Aquarium

ps9 said:
Might kick the bully out myself if they don't get along. 

if you do, at least give it a painless death. dont flush it down the toilet so it just suffocates. just take it outside and step on it, seem more violent, but at least its quick and painless (i hope).

Another one bites the dust... kid came home, ran directly to the tank, and saw the cherry barb laying sideways on the gravel.  Several calls of "wake up Rosy!" went unanswered.  Bagged and tagged another one.  :'(

ps9 said:
Another one bites the dust... kid came home, ran directly to the tank, and saw the cherry barb laying sideways on the gravel.  Several calls of "wake up Rosy!" went unanswered.  Bagged and tagged another one.  :'(

They might have already been sick at the store but 48 hours is too soon. Next time, try bottled water (not distilled). I noticed the previous post about tank set-up mentions that tap water was used to fill it. Perhaps the PH level, chlorine, etc. were too much for the fish.  My fish, who I posted about that died recently, always had bottled water in his tank. He lasted over a year and a half. We switched to his bottled water after a previous fish before him only lived a week on tap. It worked without having to really do any fancy testing or anything. I think you will have better luck. I hope this helps.

SoCal said:
ps9 said:

They might have already been sick at the store but 48 hours is too soon. Next time, try bottled water (not distilled). I noticed the previous post about tank set-up mentions that tap water was used to fill it. Perhaps the PH level, chlorine, etc. were too much for the fish.  My fish, who I posted about that died recently, always had bottled water in his tank. He lasted over a year and a half. We switched to his bottled water after a previous fish before him only lived a week on tap. It worked without having to really do any fancy testing or anything. I think you will have better luck. I hope this helps.

I filled the tank with filtered (fridge) tap water.  I googled the Samsung filter, it removes like +90% of chlorine, so I figured it would be good enough.  I think my problem was putting all 6 fish in the bowl at once, the kid kept picking different fishes and I couldn't say no :)  didn't want to disappoint my kid that showed new interest in a hobby.  Another thing I should've done is to pour the water in the bag from the store into my tank, that way the good bacteria that eats the poop will re-populate my tank.  I read online where they say don't pour the water but thinking about it, I should've just used it.

Good news the bully has backed down, and all three remaining fish, seems to get along.  Water is getting a little cloudy, and there is condensation along the bottoms of the lid and upper edge.  Water too warm or too cold?

ps9 said:
Water is getting a little cloudy, and there is condensation along the bottoms of the lid and upper edge.  Water too warm or too cold?

Clouding is common to new tank and it's probably due to increase ammonia level and free roaming beneficial bacteria build up in the tank.  Once the bacteria settles down in the filter and the gravel, the ammonia level is under control, the water should be clear.

Condensation is normal but you should have a thermometer to monitor the water temperature and maybe a heater in the tank for winter month. 

A aquarium can be kind of PITA but as long as your little fishes are not expensive, don't sweat it.  A 10w mini aquarium heater cost $15.99, a neon tetra cost $2.79.  I think tetra can survive the California winter with out a heater. :)

Lost another one, the one with the Mickey Mouse ears on its tail fin.  Flushed this one down the toilet with a semi funeral.  Kid seems ok.  Down to two tetras.  Survival of the fittest.  The remaining two were bullying the one that died and didn't let it eat any of the food.  Life's hard in ps9's aquarium.

ps9 said:
Lost another one, the one with the Mickey Mouse ears on its tail fin.  Flushed this one down the toilet with a semi funeral.  Kid seems ok.  Down to two tetras.  Survival of the fittest.  The remaining two were bullying the one that died and didn't let it eat any of the food.  Life's hard in ps9's aquarium.
Probably you were better off just getting betta fish and a simple fish bowl.  ;)

Our last Tetra died a few weeks ago, cleaned the tank out, new filter, and ready for some new fish today.  Went to Petsmart again at the marketplace.  Wanted some goldfish at first but was told they would grow too big for our tank.  I'm thinking that's if they survive first to outgrow our tank......

Anyways, my daughter went with these gourami fish, never heard of them, sounds like a sandwich you would order at an Italian deli.  Buy 3 get 1 free, 14 day no dead fish policy, spent about $3/fish.  They seem to acclimate to our tank right away, and ate up all the leftover food that was just sitting at the bottom of the tank which the Tetras never touched.  Didn't see any bullying so far.  Poured more food in the tank and it was gobbled up quick.  So far so good with these new additions to the ps9 family.

Go for it PS9!  Make you fish live like living in Hidden Canyon. :)

60 gallon tank is a very good size and actually it is much better for the survival rate of the fish than to the smaller tanks.  Larger tank provides Less crowding, less stress, more room for roaming, and larger volume of water can dilute toxin level better.

Just make sure you follow the "one inch per gallon rule", those fishes need spaces.

Here's really cool 140 gallon hanging aquarium had me drooling.  I guess this is like the Newport Beach of aquarium, it cost $6000 just for the tank. :eek:
http://www.opulentitems.com/homedecor/aquariums/hanging-fish-tank.html
hanging_aquarium.jpg

my father in law had a really cool aquarium, his favorites were his coral reef. it was about 8-10 feet wide, about 2ft deep and about 3ft tall, as he got older though the maintenance became too much and downsized to a much smaller aquarium.

qwerty said:
my father in law had a really cool aquarium, his favorites were his coral reef. it was about 8-10 feet wide, about 2ft deep and about 3ft tall, as he got older though the maintenance became too much and downsized to a much smaller aquarium.

With live coral, your father-in-law must be avid aquarium enthusiast.  Tropical fish are way harder to take care of than freshwater fish but the live coral is even more difficult.  They look incredible  but they cost a lot of money and it really require a lot of maintenance.  Definite not something for beginners or on a budget.

lnc said:
qwerty said:

With live coral, your father-in-law must be avid aquarium enthusiast.  Tropical fish are way harder to take care of than freshwater fish but the live coral is even more difficult.  They look incredible  but they cost a lot of money and it really require a lot of maintenance.  Definite not something for beginners or on a budget.

yeah he has been an enthusiast for a long time. had a koi pond in has back yard as well.  the coral was awesome, amazing colors.

If we had an aquarium, my dad would probably just come over to go fishing.

@ps9: So does your little one get sad whenever you sashimi the fish? Or do you Kia it and replace them before she notices?

I just tell her, the last one she got a little teary eyed, but walked away instead of crying in front of me. 

Back