5-year-old drowns in Irvine Community Pool

Terribly sad.

Having never been to a NP pool, some context on this article please.  For example, in my area the RSM Community Pools during Summer have 2 life guards and an every 45 to 1 hr "safety break" (use the bathroom, don't pee in the pool....) time out. The pools tend to have a good 20-25 kids in at a time during busy and hot days. Some parents are in the pool with their very little ones.

How crowded are NP pools?

What kind of lifeguard coverage is offered?

How active are the parents around the pool?

NP has multiple pools but none of them have life guards. Parents are responsible for watching their own children. Most of the pools are pretty large but can get congested during the summer months. Even when someone is watching, it is still easy for a child to drown. It only takes a few seconds of inattention and their head will drop below the surface. Add in the mix the chaos of other kids playing and screaming/water toys obscuring your view and the mix can be deadly. That particular pool at 120 Spring Valley also has a SPA. Deep water, turbulent mix of bubbles, and usually a more secluded area is a terrible risk for drownings.

My sympathy and prayers go out to the parents. I can't imagine losing a child.

Wow I feel so sorry for the parents.  It seems weird to me that they didnt have a lifeguard on duty tho. I went to a pool in an older neighborhood in the Colony on Sunday and they even had a lifeguard on duty.

Little kids/toddlers should always wear their life jackets or arm/body floaters at all times even if they know how to swim.  Adults (parents and friends) should always watch the little kids in the pool instead of checking their facebook/tweeting/texting/chatting, etc. 

Drowning happens quite often especially during events and BBQ parties because they get complacent and assume that someone else is watching their kids.

Back