AT&T Gigapower is here (1gbps or 300mbps up & down)

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerdownload

Do you even notice a difference between 300/30 and 150/10?

I didn't notice that much when they went from 50 to 100.

I didn't notice much difference in the download speeds, the main reason I got and where I can tell the difference is the uploads. When uploading stuff to the cloud it is much faster than the 10mbps upload. I generally don't download big files, just surf the net and stream Netflix, Hulu etc. so when doing that I don't think you will see much of a difference on the download side.

Hello,

We just got the keys to our new house in Portola Springs today (yay!!  8))... and currently a (very unhappy) Cox customer so I'm looking at switching to AT&T as part of the move.
It appears AT&T has already dropped support for the 300Mbps plan: it's either 100Mbps or 1Gbps. I'll be happy with the 100 to start (especially with a much higher upload bandwidth)... but I was wondering for the people here that use it: is it correct that the U300 that comes with Gigapower, even though it's branded as DirectTV, it does NOT require a satellite dish?

U300 should be branded U-Verse, not DirecTV.  I just signed up for the 1Gb/U300 package, and I had to specifically select U-Verse to get U300.  The website defaults to DirecTV, since they're trying to steer everyone towards DTV.  The tech that installed my service even hinted that U-Verse is being phased out in favor of DTV. 

Curious what's the current best deal out there for the PS area. I'm up for renewal with Cox and they jacked up the price after my promo expired.

Right now I'm seeing (as of Oct 2016):

Cox:
Ultimate 300/30 for $100 (12mo)
Premiere 150/10 for $88 (12mo)
Preferred 50/5 for $78 (12mo)
Essential 15/2 for $63 (12mo)

AT&T Gigapower:
1G  w/ unlimited cap for $80 (24mo)
100M w/ 1TB/mo cap for $60 (24mo)
45M w/ 1TB/mo cap for $50 (24mo)
24M w/ 1TB/mo cap for $40 (24mo)

So it's a bit crazy as I'm at Cox Preferred at the regular price of $78, before was on some year-long promo that was $20 cheaper. Geez at that price might as well do $80 for 1GB w/ unlimited cap.

Don't really need 1GB but like the unlimited cap. I have gone over 1TB when I was backing up to the cloud my data server. Technically, Cox plans have a quota but they haven't enforced it (yet).

Anyone able to get any further discounts? I'm thinking of maybe trying to stop by an AT&T store and/or over the phone. I know when I was with AT&T that if you threaten to cancel you get redirected to the "save" team which will usually have a "special" to keep you.

I tried similar with Cox but didn't get anything more then the current promo. The only thing I was able to get was when I went into the local Cox store (Woodbury) the rep gave me the same deal as I got when I called but he was able to throw in a free cable modem (I actually just bought one from Costco thinking I was going to use it). This is when I switched from AT&T to Cox, as at the time ATT&T in PS only went up to 24M even though it was UVerse. But now we have 1GB so it's a new game!

Also can you cancel Cox mid-month and get pro-rated or need to wait till the end of the month to do the switch? I know with AT&T they pro-rate, not sure how Cox handles cancellations.

Somewhat funny that AT&T offers a 24M plan when if you're looking to stream 4K UHD from Netflix the minimum bandwidth starts at 25M!

Love to hear if anyone scored some good bargains!

You're lucky, I'm still waiting for Gigapower to become available here in OH. You'd think they'd be targeting all the new communities.

Back