Beacon Park Elementary School

Want to revisit this topic. Much happier with BP elem this year. Most of my complaints from last year have been addressed.

The STEAM elementary school in Tustin legacy is pre-k to 5th grade. Best part is no homework!

noMoneyBackin2011 said:
Can you explain how so?

I'm curious because I'm stunned with the idea that elementary school children should be up with HW from 9-10PM every night.

So this is what happened with us. My son was in Woodbury in 4th grade and was inundated with homework similar to what you described. He was up till 9-10pm every night and sometimes can hardly finish. Actually caused him a lot of stress. I agree, this was overboard.

We moved to PP last year and he transitioned to BP for 5th grade. If I tell you he had no homework I would be exaggerating.  There was never a night I would come home from work and I would see him doing any homework. I would be concerned but he was getting A's so I did not complain. I just found it odd that there was no homework at all. Also last year, there were a good amount of kids in his class that had behavior problems. They really disturbed the class and made it a tough learning environment. Maybe some of this blame can be pointed at the teacher but we decided to call it first year of BP transition and growing pains.

This year in 6th grade has been night and day. Kids in class are much better behaved and a better learning environment. My son tells me the kids that had behavior challenges are gone and not in BP anymore.

In terms of homework, He is getting about 1-2 hours a night and is fairly self sufficient. Usually finished by 6-7pm. They also have 50 minutes of last period to do homework and ask teacher questions during advisement time. We are not having to stay on top of him to get it work done.

You might be experiencing something different but I have come to find each teacher is different and maybe the teacher your child has is much more demanding on the homework front.

2-4 hours of homework is ridiculous. (Especially for elementary)

Is the curriculum common core or common core plus?

They had a meet and greet for Cadence Elementary yesterday. Mostly to placate the parents with kids going to Beacon now who will need to send them to Cadence next year. Lots of reassurance, blah blah.

Only big highlight was there are plans to build a third K-8 school, likely very near to Portola HS.

Latest "research" suggests homework in elementary school is not a positive. I was told this personally from an elementary school teacher in Irvine.

As I understand it, she went back east over the summer to attend workshops or something like that at an ivy league school, and apparently we have it all backwards. Many countries in Europe have been moving away from homework (starting several years ago). Again, we are behind....and coming full circle to where we were all along.
http://www.bbc.com/news/education-37716005
http://hechingerreport.org/how-finland-broke-every-rule-and-created-a-top-school-system/

Back