Avenue E

<p>I have visited Ave. E a few months ago. From the 2nd floor balcony of the model, I was able to view the park with a homeless guy staring back. Try driving by at night sometime.</p>

<p>Furthermore, I was able to walk through the construction and the shared walls are literally one wall. Hmm, how can I explain this. Since they're attached condos, some walls are shared with your neighbors. I have been to other builders' attached condo projects where it's actually 2 walls separated by an inch. So that the noise are muffled. If your neighbors decide to bang on the wall, he's technically not hitting yours. It's separated.</p>

<p>How can that be?</p>

<p>The walls have to be held up by studs of some kind. So even in rooms inside your house there will be 2 slabs of drywall with wood or metal studs inbetween holding them up. I guess this is one reason that in Fla townhouses are considered more desirable. The walls inbetween the units are almost always concrete block in the first and second floors, even if the front and back are concrete block on the first floor, but plywood on the second floor.</p>

<p>I must say tho, in the "duplex" I grew up in (wasn't what they were called then) you could hear it when the neighbors had their grandkids over and they ran back and forth, and those houses, built in the 1890s I think, were SOLID. </p>

<p>Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to say.</p>

The shared wall is a cost decision made by the builder. They have two options: they can separate by 6 inches and build 2 "normal" walls, or they can build a single wall to withstand a 1 hour fire. Usually it is more cost effective to build 2 walls, but if space is scarce, they can build a very solid shared wall.

so which is better? a solid share wall or 2 walls?

reason: thanks for the insight... i did not know that. i thought john laing would build better quality homes then that. even lennar in savannah has two walls and a 6 inch space to help with the noise.

I visited Avenue E two weeks ago. Echoing what Reason said, the area is pretty seedy. What really killed it for me was that the other prospective buyers viewing the property... let's just say (to be polite) were not professional types. Oh yeah, there's a $270 HOA fee for what??? A gate and two BBQs??

hence they only been able to sell 4 units out of 44 units. they have 18 units in standing inventory. the cheapest they sold the residence 3 (4bd) for was 450k still in escrow. so i was able to get her down to the same price before she start getting upset. but i still had to say no. i wouldn't mind getting it if i can get it down to say 350k. but currently it is listed for 522k. insane in my opinon.

as for prospective buyers.... mostly asian. older adult. probably due to the new asian mall opening up on harbor and edinger. the asian community is spilling over to santa ana now.

asianinvasian,

That is funny. Is that how Irvine school work? Asian kids will bring in the better scores?

Yeah, even with 2 walls meshed together. You can still be bothered by noisy neighbors. Imagine if it's just 1 shared wall. And it's very thin.

<p>dc5rider,</p>

<p>Yes, while I was there touring one of the models. It was kind of sad. Even without understanding the language much. This little girl was begging her mom she wanted to live there. But with the smallest unit starting in the high $300k. It's unlikely the mother will buy.</p>

avenue E in my opinion is a good potential buy if the price drops to where the rent vs buy works out. right now it doesn't. 525k for 4 bedroom townhouse with sucky neighbor and seedy neighborhood is not worth it. but for 350k i would jump all over it. the area has potential of turning around. it border fountain valley and the new asian mall will draw in more asian people. plus it is close to my work, which will help with the commute.

supposely the new asian mall that will open up on edinger and harbor. read it in the asian newspaper. it was suppose to open up on bolsa but that one fell though. so now they are targeting edinger and harbor. there is the empty ralphs and half that plaza is empty. another site could be the old kmart on harbor. they money is probably flowing from the communist people investing.

And you think this mall will eventually make the area safer? Last time I checked, Bolsa isn't exactly utopia. I'm not bashing Asians BTW - I happen to be Vietnamese.

yes. i would feel safer if there were more asian around. plus it is a huge benefit living closer to the asian supermarket and restaurant. i am just saying the neighborhood would be more desirable for me if there were more asian people.

bolsa is bolsa. it is quiet at night. couple of bum but nothing too bad. streets are clean and there is no graffiti.

DC5rider- is your car fixed up? i use to have one but i sold it recently.

We looked at Avenue E this past weekend out of curiousity. The homes and floorplans actually look great, but the area definitely makes it less desireable. I also question the resale value of these homes given the neighborhood that it's in.

<p>Jbatz, </p>

<p>I currently live in Irvine. Although, I spend nearly every weekend in Bolsa. I have been seriously contemplating on moving near there. Why? I think as we get older it's nicer to be near where we tend to hang out. I would hate to be in my 60's and driving from Irvine to Bolsa. And as time goes on, I doubt traffic will improve.</p>

<p>Initially, my wife and I were attracted to Irvine due to the school system. Currently, we're already planning to send our kids to parochial schools which means we don't have to be in Irvine. Have anyone heard of the new community being built by Brandywine? I heard it's in Westminster.</p>

<p>Brandywine in Westminster? I can't imagine where, unless it's by Bolsa Chica.</p>

<p>jbatz - I put my car back to stock and will sell it soon. I'm getting older and gotta drive what my peers drive, not a rice rocket. Will probably pick up the G37.</p>

Back