Any recommendation for Singapore Math Tutors

Caltwang

Good evening, TI members.  I'm new to the site and a first time poster as my family recently moved to Irvine.  My children attend elementary school in the IUSD (grades 1 and 5) and I am looking to supplement their school's CC math curriculum with additional Singapore math learning - either after school or on weekends. 

Based upon my online research, I saw that Chyten Test Prep (located on Barranca) offers some Singapore math instruction, so I'm curious if anyone on the forum has any experience (whether good or bad) with Chyten's learning methods.  Also, does anyone have any referrals for private Singapore math tutors in Irvine who might be willing to meet at home or in a public library?

Any information or referral is greatly appreciated and feel free to respond to me privately.  Thank you.

@eyephone

Not sure if your joking.... But Singapore Math is a style of teaching math to elementary school kids that originated from its namesake.  It's related to Common Core Math (meaning parents will be scratching heads).  Anyone can teach it, not just people from Singapore.
http://www.singaporemath.com

First, google search MIF_Model_Drawing_LR.pdf. That pdf will explain the best part of Singapore math.

Second, go to buy Singapore math word problems (My kid's teacher strongly recommended). Sit with your kids and work on one or two questions every night.

My kid worked on level 5 and level 6 during summer. We tried to use traditional way, Singapore math way and algebra way for most questions. And I can see my kid learn a lot.

ps9 said:
@eyephone

Not sure if your joking.... But Singapore Math is a style of teaching math to elementary school kids that originated from its namesake.  It's related to Common Core Math (meaning parents will be scratching heads).  Anyone can teach it, not just people from Singapore.
http://www.singaporemath.com

Oh my bad. I really thought that person is looking for a tutor from Singapore.  ;)

Btw - I don't believe in common core standards like Glenn Beck and Lousiana Govenor Jindal.

I thought Common Core was bad... so does that mean Singapore Math is bad too?

I'm with eyephone... I thought the OP was asking for an ethnic tutor... like is there a difference between Capital Noodle and Tasty Noodle?

Thanks for the replies and as noted by others, I'm not looking for an ethnic tutor but rather, a tutor who understands how to teach the Singapore math curriculum to young children. 

I've ordered some Singapore math workbooks from Amazon and will try those out first, but my understanding is that the Singapore math methods have some similarities with CC, but with a long track record of proven success.  Thanks again.

My 6th grader gets Singapore math packets at his school in addition to the CC stuff.  Don't the other schools do this? 

Back