Anyone ever bought Refrigerator and Washer/Dryer through the builder

DrTravel

Notice that Irvine Pacific sells appliances through their design center. Big selling point on their refrigerators were that they were counter depth so that they do not stick out too much into the aisle way between the counter and island. Of course their depth is 27.5" without handles and the counter is 25" depth so they do protrude a 3-4 inches. Relatively small at 22 cubic feet. Typical refrigerators are 27+ cubic feet with a depth of 33" without handles. And naturally the smaller counter depth refrigerator cost more than their larger cousins. They only offer Kitchenaid and Jenn-Air (which are actually the same manufacturer). I checked their model numbers on-line and it seems they only offer old and soon to be discontinued models.

All the new home nowadays don't accommodate regular fridge, so buyer either get a freestanding counter-depth fridge or a build-in fridge.  It would be nice if builder can provide extra rear clearance to accommodate regular full size fridge. 

If it is just regular counter-depth fridge, I get it from somewhere else.  Same goes for the washer and dryer, you'll get more selection and  better deal out there. 

But if it's build-in fridge, I would go with builder. 

No, never did.  When I asked for the pricing, it was expensive (Orchard Hills - The Groves), the price was something like a car at $20,000+.  The built-in fridge is going to cost you more, in the future that built in cabinetry will limit your choices on replacement or servicing.  I would just buy a counter depth elsewhere as you can likely get a better price on a washer/dryer/fridge deal.

Another pet peeve of mine is the lack of depth fridge if you want it flush on all these new homes.  Soon it won't be able to accommodate anything.  I thought there was one in one of the groves model homes, very shallow. 

If I buy one, it's going to be a regular, standard depth, who cares if it's not flush, flushness to me only applies to lowered car with aftermarket rims with the correct offsets.

We bought a 48" Sub-zero refrigerator with an interior water dispenser from the builder (Brookfield). The price they offered was actually less than MSRP, which wasn't true for the comparable Viking model. You really should care if it's flush. Makes the kitchen look so much more high end.

DrTravel said:
Notice that Irvine Pacific sells appliances through their design center. Big selling point on their refrigerators were that they were counter depth so that they do not stick out too much into the aisle way between the counter and island. Of course their depth is 27.5" without handles and the counter is 25" depth so they do protrude a 3-4 inches. Relatively small at 22 cubic feet. Typical refrigerators are 27+ cubic feet with a depth of 33" without handles. And naturally the smaller counter depth refrigerator cost more than their larger cousins. They only offer Kitchenaid and Jenn-Air (which are actually the same manufacturer). I checked their model numbers on-line and it seems they only offer old and soon to be discontinued models.

You know the builder is doing this on purpose to the inconvenience of the buyer(s).  If you want to bite back tell the builders that you don't do 25" fridge, demand them to accommodate your wants and, if they refuse, then demand them to refund you cost of kitchen so you can bring in your own contractors.  Nail them hard.

Failing that, call your contractor to demolish or move the island.  Buy a fridge that you want to use, not one that only looks good.  If not being flush drives some visitors crazy, go push some paintings or pictures on the wall off-center before they arrive to create distractions.

Pros:

You only put 20% down on your appliances and have 30 years to pay them off at a low tax deductible interest rate.
They will be installed before closing

Cons:

You pay 1.1% property tax on your appliances that goes up 2% per year
You have only one choice typically

We went through the builder to get the built in fridge. We shopped around but found that the builder's price was actually less than any retailer by close to $1,000.  I found my kitchen configuration annoying, almost forcing you to get the built in, because it just looks ridiculous if you put a free standing non counter depth fridge  in that space with a huge gap above the fridge.

To top it all off, it was a 42 inch wide space which greatly limited the number of manufacturers selling that size of built in fridge. In my opinion, its all a giant conspiracy from the home construction/home goods industrial complex to make homeowners pay through the nose for unnecessary upgrades.

We bought our refrigerator, a Samsung counter-depth, from Costco.  It's not a large fridge, but it's quiet and has been great so far.  Having a smaller fridge doesn't matter to us for these reasons:  We got the under-counter beverage center so most of our drinks are in there, and larger refrigerators just get more cluttered and require too much rearranging to get to food at the back. The space between the fridge and island would be much too small if you went with a standard model.  I think ours looks nice, but we aren't picky about the handles being a different shape than Kitchen Aid.

Also love our LG Washer/Dryer which we got on sale at Home Depot.  Some installers were having trouble with stackable units of brands that don't attach in the front but LG doesn't have that problem.

DrTravel said:

Villager said:
We bought a 48" Sub-zero refrigerator with an interior water dispenser from the builder (Brookfield). The price they offered was actually less than MSRP, which wasn't true for the comparable Viking model. You really should care if it's flush. Makes the kitchen look so much more high end.

I think it only looks high end if you get a built-in and also if you have an overall high end looking house, which sounds to me like you have (La Vita?). Those homes cost a lot more than Strada, which are still expensive but different caliber and I don't recall seeing the kitchen configured for built-in fridges.

We got our counter depth Samsung at Best Buy during their 4th of July sale. Add on the 10% off movers coupon plus first time purchase with opening a new credit card 10% Points, it was a "steal".

Back