3 New California Pacific Communities in Portola Springs Late 2021

for the price, 1.4 to 1.6 million, you cannot even get a true new SFR any more in Irvine? Portola Springs nonetheless? these are cookie cutter tract homes? the floor plans all look familiar using the same recipe that has been copied over and over again for the last 10 years. At least they look efficient for 2500 sqft you get 4 BR + LOFT.
I guess no more 3CWG floor plans?

Danimal said:
CalBears96 said:
foodisgood said:
Today we toured Bluffs and Highland so we have something to compare against for the Sierra grand opening. We signed up as well but really seems like no hope there.

We've been on Bluffs and Highland waitlist since mid September and haven't got a call yet. Well, we did get an offer to buy Bluffs 1 last phase after the initial buyer change his mind, but we ultimately decided we needed the loft in Bluffs 2/Highland 1, so we declined it. Funny thing is that initially Bluffs 1 was our first choice.

It's interesting that your 2 options are really different. One is courtyard vs quasi SFR.  I personally would take quasi SFR over courtyard anytime. Having lived in courtyard many years, I hate not having my own driveway, harder to get in/out of my own garage, close proximity to front neighbors. I could hear my neighbors watered the grass in their backyard.

When Highland first opened, i was that close to getting plan 3 but backed out because we found out it wasn't true SFR but rather quasi SFR.  Since it was so new, there wasn't any buyers' homes for us to look. Lucky for us before we signed the contract, a sale rep told us that Highlands SFR would look similar to OH Como.  My wife wants to be able to park on the sidewalk and has a true SFR. It's crazy how long the list is even for courtyard and quasi SFR.

The California Court Company said:
for the price, 1.4 to 1.6 million, you cannot even get a true new SFR any more in Irvine? Portola Springs nonetheless? these are cookie cutter tract homes? the floor plans all look familiar using the same recipe that has been copied over and over again for the last 10 years. At least they look efficient for 2500 sqft you get 4 BR + LOFT.

Danimal said:
CalBears96 said:
foodisgood said:
Today we toured Bluffs and Highland so we have something to compare against for the Sierra grand opening. We signed up as well but really seems like no hope there.

We've been on Bluffs and Highland waitlist since mid September and haven't got a call yet. Well, we did get an offer to buy Bluffs 1 last phase after the initial buyer change his mind, but we ultimately decided we needed the loft in Bluffs 2/Highland 1, so we declined it. Funny thing is that initially Bluffs 1 was our first choice.

It's interesting that your 2 options are really different. One is courtyard vs quasi SFR.  I personally would take quasi SFR over courtyard anytime. Having lived in courtyard many years, I hate not having my own driveway, harder to get in/out of my own garage, close proximity to front neighbors. I could hear my neighbors watered the grass in their backyard.

When Highland first opened, i was that close to getting plan 3 but backed out because we found out it wasn't true SFR but rather quasi SFR.  Since it was so new, there wasn't any buyers' homes for us to look. Lucky for us before we signed the contract, a sale rep told us that Highlands SFR would look similar to OH Como.  My wife wants to be able to park on the sidewalk and has a true SFR. It's crazy how long the list is even for courtyard and quasi SFR.

The 3CWG ship has sailed and is long gone.

USCTrojanCPA said:

Danimal said:
CalBears96 said:
foodisgood said:

I'm going to my miss my 3CWG home when I move. And it's with a driveway that can park 4 cars too.  :p

what draws you to the new build? location and hence school? master planned community? less maintenance? floor plan?
Is the trade-off in lot size, garage, driveway and low property tax base worth it?

CalBears96 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Danimal said:
CalBears96 said:
foodisgood said:

I'm going to my miss my 3CWG home when I move. And it's with a driveway that can park 4 cars too.  :p

Danimal said:
CalBears96 said:
foodisgood said:

This is understandable! It really comes down to personal preferences. We've lived in a courtyard setup and really enjoyed the kids being able to play with their friends without any cross traffic. The golden ticket is getting the courtyard AND a driveway. A few developments had a nice paved courtyard with quasi-SFRs. Legado extension seems to be doing really well for this reason too in the same PS neighborhood. Resales $300-500k over 2019 original sales.  ???

I do like Highland is set up but prefer Bluffs floorplans. Lol. Seems they've built these to have options for everyone's preferences...

what draws you to the new build? location and hence school? master planned community? less maintenance? floor plan?
Is the trade-off in lot size, garage, driveway and low property tax base worth it?

We currently live in Eastvale, which is why we have big home with big lot size. We never thought about moving before, but this summer my wife brought up the idea of moving to Irvine area. I work in Irvine, so the commute will be a lot better. Driving to work now is hellish. My wife works in Ontario, so she'll be doing the driving, but at least it's against traffic, and she can just take 241.

Our son will be going off to college next fall, so school isn't really the reason, but location still is, kind of. Our current home is bigger (3300 sq ft), but its floorplan isn't as nice as IP's. I guess the reason IP has been using these cookie cutter floorplans is that they are nice. And yes, it'll be a lot less maintenance. Our current lot size is about 9000 sq ft. and I really hate taking care of the back yard.

We like a nice and quiet neighborhood rather than convenience, which is why we prefer PS over Serrano Summit and the Meadows.

You might fine nice sized homes at a decent value in Tustin and Tustin Ranch if school isn't your primary concern.

Cares said:
You might fine nice sized homes at a decent value in Tustin and Tustin Ranch if school isn't your primary concern.

As I pointed out previously, we like PS because it's in a residential area.

We almost bought Soria 3, but decided to turn it down because Serrano Summit is in a commercial area, plus its floorplan isn't as good as Bluffs/Highland. And we looked at the site for the Meadows and were turned off immediately at its location.

I checked The Landing at Tustin Legacy, but the location isn't ideal either.

I guess our criteria for location isn't for school, but for neighborhood.

CalBears96 said:
Cares said:

We almost bought Soria 3, but decided to turn it down because Serrano Summit is in a commercial area, plus its floorplan isn't as good as Bluffs/Highland. And we looked at the site for the Meadows and were turned off immediately at its location.

What about Bakers Ranch? No MR and location I would say is better than PS.

If school is not a criteria, then it really opens up your choices but I understand it is difficult to keep looking when the housing price keeps going up. Tustin Ranch is really a nice area as Cares said.

I am actually exact opposite of your situation. We started with a small new build on a motor court in Irvine, but now recently upgraded to an older bigger house with 3CWG and much bigger lot, and I can no longer go back.... I never know I appreciate driveway this much, extra storage in garage helps, and I actually fall in love of doing the yard work! I probably spent more time doing yard work in one weekend than all the years combined in the small Irvine house.
I rather spend time doing yard work outside than looking at the iPad indoors;). And the kids appreciate the extra space to play and run around. Setback to neighbors are also a plus. Irvine is way too dense.

CalBears96 said:

We currently live in Eastvale, which is why we have big home with big lot size. We never thought about moving before, but this summer my wife brought up the idea of moving to Irvine area. I work in Irvine, so the commute will be a lot better. Driving to work now is hellish. My wife works in Ontario, so she'll be doing the driving, but at least it's against traffic, and she can just take 241.

Our son will be going off to college next fall, so school isn't really the reason, but location still is, kind of. Our current home is bigger (3300 sq ft), but its floorplan isn't as nice as IP's. I guess the reason IP has been using these cookie cutter floorplans is that they are nice. And yes, it'll be a lot less maintenance. Our current lot size is about 9000 sq ft. and I really hate taking care of the back yard.

We like a nice and quiet neighborhood rather than convenience, which is why we prefer PS over Serrano Summit and the Meadows.

If school is not a criteria, then it really opens up your choices but I understand it is difficult to keep looking when the housing price keeps going up. Tustin Ranch is really a nice area as Cares said.

I am actually exact opposite of your situation. We started with a small new build on a motor court in Irvine, but now recently upgraded to an older bigger house with 3CWG and much bigger lot, and I can no longer go back.... I never know I appreciate driveway this much, extra storage in garage helps, and I actually fall in love of doing the yard work! I probably spent more time doing yard work in one weekend than all the years combined in the small Irvine house.
I rather spend time doing yard work outside than looking at the iPad indoors;). And the kids appreciate the extra space to play and run around. Setback to neighbors are also a plus. Irvine is way too dense.

CalBears96 said:

I will never ever get another 2 car garage.... ever and there is only two people in my household.

Then you are not really ready to downsize?

Ready2Downsize said:

CalBears96 said:

I will never ever get another 2 car garage.... ever and there is only two people in my household.

sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
Cares said:

I think I've already stated what our criteria for a good location is and Bakers Ranch isn't it. Bakers Ranch isn't really that much different from the Meadows. The one thing we don't want is if the community is in a commercial area. Serrano Summit, Bakers Ranch, Meadows, and Landing all fall into this category. For us, PS is a better location than all the Lake Forest new constructions.

Ready2Downsize said:

CalBears96 said:

I am. This will be the second time. I went from 4200 sq feet, nearly 9000 sq foot lot, 4 car garage to less than 3900 sq feet (different configuration, downstairs master, no living dining room), under 6000 sq foot lot and 2 car garage. Most of the upstairs never gets used, so basically we live downstairs if relatives are not in town. Hubby uses a room upstairs for work since covid but he could be downstairs if push came to shove.

I'm going to less than 2800 Sq feet, back to a bigger lot but single story which takes up more of it and 4 car garage. Just not here.

Ready2Downsize said:

Ready2Downsize said:

CalBears96 said:

I am. This will be the second time. I went from 4200 sq feet, nearly 9000 sq foot lot, 4 car garage to less than 3900 sq feet (different configuration, downstairs master, no living dining room), under 6000 sq foot lot and 2 car garage. Most of the upstairs never gets used, so basically we live downstairs if relatives are not in town. Hubby uses a room upstairs for work since covid but he could be downstairs if push came to shove.

I'm going to less than 2800 Sq feet, back to a bigger lot but single story which takes up more of it and 4 car garage. Just not here.

Wow, 4 car garage?  I'm jealous.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Ready2Downsize said:

Ready2Downsize said:

CalBears96 said:

Missed my last garage so much. First thing after COE is epoxy floors.

Ready2Downsize said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Ready2Downsize said:

Ready2Downsize said:

CalBears96 said:

I would love to buy a single story 4-car garage view lot home South of the 405 but that may be as rare as the dodo bird.  haha

USCTrojanCPA said:
Ready2Downsize said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Ready2Downsize said:

Ready2Downsize said:

CalBears96 said:

I would love to buy a single story 4-car garage view lot home South of the 405 but that may be as rare as the dodo bird.  haha

I'm going to have a view of a little lake and its south of the 405...... cept its a few hundred miles away. lol!

My sister added a garage onto her house in Foothill Ranch on a culdesac which backs up to Whiting Ranch. Maybe find something in Turtle Rock with some land next to the garage area???

CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
Cares said:

I think I've already stated what our criteria for a good location is and Bakers Ranch isn't it. Bakers Ranch isn't really that much different from the Meadows. The one thing we don't want is if the community is in a commercial area. Serrano Summit, Bakers Ranch, Meadows, and Landing all fall into this category. For us, PS is a better location than all the Lake Forest new constructions.

I'm not as familiar of the OC area as I currently come from a suburb in LA County, but I know at one point we also looked at Foothill Ranch (right above Baker's Ranch).  That area tends to be further from the commercial, and offers a lot more lot and square footage for the buck.  That also places you near Irvine.  As The California Court Company said, if school isn't a criteria, you my friend should have a lot more options. 

My family would be moving to Irvine from our very nice single story 10,000+ lot property because of the schools and the Irvine Master planned community since we think its best for our young ones.

It?s this (flawed) belief about Irvine schools that will keep prices going. You aren?t really paying for the schools but the privilege to live alongside a peer group that values education and dumps as much time and money into it as they can.

Back