Altair - new Irvine luxury housing by Lennar/Toll Bros - not Great Park, not TIC

aquabliss said:
Save the potential heartache, buy in Orchard Hills and enjoy a good night sleep.

AW's comment got me thinking. 

If the Op is worried about the plume, the Op will probably be worried about pesticide use too, and they regularly spray in OH IIRC. Didn't Quail Hill have higher children cancer cases "possibly" due to the type of pesticides they used? I would assume that they stopped using those pesticides in all of Irvine/OC or have they not b/c everyone doubts what big companies say.  ;D

aquabliss said:
glitterbomb said:
Hi...so is the land here really toxic or is it safe? I am debating on whether to buy a home here, one I will actually live in (not just an investment home). Is it safe living on a former military base?  I know they claim they have cleaned it up, especially the portion Altair is on, but I have talked to a scientist I know and they believe there is no way the land can ever be made completely safe and it is a risk, as vapors can seep up into the house. The only reason that alone didn't make me walk away is because I really do love the house.

I can send you plume maps and you can read research and commentary until you?re blue in the face.  Bottom line is, no matter what all the material says or whichever way it swings you, you have to be comfortable with your decision and be able to sleep well at night knowing you made the best choice for you and your family.

Reading your post above, Altair is clearly *NOT* the neighborhood for your family.  Do not buy here, do not consider it.  The toxic potential will leave you tossing and turning at night and why would you want to pay big $$$ for this kind of added stress?

If you move to Altair and you have a young son that (heaven forbid) is diagnosed with some form of cancer 5 years later, you?ll never know if it had anything to do with your living conditions but I bet you?ll never forgive yourself for making that choice with the information you had available.

Save the potential heartache, buy in Orchard Hills and enjoy a good night sleep.

I have to agree with Aquabliss here.  No one can ever really know.  How many stories have we seen of homes all across the country being built on toxic dump sites, where people were forced to evacuate or voluntarily leave their homes, or lawsuits against the builders for false information, etc, etc. 
The risk here really is the unknown.  Maybe you are safe, but maybe you are not.  It is just not worth it. 

Perhaps the Chinese do not mind buying since many probably will not live in these homes.  However if I had a family, I would steer clear of this place. 

kpatnps said:
aquabliss said:
glitterbomb said:
Hi...so is the land here really toxic or is it safe? I am debating on whether to buy a home here, one I will actually live in (not just an investment home). Is it safe living on a former military base?  I know they claim they have cleaned it up, especially the portion Altair is on, but I have talked to a scientist I know and they believe there is no way the land can ever be made completely safe and it is a risk, as vapors can seep up into the house. The only reason that alone didn't make me walk away is because I really do love the house.

I can send you plume maps and you can read research and commentary until you?re blue in the face.  Bottom line is, no matter what all the material says or whichever way it swings you, you have to be comfortable with your decision and be able to sleep well at night knowing you made the best choice for you and your family.

Reading your post above, Altair is clearly *NOT* the neighborhood for your family.  Do not buy here, do not consider it.  The toxic potential will leave you tossing and turning at night and why would you want to pay big $$$ for this kind of added stress?

If you move to Altair and you have a young son that (heaven forbid) is diagnosed with some form of cancer 5 years later, you?ll never know if it had anything to do with your living conditions but I bet you?ll never forgive yourself for making that choice with the information you had available.

I have to agree with Aquabliss here.  No one can ever really know.  How many stories have we seen of homes all across the country being built on toxic dump sites, where people were forced to evacuate or voluntarily leave their homes, or lawsuits against the builders for false information, etc, etc. 
The risk here really is the unknown.  Maybe you are safe, but maybe you are not.  It is just not worth it. 

Perhaps the Chinese do not mind buying since many probably will not live in these homes.  However if I had a family, I would steer clear of this place.

What about Woodbridge? Isn?t it even on IRWD?s site that shows the toxic levels on areas of Oak Creek, Woodbridge, CVE, and GP?

How about SG, EW, and PS since they?re within 3 miles radius from the OC?s biggest landfill? Isn?t Lambert Ranch like right under it?

How about OH and other hilly areas where there are much pesticides? I think QH is now using no pesticides at all, but won?t that give you so much bug problems especially in summer?

Where shall we live?

WTTCHMN said:
aquabliss said:
Ya I?m done with Irvine and your toxic air/water/soil.  I think I?ll put an offer in on this place:https://www.redfin.com/CA/NEWPORT-COAST/10-CORAL-RDG-92657/home/7202949

People always forget that Newport Coast was built on top of an old dump site too.
http://www.oclandfills.com/landfill/closed/coyote

Yup, I lived there for 10 years on top of the hill next to the dump site and could see the burning light/smoke all day long.

I don't have long to live... so that's why I YOLO everywhere I go.

But hey, at least I got max ROI on my property when I sold it.

Mety said:
kpatnps said:
aquabliss said:
glitterbomb said:

What about Woodbridge? Isn?t it even on IRWD?s site that shows the toxic levels on areas of Oak Creek, Woodbridge, CVE, and GP?

How about SG, EW, and PS since they?re within 3 miles radius from the OC?s biggest landfill? Isn?t Lambert Ranch like right under it?

How about OH and other hilly areas where there are much pesticides? I think QH is now using no pesticides at all, but won?t that give you so much bug problems especially in summer?

Where shall we live?

True there are things that can kill you everywhere.  Everyone must choose their poison.  Some things are likely to be more dangerous than another.  For me, I would never live too close to a freeway as that is clearly documented to be detrimental to your health.  Living 3 miles from a landfill?  I wouldnt worry too much about that.  However I also wouldnt live on a known superfund site regardless of how well they say they cleaned it up, especially if they were finding contaminated soil during construction.  Pick and choose your poison.  No location will be 100% safe, however some area will likely have bigger consequences than others. 

WTTCHMN said:
aquabliss said:
Ya I?m done with Irvine and your toxic air/water/soil.  I think I?ll put an offer in on this place:https://www.redfin.com/CA/NEWPORT-COAST/10-CORAL-RDG-92657/home/7202949

People always forget that Newport Coast was built on top of an old dump site too.

Ronnie, I mean, aquabliss knows that. He?a not buying that 10 Coral in NP anyways cuz that?s $24m with $1015 HOA. I?m sure he would rather buy in Shady Canyon. He?s playing like YF now. Maybe he WAS YF all along.

B2FiNiTY said:
WTTCHMN said:
aquabliss said:

Yup, I lived there for 10 years on top of the hill next to the dump site and could see the burning light/smoke all day long.

I don't have long to live... so that's why I YOLO everywhere I go.

But hey, at least I got max ROI on my property when I sold it.

MAXROI!! That?s what I?m talkin about!
If you can?t find a perfect location anyways, go with where it will give you the maximum possible return of your investment. Many TIC and NPC homes will overall give you better ROI than others in this area.

Back