Your scenario assumes they keep a priority list with a distinct priority order where number 17 has a first right of unit selection/refusal over number 18. 

I don't think it really works like that anymore.  Sure there's a list, and yes there's an order to the list, but it's more of a big puzzle than a pecking order.  I don't even think it seems unethical, sounds like good business practice to me.  I'd hire the guy that sells out each phase release right away over the guy who keeps buyer A happy and loses buyer B.

I've learned there's more to it than just being on the list.  The buyers that would pop in and chat up the sales people periodically seemed to end up with the floor plan and/or lot they wanted. 

USCTrojanCPA said:
I've learned there's more to it than just being on the list.  The buyers that would pop in and chat up the sales people periodically seemed to end up with the floor plan and/or lot they wanted.

This is absolutely correct.  One of the major factors is the Sales Team's assessment of how serious the potential buyer is on a particular lot/model.  The more the buyer shows their face with the Team, the more influence they will have.  This is why they rarely (if ever) will publicize where you are on that priority list. 

YellowFever said:
Let's say you get the email to choose your top 2 choices for which lot you want.  There are 3 buyers and 3 units for sale.

Buyer A says his top 2 is: unit 1 followed by unit 2 in that order.

Buyer B says his ONLY choice is unit 1 and will not entertain any other units. 

Buyer C says his choice is unit 3.

Assume that buyer A is above buyer B on the priority list and buyer C is last.  At this point, wouldn't the sales agent just call buyer B first and say unit 2 is available, then call buyer A and say unit 1 is already sold, but unit 2 is still available ?  Then finally he calls buyer C to close unit 3.

The sales team has now effectively/efficiently completed the sale of this phase with just 3 phone calls. 

What do you guys think?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds to me like doing the above will just save them more time and hassle.  They don't really get a commission and they don't offer bidding wars so what would be the incentive for the sales agent to have to make a 4th, 5th, and 6th phone call to find a buyer for unit 2. 

I know it does seem unethical but it sure as hell ain't illegal and no one would ever know other than the sales agent who put together the list himself.  The sales agents are not in the business of giving you the right home that you want.  I would have to think their job is to find qualified buyers to complete the phase but maximize time and efficiency without having to make 20 phone calls, and get 20 back only to reject 19 of them.

I'm not sure if it's called a commission but the sales people do get something for selling the house in addition to their salary. When we bought our house, the sales guy told us, I want your house to close ASAP because I don't get paid for selling it until it closes.

USCTrojanCPA said:

Yep. I visited the IP sales office at least every two weeks for six months, talking to the sales folk, letting them know I was still an extremely interested and motivated buyer. They would call me every other phase release offering a lot they thought I might be interested in, even though they knew we wanted a ~16' minimum setback. There was always the warning, that I might be behind other buyers for the lots I identified. When the phase finally came with multiple acceptable lots, we were offered the best one - meaning the one of three we identified as first on our desired list.

People who visit the sales office often get their first choice.
People who flatter the sales staff get their second choice.
People who voted for Trump get their third choice.

Back