Backyard Landscape Plans and Recommendations

bones said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Unlike the Irvine villages the creator of PP focused on less density and giving the consumers more yard and distance between the neighbors. I am glad consumers are buying in PP because property size matters. Ultimately the bigger property allows remodel and expansion potential. Land locked properties must rely on new home bench mark prices for appreciation. Soon or later once Irvine will be built out then price will reach it yield point and cease appreciation. Bren will complete his development legacy before his mortality. By then properties must rely on expansion in order to increase property value.

This is so true. When u drive around some of the tracts with bigger yards in PP, the distance between houses (side yard and backyard) is really refreshing.
But then it makes it harder to just pass the jar of shrimp paste to your neighbor through the window.

#wood

ZeroLot said:
Agreed.  That is the downside to using "popular" landscapers.  But I had a lot of say in my design and even Andru is saying I'm getting really artsy and creative.  I think that's landscaper's terminology for being a pain in the a**.

When I met with Andru few weeks ago....

Me:  So, you must met plenty of very demanding home owners.
Andru:  Ha ha, tell me about it, I just had one in Marigold.
Me: Oh, So you met ZeroLot... :)

Fivepoints will be going denser with the next project inside the great park. Not knowing the success of PP the creator gambled with offering larger lot sizes to compete for the same share of consumers next door to the high profile neighbors. This introductory project will be short lived so IMO buy now before the company becomes greedy. If you are waiting for the big lots in OH don't wait because it will be priced too high compared to PP. I reviewed the PP plans on line many floor plans have excellent potential for expansion compared to other one room plans.

bones said:
ZeroLot said:
bones said:
aquabliss said:
So here's the size of my back yard in my (soon to be) PP home. 

This is one of the reasons we loved PP so much - I certainly won't find a yard this size (in my price range) in any of the Irvine Pacific / Irvine Company villages. 

Even better yet there will be no home built directly behind me so we'll have a lot of privacy.  I haven't even started contemplating landscapers or landscaping budget yet - but this thread is really starting to scare me. 

Anyhow, consider this the "before" picture - the "after" picture will probably come in 9 months or so depending on how much bonus I get this year :)

Great size yard!  I'm jealous.  And let's be honest? life's too short for a 9 foot yard ;)

Hey hey ... my 9 foot yard is a HUGE improvement from my current 0 foot yard.  It's all about perspective here ...

Hehe. I know. Just being spicy :)
Can't wait to see what you do with your yard. I'm sure it'll be great and unique. And don't worry about being a PITA with contractors.  I'm that way too!

Contractors should know if they are dealing with the Mrs. they better be at the top of their game.

Contractors LoVE dealing with Mr. Z because he lets them do whatever.  Then when I get involved its a different story. Like the paint color fiasco ... What a mess.  The garage was suppose to be sand dune and the Brandon painted it Dry Dune. So now I have a peach garage too.  Meanwhile Mr. Z kept on trying to convince me it's Sand Dune.  Then I checked the label on the bucket ...

ZeroLot said:
bones said:
ZeroLot said:
bones said:
aquabliss said:
So here's the size of my back yard in my (soon to be) PP home. 

This is one of the reasons we loved PP so much - I certainly won't find a yard this size (in my price range) in any of the Irvine Pacific / Irvine Company villages. 

Even better yet there will be no home built directly behind me so we'll have a lot of privacy.  I haven't even started contemplating landscapers or landscaping budget yet - but this thread is really starting to scare me. 

Anyhow, consider this the "before" picture - the "after" picture will probably come in 9 months or so depending on how much bonus I get this year :)

Great size yard!  I'm jealous.  And let's be honest? life's too short for a 9 foot yard ;)

Hey hey ... my 9 foot yard is a HUGE improvement from my current 0 foot yard.  It's all about perspective here ...

Hehe. I know. Just being spicy :)
Can't wait to see what you do with your yard. I'm sure it'll be great and unique. And don't worry about being a PITA with contractors.  I'm that way too!

Contractors should know if they are dealing with the Mrs. they better be at the top of their game.

Contractors LoVE dealing with Mr. Z because he lets them do whatever.  Then when I get involved its a different story. Like the paint color fiasco ... What a mess.  The garage was suppose to be sand dune and the Brandon painted it Dry Dune. So now I have a peach garage too.  Meanwhile Mr. Z kept on trying to convince me it's Sand Dune.  Then I checked the label on the bucket ...

Uh-oh, is Mr. Z in trouble? 

Most guys are not very good with colors.  Male have higher frequency of color blindness and even they don't, their eye just not that sentivity to colors compare to woman.  Mr. Z sound like a very nice guy, you should take easy on him.  :)

Uh-oh, is Mr. Z in trouble? 

Most guys are not very good with colors.  Male have higher frequency of color blindness and even they don't, their eye just not that sentivity to colors compare to woman.  Mr. Z sound like a very nice guy, you should take easy on him.  :)
[/quote]

He is but now I have to repaint parts of the house because for me, peach/pink is the same as "red to a bull".  I just get really upset whenever I see it.  :(

Blame it on Daylight Savings + a teething baby (she's cutting incisors for almost a week .... aka no sleep for a week for me so far).

Has anyone tried Aloha Pavers?http://www.aloha-pavers.com/

I have no affiliation with them but they have great Yelp reviews and seem like they would be reasonably priced.  I think pavers can look nice if you pick the right ones and pair them with planters/turf/etc.

aquabliss said:
Has anyone tried Aloha Pavers?http://www.aloha-pavers.com/

I have no affiliation with them but they have great Yelp reviews and seem like they would be reasonably priced.  I think pavers can look nice if you pick the right ones and pair them with planters/turf/etc.

they have three reviews on angieslist, one in may 2013, one in november of 2013 and one in february 2014. all "A"s - all three said they would rehire.

Did this for 10K - Demolished concrete driveway and walkway, and replaced with pavers.  Also enlarged backyard paver area.

the second review, no cost listed was for - They did a whole new driveway for me.

third review was for 6K - "T.J. and his crew demolished the old, cracked concrete patio and walkway along back of house and prepared a small grassy area in front of a shed. They put in drainage pipes, then put down several layers of foundation materials (dirt, gravel, etc), and then laid the pavers, finishing by applying the sandlike filler. They also patched areas where the pavers met the house where the stucco was chipping (before they began the project).
T.J. and his crew arrived at 7 AM and they wrapped up by 6:30 PM, having finished the job (except for applying the sealant the next day).
I was impressed by how professional the whole crew was. They seemed like a happy, skilled, and efficient team. In fact, their clean-up after the job was finished was awesome. I really appreciated how mindful they were of my plants and all of our patio furniture."

Qwerty thanks for the Angies List reviews.  If the reviews are legit I think they seem worth getting an estimate from at least, and price seems quite reasonable. 

I think (at least for now) I'm going to do something simple as well.  Just a small concrete or patio area near my slider, then turf and a step up to another level - then half turf on the second level and half pavers or concrete. 

They did this in the PP Sagewood Plan 2 model and it looks great... Will post a pic.

Irvinecommuter said:
We are in the same boat.  Contacted Aloha, BAC, Land Reform, and KS...we'll see what happens.

Great, you are a bit further along than I am at this point... please keep us posted.

Here's a couple pictures of the backyard at Sagewood I'd like to copy.  My yard is very similar in size and shape. 

I won't do the built in bbq or bar, but probably just the pavers for patio (by slider), then turf, steps up (just like this) and on the top level, half concrete and half turf, with a planter area around the sides. 

Seems simple enough but not sure how much it will set me back. 

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 473
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 395
eyephone said:
I called the "Asian guy" people are talking about on this. I will not mention his name.

The purpose of the call was to talk and schedule a visit to my place for a quote.

He was like - Who gave you my number. I can't talk - I'm too busy - I have too many jobs. I can't talk - I go.

I'm like - uh ok.

sounds like him all right  ;D

bones said:
I got SEVEN private messages from a dude claiming to be the asian guy I posted a review on about his company a few pages back in this thread.  They started innocently enough - inquiring about whether or not he did quote me.  Then he kept pressuring me to give him my address.  One of his last messages to me included the words: "I think I can locate you."  Ummm ok - kind of scary.  So I deleted my comments about his company.

Just another reason why anonymous names are the way to go on the internet.

bones said:
I got SEVEN private messages from a dude claiming to be the asian guy I posted a review on about his company a few pages back in this thread.  They started innocently enough - inquiring about whether or not he did quote me.  Then he kept pressuring me to give him my address.  One of his last messages to me included the words: "I think I can locate you."  Ummm ok - kind of scary.  So I deleted my comments about his company.
That was really OpenSky counterstalking you.

:)

#ohnohedidunt

nosuchreality said:
bones said:

Just another reason why anonymous names are the way to go on the internet.

I don't actually live in Irvine...I really live in John's Creek.

Back