Amazon to build second Headquarters

Read in one of the real estate trade journals that Amazon is currently negotiating 500,000s.f. of office space in Boston.  Not sure if that means anything.

Irvinecommuter said:
OCLuvr said:
Boston would be very expensive for employees

So would most of the cities that made it to the second round.  Expensive means people want to live there...easier to attract and keep talent.

Some of those places aren't very expensive. Low housing/living expenses also attracts talent because the buck goes farther.

Still won't get me to TX or Johns Creek... bad weather.

I've got $$$ on Boston.

Surprising to see two Pennsylvania locations as top 20. Pittsburg would be an interesting choice, and understandable given the robotics and tech focus within the local universities.

I had a soft spot in my head for San Juan Puerto Rico for the WIN. Too bad they didn't make the cut. Would have been a game changer for the island and surrounding areas.

OCLuvr said:
Boston would be very expensive for employees
Not accurate - plenty of lower cost suburbs with upscale demographics and excellent public schools within a 1 hr drive of downtown BOS. Check out places like Holden MA or Bedford NH.

USCTrojanCPA said:
lnc said:
Surprised that LA even made it to one of top 20.

They were probably just a token pick.  No way So Cal gets picked.

Agreed it would make no sense.  When starting Amazon, Bezos picked Seattle because of the tech talent assembled by Microsoft. 

It would make sense to pursue East Coast talent for HQ2.  Boston would be the hub for that I would think.

It would make the most sense to pick Toronto in case engineers fom shithole countries needed a visa to visit corporate headquarters.

a bigger consideration than taxes / housing cost may be
walkability / desirability / availability of good talent .  Boston scores well on those.  If I had to pick one, would be Boston.

Atlanta is cheap but weather / traffic / available talent may be subpar

LA stands no chance.  I think this list just encompasses all the metro areas across the country anyways so kind of a meaningless list. 

Loco_local said:
It would make the most sense to pick Toronto in case engineers fom shithole countries needed a visa to visit corporate headquarters.

Merit based immigration will solve that problem for the US.

Maybe LA?
-Port of LA/LB
-Film: growing the film segment
-Airport: flights are available to all over the world, got to take care of an issue no problem, vendors can fly in with ease
-Produce: a lot of produce from the globe come to LA (grocery segment)
-Entertainment: things to do too many to list, take out clients, company outing
-Food: maybe the food choice the best in the US
-Weather: maybe the best climate in the US
-Infrastructure: already in place (at a small town, I don?t know)

bottom line: Happy workers = more productivity.

(Tax break is nothing when you are making money hands over fist.)

I posted this on another thread. The Polls are showing 2/1 chance for Atlanta, 3/1 for Austin and 6/1 for Boston. Atlanta is in the lead.

In 2018, the Amazon's second headquarters will be announced. Will it be in Austin or Atlanta? People on betting on Atlanta. I am going upload some interesting real estate charts of three cities in the south.

LVZiNWf.jpg

At the same time, the city that scores the second headquarters can expect housing prices, along with other costs of living, to increase.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/27/technology/amazon-hq2-housing-costs-seattle/index.html

New research from Apartment List, a site that catalogs apartment rentals across the country, forecasts an annual rent increase of up to 2% per year in the city that houses HQ2. That's on top of organic price increases that already occur from year to year.

"Rents are already rising rapidly nationwide," Apartment List said in a report that analyzed data from the U.S. Census and Bureau of Labor Statistics. Half of renters are considered "cost burdened," spending 30 percent or more of their income on rent, according to the firm.

Apartment List said Raleigh, Pittsburgh and San Jose would experience the highest rent increases if HQ2 comes to town. The impact would be smaller in cities like Washington D.C., Los Angeles and Dallas.
The largest increase in housing costs would be in Raleigh, which wouldn't be able to build enough homes to sustain the influx of workers, according to the report. Meanwhile, housing costs would stay lower in places like Dallas, which has lax building restrictions and a cheaper labor pool.

E6NOAZG.jpg

In my opinion, the Atlanta's housing market is still undervalued. I've been told for many years that the housing prices in the south just doesn't appreciate 10% a year. It is not possible in the south. Take a look at the Dallas and Nashville chart. Nashville's housing prices are now 35% above the last peak while Atlanta is just getting back up to his last peak of July 2017. I sense that the Atlanta's housing market momentum is starting to build just like the LA/OC market between 1994 - 1999. There is no reason why Atlanta housing market can't be above 35% the last July 2007 peak like Nashville. Amazon's second headquarters in Atlanta will be a complete game changer.

Home prices are set to soar in 2018.https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/02/home-prices-are-set-to-soar-in-2018.html

Back