56 Shadowplay

Bennyboy

Hey everyone,

This is my first post, but been lurking around for the past couple months. I've been looking around for a home and it's been a crazy ride. I've been on the wait lists to Saratoga, San Mateo, Sienna, San Remo. Basically everywhere there were new homes being developed minus Portola Springs (its just a bit further than I'd really like to be). I've only been called once for a place in Sienna (figured it's too overpriced at the point I got the call). Noticed everything has been going up. Found this place in Northwood II. I like how it has a lot more sq footage relative to basically everything else I've seen. I'm not super thrilled about having 2 master suites, although I plan to rent out a couple of the rooms and I figure having the master suite would allow me to collect extra rent for that room. I'd be renting out 2 rooms in the house to help me cover a lot of the mortgage etc.
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/56-Shadowplay-92620/home/5952032

However, just got an email today from Cypress Village. Granted I haven't put myself on their list (not sure if I can yet) I like some of the homes they have to offer, they're just across the street from Tustin II. But the kicker is really when and how much will the house be if I waited.

56 Shadowplay ended up being far more than list price. Looking at mid 800's.. Just wanted to get all your insightful input. I've been lurking around for some time and there's really some Irvine experts. I'm still a novice looking for some advice.

Bennyboy

I don't think it's Tustin II but Northwood II...

Was there a question in your post I missed or are you looking for feedback in your situation?

It's a condo?? Hmm.. does it come with desirable features like California court and California doors with California peep holes?
Bennyboy, if you are looking to rent a few rooms in the house, I am assuming you are not married/ there are no IUSD kids? Why not look at Tustin Ranch then?

I feel like I'm in a really interesting scenario, maybe not so interesting however, as far as I know its just me and the girlfriend living in the home. It does not have a california court or california doors. I'm not married, not even close and no kids. Reason why I'm looking at Irvine and the schools associated with it is actually my parents. My parents are helping me out financially and happen to have a lot of say. Irvine is closer to their home and it is ideally where I'd like to be anyhow.

Pros
Like the quiet upscale feel of the neighborhood (lots of million dollar homes here as opposed to apartments etc.)
Gated
Location (a bit closer than say woodbury/stonegate)
4 bed rooms with decent living areas (loft)
Northwood High
Upgrades throughout Hardwood floors, upgraded carpet, travertine in the bathrooms
Looks like plenty of curbside parking
Runs along a walking trail?

Cons
Condo...
HOA ~300
No driveway (actually pretty important as I like to wash my own car)
House need a little work.

Don't get me wrong about the apartment feel etc with woodbury and other areas. I've always learned/thought being a inexpensive home in a nice neighborhood is better than being the nice house in a crap neighborhood. Before I get bashed none of the neighborhoods are crap, but I just get their strange feeling that a lot of people with $$ rather be in an area like NW2 vs a neighborhood where people of all levels of income can live. I have no knock on it and appreciate that actually, but in terms of value and what people see as value. I believe that's their preference.
This home for me is something I see for 5 years or so. When I have my own family etc. I'd really like to get in somewhere where I feel like I have my own home. Detached SFR with driveway etc. Hopefully my income increases going forward  :D
I feel like this area has more potential to increase its value. I mean thinking this house is worth 1 mil is crazy, but as of late. I feel like its not that crazy of a thought. Who knows what Cypress Village will look like after a phase or two....

I'm currently living in Ainsley Park in Columbus Grove and the parking situation is crazy. We've been towed once already and 200 a year + 50 garage inspection is nutty. I'm not sure how it works in the rest of Tustin, but dang this is by far the worst I've seen. We've got 2 garage spots and 4 cars.. Just as I'd anticipate in Northwood 2, but in northwood it doesn't look like there is any issues with parking curbside.

Just wondering, did you buy in Ainsley Park or renting?

The condo you mentioned is currently pending, are you the one in contract... if not it may be too late  :'(

I actually love NWII, well.. a few homes in that neighborhood... You also mentioned its closer than woodbury... woodbury is accoss the street no??

I understand your situation, and when I was house hunting back in 2010/2011, I put in offers on two NW2 detached condos.  One was a REO, the other was a bit too close to Jeffrey.  Like you, I can see the appeal of NW2, but the motorcourt was a big downside.  After looking at around 50 or so houses in Irvine/Tustin Ranch and passing the 'feng shui' tests, I ended up in NWP.  Definitely will be there for a long time (>>5 years).  I highly recommend looking at Tustin Ranch and see as many houses as possible.  The information you get from TI will make you a much more well informed buyer, and that is always a good thing.  Have fun and good luck in your search!

Cubic Zirconia said:
It's a condo?? Hmm.. does it come with desirable features like California court and California doors with California peep holes?
Bennyboy, if you are looking to rent a few rooms in the house, I am assuming you are not married/ there are no IUSD kids? Why not look at Tustin Ranch then?

is tustin ranch any cheaper than irvine?  man, feels like Tustin ranch kids are second class citizens  :)

Bennyboy said:
56 Shadowplay ended up being far more than list price. Looking at mid 800's.. Just wanted to get all your insightful input. I've been lurking around for some time and there's really some Irvine experts. I'm still a novice looking for some advice.

Bennyboy
56 Shadowplay shows as just going into pending a few days ago...did the realtor say they already have offers in the mid-800s? 

Also I agree with your thinking about a smaller place in a nice area, NW 2 is pretty nice, it has 4 developments in the tract, 2 single family developments with "real" driveways, 1 detached condo development and 1 attached condo, and the nice thing is both condo developments have alleyway access which I prefer over motorcourts ... but getting back to NW 2, the price rebound has been amazing with one of the real SFRs closing at $1.7 million which seems to me to be an all-time high so it seems for NW 2 at least, the SFR pricing has completely recovered from the mid-2000 slump.

jayl23 said:
I understand your situation, and when I was house hunting back in 2010/2011, I put in offers on two NW2 detached condos.  One was a REO, the other was a bit too close to Jeffrey.  Like you, I can see the appeal of NW2, but the motorcourt was a big downside. 

As far as I know there are no motorcourt homes in NW 2, only alley way homes where the garages open to the back alley but people enter the house through the front door off the street ...there is the Bella Rosa detached condos with alley access to the garage and the Serissa attached condos also with alley access to the garage...but I agree with you about the downsides of motorcourts where the garages open to the same shared space where people enter the house...

@Homer - I purchased in Ainsley Park with my brother. I've been there about a year now and don't mind it so much other than my brother let's just say likes to really have a good time. Late nights, loud nights, uncomfortable really. I like the home itself, but sooner or later I had to get out and get my own place. With the way real estate in the area is moving, I had to act quick or wait a good while. I'm more than fortunate to have my parents help me out, so I'm moving sooner rather than later especially given the living situation I'm in now.

@IHO, lol yes its just across the street, not a big deal

I agree with you fumbling about the motorcourts.. I never thought of it the way you just mentioned other than the fact if i turned in the wrong motorcourt, it would be a pain getting out...

The house already has offers in the mid 800s FCB.. Hopefully I'll have more news as things progress, but I'm trying to work something out and it seems like I might be getting in at this property.

It's tough to really make a decision when Cypress court has yet to have its opening. My dad and I both would like to see those homes to see what they have to offer there. What do you guys think?

Do those Serissa models have a backyard?

I think the Cypress Village floorplans are better, even Marigold in that they have some backyard entertainment space (and a CALI Room/Court/Garage).

Serissa models do not have a back yard. The driveway is in the back, side yard exists, but small. Enough for a bbq and a table with chairs perhaps.

Benny- I know who you are bud... LOL!! PM me.. haha... what a small world! 

Haven't seen you in ages... :)

A little hint on who I am... but don't mention my name on this post  :p

I played ball with you and your brother at Beckman, Newport Coast, Ainsley Park, I brought beer to your home  :p

qwerty said:
Cubic Zirconia said:

is tustin ranch any cheaper than irvine?  man, feels like Tustin ranch kids are second class citizens  :)

You cross Culver, you aren't royal enough :)

homer_simpson said:

I played ball with you and your brother at Beckman, Newport Coast, Ainsley Park, I brought beer to your home  :p

Holmes, the man who knew too many TIers.

Cubic Zirconia said:
homer_simpson said:

CZ, we are best friends outside of TI too  ;)

homer_simpson said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
homer_simpson said:

CZ, we are best friends outside of TI too  ;)

Oh nice! Do tell us if buys it all cash :p
BBoy..as pretty as NW2 is, if you are not there for the high school, consider other nicer parts of Irvine.. Just saying :)

Actually.. if he buys there, I can play ball with him more often! Oh wait, I'm 6 lanes, a median, 2 sidewalks and the JOST trail .... Too FAR! :(

Back