Babysitters

Not a baby sitter, but The Little Gym in Tustin does two parent survival nights a month, one from 5:30 - 9:00 and the other 6:30-10:00.  Friday night, two weeks apart cost is like $30 good for toddler

There used to be a drop in child care center in Irvine but I think it's closed.

For babysitting, it's best to use someone you know or referred to you by someone you know... we've only used a relative.

Our HOA also has Parent's Night Out and places like WildFire Gym have the same type of thing.

irvinehomeowner said:
For babysitting, it's best to use someone you know or referred to you by someone you know... we've only used a relative.

Every time I think I am being paranoid, I look at IHO and feel better!
IHO, I never trusted a sitter with my children also (for weekend baby sitting) We have swapped baby sitting duties with friends, or have dropped them off at places like Wild Fire Gym. City of Irvine also has a parent's night out, not sure how that is though..

(is Mrs.IHO always on board with your parenting ideals, or do you have to convince her?)

Hmmm, maybe we need a Talk Irvine baby sitting coop.  Everybody takes a turn...

For actual baby sitters, we've used our nanny on an rare basis, I want her to have her time off and the grandparents.  Most of our friends are still DINKs. 

We do The Little Gym because we also do The Little Gym one day a week for socialization and gym time.  The children in the class also tend to show up for survival night.  And the survival night tends to have all the same faces each month. 

Cubic Zirconia said:
(is Mrs.IHO always on board with your parenting ideals, or do you have to convince her?)
She's inconsistent... some times she's worried about the smallest things... other times she looks at me like I'm a helicopter.

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
Shouldn't a toddler be in bed by 7 or 8?

Not ours..9:30-10 p.m. is the norm.

then how does he/she get the 13-14 hours of sleep needed?

My daughter laughs at 13-14 hours...she usually gets like 9-10 and then a 2 hour nap at daycare...always been that way...even as a baby.

We've found the nap to be the big issue.  Our son (2.5yrs) is a 12-14 hr combined nap/overnight sleeper. 8PM to bed and up about 7AM, when he goes to sleep at 8:30 (bedtime routine takes 15-30 minutes depending on how much negotiating he does for stories, songs and drink delays.)  When he decides to lay in bed and sing to himself until 9-10PM, then we need to wake him or he wants to sleep in.  When he gets up at 7-7:30AM, nap starts 11:30-12:30 and runs about 2 hours.  When he is up later, it rolls later.  Later means 2 hours and he gets closer to 4PM and then 8PM is too early for bed, so it's a self fulfilling problem of late to bed, late to rise, late to nap -> late to bed. 

As a kid, I think we had naptime in school until maybe 2nd or 3rd grade... I may not be recalling that correctly but I have distinctive memories of laying down on the floor between desks and the teacher walking around making sure you are trying to nap.

I think that was more of a break for the teachers than the kids... but to this day I still yearn for that after lunch nap.

nosuchreality said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
Shouldn't a toddler be in bed by 7 or 8?

Not ours..9:30-10 p.m. is the norm.

then how does he/she get the 13-14 hours of sleep needed?

My daughter laughs at 13-14 hours...she usually gets like 9-10 and then a 2 hour nap at daycare...always been that way...even as a baby.

We've found the nap to be the big issue.  Our son (2.5yrs) is a 12-14 hr combined nap/overnight sleeper. 8PM to bed and up about 7AM, when he goes to sleep at 8:30 (bedtime routine takes 15-30 minutes depending on how much negotiating he does for stories, songs and drink delays.)  When he decides to lay in bed and sing to himself until 9-10PM, then we need to wake him or he wants to sleep in.  When he gets up at 7-7:30AM, nap starts 11:30-12:30 and runs about 2 hours.  When he is up later, it rolls later.  Later means 2 hours and he gets closer to 4PM and then 8PM is too early for bed, so it's a self fulfilling problem of late to bed, late to rise, late to nap -> late to bed.

Definitely.  There are times, however, that my daughter goes through the day with no naps...she does get grouchy and may go to bed at 8:30...but generally 9:30-10 p.m....wakes up sometime around 7:00-7:30 a.m.

Back