About a month ago I complained about the drivers in the Culver Plaza parking lot. Most of the responses were something along the line of, "Well what do expect? It's an Asian Plaza. Asians suck at driving, remember?"  Of course, if I had said that myself as a Non-Asian, everyone would be on my case for being racist or narrow-minded.  Whatever.

So yesterday my mother, who works in Irvine,  told me something interesting she heard from her Asian-American co-workers (age 20-45ish) who were all born in the US. Apparenty their parents don't take the traditional behind the wheel test at one of the OC DMVs the way sixteen year old non-immigrants do. They go to "special" DMVs (whaaaat? How?) where the predominately Chinese born drivers pass whether they're skilled or not. My mom said her colleagues were purposely vague about how exactly they get their licenses, but it sounded shady. Mom said the kids seemed ashamed or embarrassed that their parents and the parents' friends do this. One person brought it up, and others knew exactly what he was talking about.

So basically is the stereotype true, and is it because people who have not demonstrated the ability to drive are in the streets and parking lots of Irvine, nearly causing collisions on a daily basis?

Interesting...so DMV workers have accepted bribes.  It's also possible her co-workers meant to say or said "Traffic School" but like in a game of telephone, something got lost in translation.  Also, they were apparently being somewhat vague on purpose as if not to rat their parents out.

Burn That Belly said:
my dear princess lady

this forum has a natural and innate bias towards Asian immigrants, particularly the ones who are otherwise known as FCBs, FOBs, due to several reasons. Yet people cry foul when we talk about other ethnic groups and their shortcomings. It is indeed a double standard here. Part of the problem is that there are no FCBs/FOBs on here willing to defend themselves..why? probably because if they can't speak good English, they can't read or type; and so the viscous cycle continues. It's the same crap if you were to go on Chinese forums who talk about America and moving abroad. They'll say stuff like about "laowai's" and their behaviors and stuff. "laowai" is not as offensive as the 'n' word, but rather an impolite slang for foreign white blood folks. If you are an American born Asian, you still can't be a "laowai" because you have to be white-skinned. In Cantonese, it's a bit worse. They call whitebreds "gweilo", meaning ghoulie or ghost/ghostly man. Yeah, Cantonese people think white people are ghosts! The terms are both disputed today whether they are offensive or not because it could also mean "foreign devil".

Having said that, I'm not aware of any "special" DMV offices that exists for these people. It would violate the law and word would spread so fast like wildfire the Feds would know about it. However, I am aware of DMV employees who knowingly accepted bribes and allowed undocumented immigrants or people who couldn't pass the test otherwise to receive a valid driver's license. These employees were subsequently charged. ->http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-six-arrested-in-dmv-bribery-case-20150811-story.html

I would say it is very, very possible that there are corrupt DMV officials accepting bribes. I have friends who also "sign off" on traffic school because they are certified traffic school instructors. You pay him $100 and he'll say you completed the 12 hours school (when you have committed 2 violations in a 18-month period). Don't ask me how I know.  ;D

Traffic school is a private entity not part of the government.

princessconsuelabh said:
About a month ago I complained about the drivers in the Culver Plaza parking lot. Most of the responses were something along the line of, "Well what do expect? It's an Asian Plaza. Asians suck at driving, remember?"  Of course, if I had said that myself as a Non-Asian, everyone would be on my case for being racist or narrow-minded.  Whatever.

So yesterday my mother, who works in Irvine,  told me something interesting she heard from her Asian-American co-workers (age 20-45ish) who were all born in the US. Apparenty their parents don't take the traditional behind the wheel test at one of the OC DMVs the way sixteen year old non-immigrants do. They go to "special" DMVs (whaaaat? How?) where the predominately Chinese born drivers pass whether they're skilled or not. My mom said her colleagues were purposely vague about how exactly they get their licenses, but it sounded shady. Mom said the kids seemed ashamed or embarrassed that their parents and the parents' friends do this.

So basically is the stereotype true, and is it because people who have not demonstrated the ability to drive are in the streets and parking lots of Irvine, nearly causing collisions on a daily basis?

The other day some lady almost crashed into me on Partola Pkwy. Does a person just change lanes without looking to see if it's clear? (These were the signs: sudden stops, car was swerving in between the lane she was driving in)

I think she was on video chat or something. When I drove by her car she was looking at her phone. (She was not Asian) I think cops need to crack down on distracted drivers. For reals!

Not so much bribes as difficulty varying a lot by location. Used to be that Thousand Oaks was the place to go if everyone else failed you. There's probably something similar these days.

Back