Anyone have any suggestions for a water softener and reverse osmosis?

jmoney74 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
No. Soon as I saw the first homes with flat roofs my mom's chronic issue with her roof came to mind. Lots of the homeowners in her neighborhood had a pitched roof installed to remedy the problem. My mom kept repairing the roof which I'm sure cost her more in the long run than getting a pitched roof installed (not cheap. The framing is different for a pitched roof).

Didn't think about that.. wonder if these roofs (at parasol park) are completely flat or what is their fix so water doesn't collect?
There's no way it's completely flat. It grade towards a drain.
If they're completely flat, never buy from that builder!

AW said:
jmoney74 said:
Ready2Downsize said:
No. Soon as I saw the first homes with flat roofs my mom's chronic issue with her roof came to mind. Lots of the homeowners in her neighborhood had a pitched roof installed to remedy the problem. My mom kept repairing the roof which I'm sure cost her more in the long run than getting a pitched roof installed (not cheap. The framing is different for a pitched roof).

Didn't think about that.. wonder if these roofs (at parasol park) are completely flat or what is their fix so water doesn't collect?
There's no way it's completely flat. It grade towards a drain.
If they're completely flat, never buy from that builder!

I believe a traditional triangle shaped roof will last longer than a flat or flat with a slant roof.

Many of the systems that get rid of Chloramine are the higher end systems.  We all have that under the table guy that can install a water softener for around 2k but those systems don't have carbon or a filtration system that gets rid of Chloramine.

Most systems that do that are around $3k plus.  Nuvia, Kleck, SoCal Water, etc.    Plus if you want the tanks looking decent in the garage, they have a full stainless tank, stainless like sleeve or simple fiberglass.

peppy said:
Bullsback said:
Paris said:
eyephone said:
If your on a budget use brita.  ;)

https://www.brita.com

I do think the water softner system is important and worth investing in. A good friend in Turtle Ridge (their house was built in 2002 I believe) did not get a water softner system. The hard water build up caused multiple pipe leaks and it cost them $20k to fix that problem, not including the fixing of the water damage that resulted which was additional $$$ on top of that. After they got a new piping system they joined the Kinetico club. Just something to think about if you will be staying in your home long term.
I don't think hard water is going to cause leaks in houses. Presume the leak was caused by other things.  If builders built homes in which the piping couldn't handle SoCal's hard water, then they should be sued for building faulty homes. I don't think that is the case. I do know there has been a number of slab leak issues on newer builds (especially in south orange county)...some people believe that it is due to certain minerals used by the water company. Not certain whether that same issue has existed in Irvine (lots of slab leaks).

New builds in coto had gotten crushed by these leaks and last I saw there was a lawsuit on the water district in the area regarding the problems.

Chloramine is the problem - not minerals. It's added to the water supply to make it potable. There's some weak science linking copper pipe failure to presence of chloramine in the water supply. Some say it is used because it is cheaper than chlorine by itself; others claim that it is required to reduce the carcinogenic byproducts of water disinfection. In any case, if this is what you are worried about you need to filter the water coming into your house (not just soften it).

What water hardness level do you TIers set on your softener?  I have mine currently on 15.

FranchisePlr said:
Many of the systems that get rid of Chloramine are the higher end systems.  We all have that under the table guy that can install a water softener for around 2k but those systems don't have carbon or a filtration system that gets rid of Chloramine.

Most systems that do that are around $3k plus.  Nuvia, Kleck, SoCal Water, etc.    Plus if you want the tanks looking decent in the garage, they have a full stainless tank, stainless like sleeve or simple fiberglass.

peppy said:
Bullsback said:
Paris said:
eyephone said:
If your on a budget use brita.  ;)

https://www.brita.com

I do think the water softner system is important and worth investing in. A good friend in Turtle Ridge (their house was built in 2002 I believe) did not get a water softner system. The hard water build up caused multiple pipe leaks and it cost them $20k to fix that problem, not including the fixing of the water damage that resulted which was additional $$$ on top of that. After they got a new piping system they joined the Kinetico club. Just something to think about if you will be staying in your home long term.
I don't think hard water is going to cause leaks in houses. Presume the leak was caused by other things.  If builders built homes in which the piping couldn't handle SoCal's hard water, then they should be sued for building faulty homes. I don't think that is the case. I do know there has been a number of slab leak issues on newer builds (especially in south orange county)...some people believe that it is due to certain minerals used by the water company. Not certain whether that same issue has existed in Irvine (lots of slab leaks).

New builds in coto had gotten crushed by these leaks and last I saw there was a lawsuit on the water district in the area regarding the problems.

Chloramine is the problem - not minerals. It's added to the water supply to make it potable. There's some weak science linking copper pipe failure to presence of chloramine in the water supply. Some say it is used because it is cheaper than chlorine by itself; others claim that it is required to reduce the carcinogenic byproducts of water disinfection. In any case, if this is what you are worried about you need to filter the water coming into your house (not just soften it).

I got an Aquasana system for way less than $3k ....

After tons of reserach, how their systems work and various water softener people coming over, I ended up going with the Puronics system with a great installer.  I basically got a top of the line unit for $2,900 that has carbon as well to get rid of chloramines and has a salt/potassium tank.  All Stainless Steel system vs a Fiberglass or Stainless Steel sleeve tank.    The water is absolutely amazing and I definitely can tell a big difference.

PM me if you want his contact.

Reviving this thread?

Any families come across quality suggestions for under the counter tankless reverse osmosis systems? The EWG Guidelines have been on our mind lately and we would welcome any quality suggestions.

I have the Brondell Circle from Costco. I like it.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Reviving this thread?

Any families come across quality suggestions for under the counter tankless reverse osmosis systems? The EWG Guidelines have been on our mind lately and we would welcome any quality suggestions.

box said:
Irvine Pacific is currently using Falsken Water System products for whole house water conditioner, water softener, and undersink RO system.
https://falskenwatersystems.com/

Anyone have experience with them?

I've only had the Heater Treater (https://falskenwatersystems.com/heater-treater/) from them and that worked fine for when I didn't have softened water.

box said:
CalBears96 said:
box said:
Irvine Pacific is currently using Falsken Water System products for whole house water conditioner, water softener, and undersink RO system.

You mean that's part of their upgrade options?

Yes, as part of their upgrade options.

I'm planning to buy either Bluffs or Highland, so this would be useful information for me too.

I'm currently using EcoWater Systems. I only experience one issue with the water softener, after about 10 years of use. Didn't have any problems with RO. The other thing is that EcoWater is one of the vendors found at Costco and my wife likes to use the ones at Costco. We were planning to do that again once we've moved in.

But this upgrade options is an interesting choice.

CalBears96 said:
box said:
CalBears96 said:
box said:

we used Mccowin Water. They have great customer service.

I'm planning to buy either Bluffs or Highland, so this would be useful information for me too.

I'm currently using EcoWater Systems. I only experience one issue with the water softener, after about 10 years of use. Didn't have any problems with RO. The other thing is that EcoWater is one of the vendors found at Costco and my wife likes to use the ones at Costco. We were planning to do that again once we've moved in.

CalBears96 said:
box said:
CalBears96 said:
box said:

How much is the upgrade?  I think that would determine it for me. 

box said:

I have the Falsken Water Conditioner and Softener. It seems like it works fine - haven't had any issues. I should test my water soon. I do notice that there isn't as much pink/mildew in our showers and sinks with a conditioner and softener.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
box said:

I have the Falsken Water Conditioner and Softener. It seems like it works fine - haven't had any issues. I should test my water soon. I do notice that there isn't as much pink/mildew in our showers and sinks with a conditioner and softener.

Why do you need a conditioner and a softener, I've always read conditioners don't do anything, just use a softener, wondering why you have both. 

akkord said:
box said:

Why do you need a conditioner and a softener, I've always read conditioners don't do anything, just use a softener, wondering why you have both.

According to the Falsken website, the conditioner is more for the taste. It has nothing to do with softening the water. But if you get a RO, do you still need the conditioner?

CalBears96 said:
akkord said:
box said:

According to the Falsken website, the conditioner is more for the taste. It has nothing to do with softening the water. But if you get a RO, do you still need the conditioner?

I bought my house from the original owner. They opted for the water conditioner from Irvine Pacific. When we moved into the house we found that the conditioner was OK but we needed the softener for the water spots. The water goes through the conditioner and the softener before coming into the house. The water people suggested it's very close to drinking water. I have yet to test it myself though.

Back