Annoying Detail for Maricopa Homes

davenlei said:
As I said in the past, my address of the home I sold in Irvine a few years ago had a '4' in it and it did scare away several potential buyers.  I also had a potential buyer walk away from the house and never enter if because she said the door was at an angle to the front of the house and not parallel to it.  Kinda funny that grown adults would let such benign things affect their major life decisions.

So with the '4' issue, is everyone born in April or the 4th, 14, and 24th of each month screwed?  Will all potential spouses run away as soon as they find out when their boyfriend/girlfriend was born?  Will Asians avoid having kids in 2014?  I can see the news report "Mystery drop in Asian birth rate in 2014".

So silly... 

I agree, it's SO silly it almost kills me.  I hate buying into the ridiculous superstitions and I would normally just brush them off but when the Asian buyers are so strong as in Irvine, I want to know what they're thinking and why they're turned off by certain properties. 

Whenever I see a property listed on redfin and it doesn't move for a month or more, I mentally go down the list:

(1) is there a 4 in the address?
(2) is it a T intersection house?
(3) is it an L intersection house?
(4) does the entry open directly to stairs?

Gimme a break, right?  Ha ha ha... but I'm thinking about these things now because I don't want to have these obstacles when I go and try to resell if it were to come to that!

Yeah... as much as I make fun of it... it's in the back of my mind when we're looking around... but if we find a perfect floorplan for an awesome price, even if it the address is 4444 4th St., we'll buy it because we are probably going to stay there 4-ever (heh).

yellowplum said:
Are you sure that's part of the address but not the lot #?

For example:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/35-Lyndhurst-92620/unit-56/home/40040225

If you look at the listing, it actually says the legal lot # is 56.

Hope this helps!

You and shokunin are right.  The second # is merely the lot #.  I talked to the Maricopa rep today and he said that the legal address is: 35 Lyndhurst.  He said that's all the post office needs to deliver the mail.  He said there's a centralized mailbox system because "the post office no longer wants to deliver to individual homes."  That was almost verbatim what he said.  I've never heard that before.  Isn't it the postman's job to deliver mail to a home?  When did the postman get so lazy?     

I'm still on the fence about how annoyed I'd be about having to walk to that mailbox every day or every night to pick up my mail or packages.  Argh.

It's not that bad, and like previously mentioned, it is safer to have the locked compartments in the community mailboxes if you do alot of ebay/internet ordering.  And it's also one less thing to maintain if your mailbox gets beat up and some snotty HOA rep sends you a letter to fix your own house or get fined.  And you might run into your neighbor and catch up on things..

SecretGarden said:
davenlei said:
Whenever I see a property listed on redfin and it doesn't move for a month or more, I mentally go down the list:

Can you please explain (4)? I haven't heard that one before . And what does it mean that the entry opens to stairs? So would new houses in laguna Altura  / Woodbury have problems where as soon as you come in, the stairs are on your right?

Nova said:
Can you please explain (4)? I haven't heard that one before . And what does it mean that the entry opens to stairs? So would new houses in laguna Altura  / Woodbury have problems where as soon as you come in, the stairs are on your right?

I'm not Chinese but supposedly the word 4 has the same sound as the word "die" or "death" (not sure which) in the Chinese language.  So, this discourages a lot of Chinese buyers from buying a house with the number 4 in the address. 

The entry opening to stairs deals with "feng shui," which many Asians subscribe to.  If the stairs lead directly to the entry, "feng shui-ers" say luck will leave your house as soon as you open the door--or something to that effect.   

I don't think the Laguna Altura or Woodbury homes would have an issue if the stairs are to the right and they aren't directly in front of the entry. 

One other I can think of is it's bad if the front door has a direct path to the back door... I remember one of models in Ciara of Columbus Grove changed their configuration so that the back door was moved to the nook based on comments by visitors.

SecretGarden said:
davenlei said:
As I said in the past, my address of the home I sold in Irvine a few years ago had a '4' in it and it did scare away several potential buyers.  I also had a potential buyer walk away from the house and never enter if because she said the door was at an angle to the front of the house and not parallel to it.  Kinda funny that grown adults would let such benign things affect their major life decisions.

So with the '4' issue, is everyone born in April or the 4th, 14, and 24th of each month screwed?  Will all potential spouses run away as soon as they find out when their boyfriend/girlfriend was born?  Will Asians avoid having kids in 2014?  I can see the news report "Mystery drop in Asian birth rate in 2014".

So silly... 

I agree, it's SO silly it almost kills me.  I hate buying into the ridiculous superstitions and I would normally just brush them off but when the Asian buyers are so strong as in Irvine, I want to know what they're thinking and why they're turned off by certain properties. 

Gimme a break, right?  Ha ha ha... but I'm thinking about these things now because I don't want to have these obstacles when I go and try to resell if it were to come to that!

I think 80% of the time is
5) the seller price it too high

Back