Anyone has any experience with California Pacific Homes Design Center?

iloveirvineoc

Hi Irvine expects,

I am looking to get a new home with Caserta. Does anyone have any experience with California Pacific Homes Design Center? How's their reputation, quality, fees, customer service, etc..? I am debating between finding a private contractor or using the design center for upgrades...Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

*Sorry, I read the topic wrong and below experience is for Irvine Pacific Design Center.

Not only do they charge a premium for labor and material, but everything you spend there will also be counted towards your final home price, which means you will be paying property tax for your upgrades. That said, some things you will still want to get from them:

To get:
Low voltage/Electricals
Kitchen/bath cabinet upgrades

To consider:
Countertops - They charge a huge premium of course, but since they give you credit for the standard that you're replacing, it might turn out to be close to what you can find outside. It will also depend on your measurements since you have to buy it by the slab outside.
Sinks - If you get the countertops from them then you will also have to do the sinks here.

Don't do it:
Flooring - cant speak for carpets but their pricing for hardwood floor is at least 25-50% higher for the exact same thing.  Their selling point is their warranty and that any flooring work done outside will void it. But with the upfront premium they charge plus the perpetual property tax, I wouldn't do it.
Appliances 

The key is to just go in, utilize your designer's expertise, add everything you want to the wish list, then take that list and go shop around. I do know 2 people who got everything through the design center because they didn't have time to look around, and both are very satisfied with the service and work. However, both also admitted that they wish they had the time to shop for better deals. The people that I  have came across at the design center so far are nice and easy-going, and I just keep an honest relationship with them and tell them upfront that I will be shopping around to see my options. Good luck!

Appreciate for the great input. That got me thinking because I don't really know any contractor who will do the flooring, cabinets, countertops..etc..But the sales price is based on the upgrades really make me backing out from all the upgrades. Does anyone has any reputable contractor who you can recommend?
I really don't know where to start...Any recommendations?

Thanks!

iloveirvineoc said:
Appreciate for the great input. That got me thinking because I don't really know any contractor who will do the flooring, cabinets, countertops..etc..But the sales price is based on the upgrades really make me backing out from all the upgrades. Does anyone has any reputable contractor who you can recommend?

Thanks!

Thanks Tom_Irvine_Guy, please do keep me updated after you come back!

iloveirvineoc said:
iloveirvineoc said:

Thanks!

Thanks Tom_Irvine_Guy, please do keep me updated after you come back!

Interesting - I would do the kitchen upgrades with the builder.

WasToldToChangeMyName said:
Regardless of who the builder is, you will probably want to go with the builder for the kitchen countertops. It's "included" in the price of the house unless you want to upgrade to something other than their standard. If you upgrade, they will give you some credit back.  If you go outside, won't really make sense (practical or financially) to rip out perfectly nice granite and install something new. And they won't let you close with no countertops and won't give u a credit if you don't do the upgrade through them.

Even with the "credit" going with outside granite is a fraction of the cost from builder.  Is this like getting a used fridge for the price of a used fridge from the builder?

The Bones & Test love story set to music:

Warning / NSFW. Explicit language. (Yes, it's a real out-take from the 1965 hit.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA64mhwfoZc&list=PLFrv8nwB2HyG-bqsRyQvvHEXWkBfZnkbK&index=31

test said:
Regardless of who the builder is, you will probably want to go with the builder for the kitchen countertops. It's "included" in the price of the house unless you want to upgrade to something other than their standard. If you upgrade, they will give you some credit back.  If you go outside, won't really make sense (practical or financially) to rip out perfectly nice granite and install something new. And they won't let you close with no countertops and won't give u a credit if you don't do the upgrade through them.

Even with the "credit" going with outside granite is a fraction of the cost from builder.  Is this like getting a used fridge for the price of a used fridge from the builder?

I'm just glad I'm important enough for you to remember me and my fridge story. I have no clue who the fuck you are.

I found you on Youtube

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uyJYje-uXI[/youtube]

Hello future neighbor!  I entered a contract on Cacerta!

Their upgrade is at least 30% premium over what you can get from HomeDepot.  The flooring upgrade is unbelievably high!!!  I'm going to get flooring and windows treatment from HomeDepot, and use HomeDepot contractor to do the job.  A lot of choices, and easy.  From time to time, HomeDepot has sweet specials.

LiteThru said:
Hello future neighbor!  I entered a contract on Cacerta!

Their upgrade is at least 30% premium over what you can get from HomeDepot.  The flooring upgrade is unbelievably high!!!  I'm going to get flooring and windows treatment from HomeDepot, and use HomeDepot contractor to do the job.  A lot of choices, and easy.  From time to time, HomeDepot has sweet specials.

Thank you very much for the update! I probably will do the same thing with the flooring. !

Back