Wow, that changes the narrative.  The father was telling the news how nice his son was and finding them in an embrace shows he was taking care of her.

If he shot her and himself, I bet it wasn't planned but it was done out of hopelessness.

They had walked in circles, leaving food wrappers in a Hansel and Gretel style trail. Why would they do that if it was planned.

spootieho said:
The second I saw they were embraced, that's what I thought suicide or murder suicide was by far the most likely scenario.  You don't just die in each others arms in the desert. 

Really?? I didn't think it was shady at all that they were found embraced. Put yourself in their shoes. If you've ever been in a relationship, you can pretty much guess how it goes. You're weak and weary, maybe injured. It's getting dark. You decide to rest and keep trying in the morning. The desert gets cold at night. She would be freezing. She asks him to spoon her. They do. Hypothermia / dehydration takes them while they're sleeping. It made sense to me.

I could also see why he would put both of them out of their misery. After they went missing, I asked Mr. SoCal if he would double-tap me in the head while I'm distracted, as a mercy-killing, if he knew help was not on the way and I would die a miserable death. He said if I want him to, he would, and would start with: "Hey, look at that pretty flower over there..." bam. Now whenever he says to look at something I whip my head around and stare him down.

marmott said:
Is it normal to go on a hike with a gun?  :eek:

I have run across people that do, especially in grizzly country.

I read that the girl broke up with the guy earlier in the year and that they went hiking only as friends. I get the feeling that it was murder/suicide because who in their right mind would go hiking in 110? heat!

Perfect set up: go hiking in extreme heat in a remote area, pretend you're lost, kill your ex and then commit suicide. The guy probably thought their bodies would just decompose, never to be found and his reputation would stay in tact. Pure speculation on my part obviously.

Burn That Belly said:
The guy was a security guard, not a cop. News is calling it sympathetic murder-suicide. Not typically normal for any 22 year old Asian to be packing heat in public. Gun was registered to him and privately owned probably. Won't speculate any further because I can come up with 5 different scenarios and nobody will like it. Hollywood may do a film on this some day.

Oh, why hasn't the family of the girl come out to say anything? Only the guy's father is painting the picture.

The girl's family made a statement. I heard on the news he was carrying a gun because she had a stalker. So sad, whatever happened.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/2...ot-woman-before-killing-himself-sheriff-says/

Were any of the other rounds fired to signal for help?  If it was loaded with all but two bullets... That's that.

Autopsy offers few clues in murder-suicide of hiking couple in Joshua Tree

Detectives learned the couple obtained hallucinogenic drugs prior to entering the park and they found an apparent hallucinogenic mushroom in a backpack under Orbeso?s body. But it?s unclear if drugs played any role in their deaths.

The toxicology test did not reveal any drugs in Orbeso?s system at the time of death. A separate test on Nguyen found trace elements of cannabis in her system, and detectives found two round plastic containers that have might been used to store marijuana, a drug she had a medical license to consume.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/...cide-of-couple-in-joshua-tree/?obref=obinsite

Back