3 New California Pacific Communities in Portola Springs Late 2021

sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
CogNeuroSci said:
bkimxmd said:
My wife and I just stopped by today to get some flooding ideas.
flooding in the house comes standard ;)

But that is something that you need to upgrade if you go with other builders.  ;D
CalPac holiday season special, it comes standard. ;)

Fenshui compatibility: wood fire earth metal and WATER.

I went back to check out Plan 2 but also revisited Plans 1 and 3. I was told that Plan 2 never had a leak or opened window, that it was shut only because they shampooed the carpet.

I didn't have a feeling that I couldn't trust what I was told. And this issue seems independent of whatever happened with Plan 3, which I didn't ask about. Anyway, I wouldn't have any hesitation with a Cal Pac home. It's not like I'm buying a KB Home or Lennar, in which case I'd be constantly worried before and after closing (I hope I don't get too many people upset).

I got to see the Plan 2 and I love it. I prefer the straight-ahead orientation of the Plan 2 kitchen island. I understand that the Plan 3 has the L shape to accommodate the dining area and the island usually faces the dining area off to the side. But I feel the Plan 3 island extends too far into the great room on its long axis. If only Cal Pac could utilize a more squarish island. Remember, Cal Pac is well known to use a small squarish island (when sink not on the island) for their homes under 2000 sq ft, thus creating more room in the dining and great room areas, a design element that maximizes space efficiency, something they are famous for.

Anyway, I really like the Plan 2 because the 1st floor is similar to that in the Plan 3 and I prefer its straight-ahead island configuration. In addition, I've never seen a 3rd-floor loft like the Plan 2Y's. This is the only 3rd-floor loft I've ever seen that you can see the interior of the loft from the 1st-floor entryway. Also, the 3rd-floor loft has like an A-frame "ski chalet" ceiling that makes it feel cozy and warm, especially with those wood cross beam accents (does that come standard?). The net effect is that the 3rd-floor loft feels and looks like an integrated part of the home. All other 3rd-floor lofts, from all those units across the Great Park to even 3500-5500 sq ft homes (Teresina by Shea in Lake Forest to even all those Toll Brothers homes in Altair), are isolated, cold, undistinctive, and tacked on.

When I went back to the Plan 3 again, it felt better. You get a regular 2nd-floor loft in place of a 3rd story, and that's always good in a conventional way. This time, I felt the kitchen island orientation didn't bother me that much. But I'll tell you, I love the kitchen and great room of the Plan 1, and I wish it had a 1st floor bdr.

Lastly, I want to say something that people who are experienced home lookers should already know: Cal Pac is known for their innovation. Every new Cal Pac community will probably have something that we haven't seen before, even when compared with previous Cal Pac communities. In past Cal Pac communities with homes at 2000 sq ft or smaller, that would be 20-ft ceilings with open-view overlooks from the 2nd floor, ultra space efficiency, and (unfortunately) the lack of coat closets. I have never seen a Cal Pac community with homes well over 2000 sq ft, so I was wondering in what way they would innovate beyond what we've already seen from them. As it turns out, it isn't just everything slightly larger. What I found is the innovation is in the entryways (styles usually found in 3000 plus sq ft homes), master bathrooms, and the most incredibly innovative and warm and awesome 3rd-floor loft I've ever seen (which was not by luck, if you know Cal Pac).

I haven't seen the models of Sierra but based on the posted floor plan, the plan 2  looks amazing considering  that it is able to fit in a loft and an ensuite in each of the upstairs bedrooms within 2359 sqt space! Atleast the loft feature in sub 2500 sqt home makes it so unique with the utility it provides.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
I haven't seen the models of Sierra but based on the posted floor plan, the plan 2  looks amazing considering  that it is able to fit in a loft and an ensuite in each of the upstairs bedrooms within 2359 sqt space! Atleast the loft feature in sub 2500 sqt home makes it so unique with the utility it provides.

Actually, 2358 sq ft is without the loft, plan 2X or 2Y is with the loft at 2704 sq ft. We were interested in 2X because it came with loft and deck, thus view. 2Y with loft on 3rd story without deck was useless to us.

BlackKnight said:
sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
CogNeuroSci said:
bkimxmd said:
My wife and I just stopped by today to get some flooding ideas.
flooding in the house comes standard ;)

But that is something that you need to upgrade if you go with other builders.  ;D
CalPac holiday season special, it comes standard. ;)

Fenshui compatibility: wood fire earth metal and WATER.

LOL @sleepy @Calbear @CogNeuroSci @blacknight.  Apologies for the tone in my previous posts going back and forth with Sleepy. 

Thoughts on a 30 yr fixed at 3.0%, 10 yr arm at 2.75%, or 7 yr arm at 2.5%?  Total lender upfront fees of $1200.  Can't say I plan on living at this house forever, but probably would live here for a while since my twins are only 4 and don't see a reason we would grow out of this house. 

bkimxmd said:
LOL @sleepy @Calbear @CogNeuroSci @blacknight.  Apologies for the tone in my previous posts going back and forth with Sleepy. 

Thoughts on a 30 yr fixed at 3.0%, 10 yr arm at 2.75%, or 7 yr arm at 2.5%?  Total lender upfront fees of $1200.  Can't say I plan on living at this house forever, but probably would live here for a while since my twins are only 4 and don't see a reason we would grow out of this house.

If you don't plan to move within 7 years, then go with 30 years fixed. I doubt that you will see rates this low again. The difference between 10 year ARM and 30 years fixed is too little to risk it adjusting later.

For us, we're planning to live in Bluffs 2 for a very very long time, as we plan to retire in this home, so we're definitely going with 30 years fixed. I was hoping it stayed at 2.75% though.  :(

Yeah me too.  I was quoted 2.65 then 2.75, but couldn't lock it in since we were too far out.  Today, we locked it in at 3. 

I still think its pretty good, seen anything significantly lower in the market?

BTW, been meaning to ask even though its irrelevant now, is Cypress Village a highly desirable community?  Toured a few single family homes a while back, but the houses were bid up and taken off the market so fast....

bkimxmd said:
Yeah me too.  I was quoted 2.65 then 2.75, but couldn't lock it in since we were too far out.  Today, we locked it in at 3. 

When is your move-in date? Mine is mid May, so I can't even lock now.

CalBears96 said:
bkimxmd said:

Supposed to be 3/24. Hopefully it doesn?t get delayed.  I know the rain is much needed but hoping that it won?t be like this the whole winter.

bkimxmd said:
BTW, been meaning to ask even though its irrelevant now, is Cypress Village a highly desirable community?  Toured a few single family homes a while back, but the houses were bid up and taken off the market so fast....
The location and MR are definitely pluses and less than a lot of other Irvine communities. Closer to shops and freeways as well.

bkimxmd said:
CalBears96 said:
bkimxmd said:

Supposed to be 3/24. Hopefully it doesn?t get delayed.  I know the rain is much needed but hoping that it won?t be like this the whole winter.

90 day lock in period?

bkimxmd said:

For me, its a little too close to the freeways.

trematix said:
bkimxmd said:

For me, its a little too close to the freeways.

Some people like the convenience, but I prefer a more quiet neighborhood.

CalBears96 said:
bkimxmd said:
Calbears, what community are you moving from?

I'm actually moving from Eastvale in Riverside County.

Which plan are you getting at Bluffs? Also, don't sell your home in Eastvale; rent it out and make positive cash flow every month.

CogNeuroSci said:
CalBears96 said:
bkimxmd said:
Calbears, what community are you moving from?

I'm actually moving from Eastvale in Riverside County.

Which plan are you getting at Bluffs? Also, don't sell your home in Eastvale; rent it out and make positive cash flow every month.

We bought plan 2. Relatively big lot compared to other homes, 3889 sq ft. And it's backing Hillside, so no direct neighbor in the back. Someone reserved it, but backed out because it was already past stage 2 upgrade cutoff date. It included pre-selected some of the stage 2 upgrades that we actually wanted anyway, like recessed lights in all bedrooms and stacked kitchen cabinets (to ceiling), so we decided to take it even though we weren't able to do other stage 2 upgrades.

But, as I made appt for stage 3 upgrade, I asked the design center if there was still anything I still could do for stage 2 upgrade, and they squeezed us in for an 1 hour stage 2 appt for 12/23. When we sat down and asked about stage 2 upgrades, I saw on the screen that they moved stage 2 cutoff date from 12/6 to 12/25. So we actually got a full stage 2 upgrade.  ;D We were extremely happy with it, but it did an additional $23k damage to our wallet, on top of the $10k pre-selected upgrades.  :p

I do understand that it's nice to have positive cash flow from rental, but we don't really like to own rentals. We don't like to worry about tenants making payment, maintenance, etc. We actually currently have a rental in Lake Elsinore that we bought back at end of 2005 (pretty much peak), so it had been underwater for 16 years. Just finally above water in 2021. We will definitely sell that one next June when the lease expires. We will also sell the Eastvale home when we move. To be honest, I would rather put the money in the stock market than real estate. And I also prefer having liquid asset.

I understand. Your Bluffs home is going to be awesome. I think $70000-$100000 in design center upgrades on a house in the price range that yours is in is reasonable.

Back