Bathroom Backsplash Height

dealcatcher

The standard backsplash heigh at the design center is 6 inches. That seems a bit high and I would prefer if it was around 4 inches. What are your thoughts? Below is a picture of our bathroom layout (but not the countertops or height).

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 596
i asked IP about this b4... i was trying to cut some cost by asking if i could have 4'' backsplashes instead of the 6'' ones... they told me they only offer 6'', if want 4'' ull need to do it after close... found it dumb, but whatevers, , wasnt that big of a concern for me to think about this issue more then 10 minutes ... but it might be because the material i chose was granite and is/was prefabricated... so u might want to check again with ur designer...

how hard it it to take down the granite back splashes and have someone do it later?  is that a lot of work?

i didnt do it and went with IP cause i wanted my backsplashes in all my bathrooms to have the same granite and marble from the same slabs as the counters... but if its the tiled stuff in the picture, then its easy to do, not a lot of work at all... u just need to be there watching over the 3rd party contractors the 2-3 days theyre working on it... if u have never done something like this b4, then it will feel like a lot of work... or if the contractors u find are crappy and do crappy jobs then itll also feel like a lot of work... but if u have contractors u trust and have been using for years, u just check every 2-3 hrs while they are at it

Ok, so I'm planning on going with an outside contractor for the carrera marble countertops and tub deck because the design center is charging upwards of $4800.

1) Question is, should I do the TUB SKIRT through the design center or go outside for that as well? I'm going to use a gray arizona tile 6x24".

2) If I go with an outside contractor for the skirt, the standard is the white 6x6 tile. The design center is charging around $550 to do the skirt (arizona tile mentioned above).
How much do you think an outside contractor would charge to demo the skirt's standard 6x6 white tile and replace it with the gray arizona tile?

3) Are there any risks with having an outside contractor demo the tub skirt seeing as though it's next to the tub and floor tile? (ie when they demo the skirt, is there a risk of cracking one of the floor tiles?) FYI, we're doing the floor tiles through the design center so that cannot be ruined.

Hi dealcatcher
Do you mind giving an update on your project? Did you end up going with an outside contractor?

Right now I'm in the same situation. I've been looking at quotes to update all bath countertops but if you include demo and disconnect reconnect plumbing, going with the builder seems the best alternative.

I didn't consider doing the tub deck after closing but now I think it may be a good idea.

ochomeowner said:
Hi dealcatcher
Do you mind giving an update on your project? Did you end up going with an outside contractor?

Right now I'm in the same situation. I've been looking at quotes to update all bath countertops but if you include demo and disconnect reconnect plumbing, going with the builder seems the best alternative.

I didn't consider doing the tub deck after closing but now I think it may be a good idea.

Hi, we ended up keeping the standard grade materials as they were all white and ended up looking decent since we have a contemporary look. I think eventually, 5+ years from now, 2we may consider upgrading. Sorry for not being able to help. I think if you're planning on going with expensive msterials, do it with an outside contractor. If going with relatively inexpensive material, maybe go through the builder? I just know it's always cheaper to do it after close but sometimes the hassle isn't worth it if choosing cheaper matetial.

Back