Any tips for my New Home Walk Through today?

rimrattler6

Hey TI'rs,

Going to have my final new home walk through with the builder rep. I'll have my real estate agent there and my fiance. What should I be looking out for? Any tips? Is there anything that would be considered too "nitpicky"? My opinion is probably not since it's a "BRAND NEW" home and everything should be immaculate.

Thoughts?

Congrats on the purchase of your new home.
Hope everything goes well with the final walk thru
MY Tip: Enjoy your new place!
Did you buy in Irvine or someplace else?

rimrattler6 said:
Hey TI'rs,

Going to have my final new home walk through with the builder rep. I'll have my real estate agent there and my fiance. What should I be looking out for? Any tips? Is there anything that would be considered too "nitpicky"? My opinion is probably not since it's a "BRAND NEW" home and everything should be immaculate.

Thoughts?
Congrats on the purchase.  Go through the home slowly and be as nitpicky as you want.  If you see something that is not right or looks off, let the builder and insist that they take care of it to your satisfaction.  Have you considered hiring a home inspector to accompany you (for added peace of mind)?

Thanks!!

I bought in Vista Del Verde's Greenbrier Community in Yorba Linda...

Did you buy new construction? I"m super paranoid about things getting fixed..sure I got a 1 year warranty, but the less problems and contractors walking through my house, the better. So i'm just seeing if anyone had any lessons learned from their walk throughs.

USC--Yes, I found a highly recommended and reviewed inspector local to the Yorba Linda area..he comes in tomorrow to check all the things I don't know about (e.g. foundation, insulation, etc...) I completely agree that the $400 is well worth it!!

If you can, bring an outlet checker,etc., that may help.  After my brother in law moved into his new home he discovered the builder did not run phone lines to the kitchen phone jack and several electrical outlets were wired in reverse.  Of course the builder fixed it but they had to rip out a few feet of drywall to run the lines and then repair the wall. 

Go upstairs first and turn on all the faucets, including the tub. Take your time looking around with electrical with the faucets running. Look for leaks, backups, etc. Had a friend buy a William Lyon home and found the spa/tub jets were not properly connected. Flooded the entire upstairs. Yes, you'll waste water, but sure beats the alternatives....

I'd definitely be as nit picky as you can.  No need to be nice when you are forking over that much money.

Green People is right. Majority of defects are plumbing and leak related. Run a tubful and sinkful of water and see how both drain. During construction a lot of solid things were thrown And fallen into the drains. Bring a hose and spray at all the windows and doors for leaks. If you can spray water on the roof by using a jet spray nozzle then check for leaks. Roof leak is the number one problem because builder never check that before releasing the homes. A lot of time a torrential rain comes too late after 12 months then you are screwed. Drizzle for the most part don't show up as a leak. New homes actually have a lot of problems and you need to troubleshoot yourself. The builder will only fix what you catch and will not tell you the defects even when they see them.

Back