All 2013 salaries for Irvine Unified

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
Forgot donations - I don't think you can't even deduct it. (Buying supplies for the classroom)
I think you can (our resident CPAs can confirm), just keep the receipt.

correct. donations to schools/districts/PTO are all tax deductible up to 50% of your AGI, the normal limit on donations is 30% of AGI but schools/districts qualify for up to 50% of your AGI.

well with these salaries, we can actually extend the kindergarten day to more than just 3 hours a day....with a system that relies heavily on a support from volunteering parents.
I can think of few other options to make a good use.

Quite a big delta in the "Teacher - 75" category with some earning ~$15K while others earning ~$150K.  I didn't know individual teachers can make $150K.

Forget engineering, be a teacher around here.  LOL.  What happened to the ol',  poorly paid teachers of my time?  :p  I assume this doesn't even factor in the cushy retirement benefits right?

rkp said:
Quite a big delta in the "Teacher - 75" category with some earning ~$15K while others earning ~$150K.  I didn't know individual teachers can make $150K.
There are only x amount of open spots for teachers.
Good luck getting that same amount in riverside, Compton, Santa Ana.

Who actually measures their performance if at all?
The purpose of teaching is kind of providing service to the students , but if there is no acceptable channel to provide feedback and see results then they end up high at the Olympus above all, backing and supporting each other.

Teachers do have summers off, but they do not get paid during the summer. Sounds like most jobs...you work then you are paid.

The numbers posted are inflated because 9.25% is automatically deducted for retirement. 401Ks do not automatically deduct without an employee's approval. The health care numbers are also included for an additional $20K. I highly doubt IUSD pays full price to a healthcare group provider but I guarantee they report the full value. If you want to know a teacher's salary before deductions the they are listed online under the districts salary schedules, then deduct at least ten percent for take home pay before taxes.

Don't think about classroom donations as something for the teacher. Think about providing an additional resource to your student so they can grow. This is a priceless investment. Would you be happy to know most classrooms aren't even given tissues.

As for most people who give teachers a hard time then please sign up to teach. You can start immediately as a substitute with an emergency credential. You will quickly notice that a teacher's day doesn't start when the students start and it doesn't end with the students as most are grading and lesson planning at home.

Choose to invest in the classroom first instead of jumping to a tutor who doesn't work within the classroom. That's how your child will grow in the long run.

Kangen.Irvine said:
Teachers do have summers off, but they do not get paid during the summer. Sounds like most jobs...you work then you are paid.

The numbers posted are inflated because 9.25% is automatically deducted for retirement. 401Ks do not automatically deduct without an employee's approval. The health care numbers are also included for an additional $20K. I highly doubt IUSD pays full price to a healthcare group provider but I guarantee they report the full value. If you want to know a teacher's salary before deductions the they are listed online under the districts salary schedules, then deduct at least ten percent for take home pay before taxes.

Don't think about classroom donations as something for the teacher. Think about providing an additional resource to your student so they can grow. This is a priceless investment. Would you be happy to know most classrooms aren't even given tissues.

As for most people who give teachers a hard time then please sign up to teach. You can start immediately as a substitute with an emergency credential. You will quickly notice that a teacher's day doesn't start when the students start and it doesn't end with the students as most are grading and lesson planning at home.

Choose to invest in the classroom first instead of jumping to a tutor who doesn't work within the classroom. That's how your child will grow in the long run.

I think we disagree on the structure of school spending. I will directly complain to the IUSD board/admin. They have the money. From what I hear, teachers are asking for donations.

In my "opinion" it's tasteless/tacky to ask for donations from families that already pay property taxes/melo roos or pay high rent to attend irvine schools. (Or live in low income housing - I had to get that in for test)

I think public school teachers are underpaid at $150,000/yr because of all the little hoodlums and their delusional parents the teachers have to deal with day after day, year after year.  At least in the military they get combat bonuses.

Many careers require working on evenings and weekends with no overtime pay. Just don't see why teachers are special.  Personally I don't know many teachers will do extra after school for kids that are struggling.
And some high school teacher don't even teach a lot. They just let kids watch videos.

And I believe most school boards need to hear from the parents. My advice would be to get the concern over donation requests on the agenda. Otherwise they will state they are not able to comment, but only listen to the concern.

Back