Recs for electrician to install a 240v/NEMA 14-50 outlet

Hi, looking for recs for an affordable electrician to install a 240v/NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage for an EV.

Right now kicking myself as could have done it via the builder for $300 but no longer an option :(.

My neighbors have used the recommended EV installers but those cost up to $900 - ack!

Thanks so much!

Try Manny Molito (714) 655-0037. He was recommended by the Tesla store in Fashion Island, and was actually reasonable in cost and did a great job. He came out and gave an initial estimate, then scheduled the installation afterward. It depends on if he needs to do trenching, pull permits, install a sub-panel, etc.

$300 charge by the builder!!!!!  What a deal..

Our builder charges $900 w/o the NEM 14-50 outlet.  Talk about a rip-off!!!!

How far is your garage from the panel?  Ours was a good 50 feet from the panel and material + permits together were over $150.  If the panel is nearby, a handyman can cut the drywall and have everything prepped so an electrician can connect up everything.  Estimate the number of hours involved and you can get electricians for $50 an hour. 

rkp said:
How far is your garage from the panel?  Ours was a good 50 feet from the panel and material + permits together were over $150.  If the panel is nearby, a handyman can cut the drywall and have everything prepped so an electrician can connect up everything.  Estimate the number of hours involved and you can get electricians for $50 an hour. 

$50/hr for an electrician seems VERY low.  That's like avg. handyman pricing.  The electrician I use charges $75/hr and I would say that's a little under market.

You guys really get permits to run a 240v line?  As long as you have space in the panel to add the breakers any decent handyman can do it all. 

woodburyowner said:
$50/hr for an electrician seems VERY low.  That's like avg. handyman pricing.  The electrician I use charges $75/hr and I would say that's a little under market.

It really depends on how many hours and your relationship.  Quick search on angie's list shows offers for $59 an hour:https://member.angieslist.com/member/offers/580138

The licensed subcontractors who don't advertise work for less than $50 an hour.

daedalus said:
You guys really get permits to run a 240v line?  As long as you have space in the panel to add the breakers any decent handyman can do it all. 

I did get a permit but we also added a bathroom to that house and did a lot more work so it made sense.  Agree that its not necessary.

daedalus said:

Don't go cheap on electrical work. Might come back to haunt you.

It ain't rocket science.  Seriously.  I think I spent $14 for a code guide from Amazon that covers just about everything a homeowner is likely to do electrically, and adding an outlet is about one of the simplest things.  Simpler than adding a light, since you're just going from end to end. 

I don't want to keep you up all night worrying, but the vast majority--and I mean probably over 99%--of homes in this country don't meet current electrical code.  Not only that, but there are millions of cars on the road that have brake pads that were replaced by people who didn't actually possess an ASE brake certification. 

4 Reasons Why DIY Electrical Work is a Really Bad Idea
https://luminaireinc.us/4-reasons-diy-electrical-work-really-bad-idea/

daedalus said:
It ain't rocket science.  Seriously.  I think I spent $14 for a code guide from Amazon that covers just about everything a homeowner is likely to do electrically, and adding an outlet is about one of the simplest things.  Simpler than adding a light, since you're just going from end to end. 

I don't want to keep you up all night worrying, but the vast majority--and I mean probably over 99%--of homes in this country don't meet current electrical code.  Not only that, but there are millions of cars on the road that have brake pads that were replaced by people who didn't actually possess an ASE brake certification.

eyephone said:
What an amazing, thoroughly researched and well written expose from a company whose business it is to provide electrical services.  But my last post was just intended to show I have enough  understanding to support my first claim, which was that a good handyman who does electrical work is more than capable of handling the most basic of wiring jobs.  I know better than to suggest to some of the "men" on this forum that they engage in an activity that carries the potential risk of chipping a nail.

I understand the need to call an electrician since most people would not bother to doing something that they don't know. I opposite of that I like to tackle items and task that I don't know. When I got my outdoor fireplace hook up our contractor run the snub there but never install the gas line to the outdoor fireplace. Either he doesn't have a license or the capability to do it. I started to call several companies out to estimate the jobs. I had to wait around for them to show up. Some don't show up at all. Couple of them estimate charge me 700 to 1200 dollars for hooking the gas from the snub to the fire logs. Yes, you have to run additional pipes and getting it done in a tight space and all but at this amount I thought they are smoking good stuffs. A couple of them claim to have proper insurance / Bond of 1 Million dollars or more should something goes bad. I spent 85 bucks on pipes and material and did it myself and was ten time more thorough in checking everything. So the fireplace done and lighted up nicely. Done several electrical work on my house and my backyard. I am a project manager with technical backgrounds. If you really wanted to do something you can do it. Helps these days are not like it use to. They charge you an arm and a leg and take your money and run as fast as they can.

daedalus said:
eyephone said:
What an amazing, thoroughly researched and well written expose from a company whose business it is to provide electrical services.  But my last post was just intended to show I have enough  understanding to support my first claim, which was that a good handyman who does electrical work is more than capable of handling the most basic of wiring jobs.  I know better than to suggest to some of the "men" on this forum that they engage in an activity that carries the potential risk of chipping a nail.

You make it sound electrical work is easy as planting a plant in your garden.
Also, another thing to consider is when you sell your house. The 240 connection is mostly going to come up during the inspection.

Keep in mind that we are only talking about the outlet itself.  Even if you had paid the builder (which I paid $400) they do absolutely no termination or plug work for you.  I got a empty junction box with 4 wires inside.  I checked around and it would cost me another $250 to terminate the plug, another $300 to have them mount the 240 volt charger to the wall.  Forget that - I just walked 6 feet to the electrical panel, shut down the circuit, pulled out a 1/4" drill and got to work.  My day job is spent inside an office and it took me just an hour to complete mine.  My neighbors all came to admire it and agreed it would have been ridiculous to pay someone to do that. 

Attachments

• IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_3352.JPG
    IMG_3352.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 172
upon9k said:
Keep in mind that we are only talking about the outlet itself.  Even if you had paid the builder (which I paid $400) they do absolutely no termination or plug work for you.  I got a empty junction box with 4 wires inside.  I checked around and it would cost me another $250 to terminate the plug, another $300 to have them mount the 240 volt charger to the wall.  Forget that - I just walked 6 feet to the electrical panel, shut down the circuit, pulled out a 1/4" drill and got to work.  My day job is spent inside an office and it took me just an hour to complete mine.  My neighbors all came to admire it and agreed it would have been ridiculous to pay someone to do that.

Is that a ChargePoint unit? Which one did you get? Did you apply for the SCE rebate?

rideBMC said:
upon9k said:

Is that a ChargePoint unit? Which one did you get? Did you apply for the SCE rebate?

Yes good eye it's a ChargePoint 32 Amp model with the 18 foot cord.  If you haven't ordered yet, I suggest you get the 25 foot cord - I realized after installation the 25 is more ideal because you can park backwards and still have ample cord when charging.  Oh well...

The rebate I applied for was the AQMD one for $250.  They've since removed it from the website if you go through ChargePoint's link but the rebate is still valid as they just approved my check and it's in the mail.  What is the SCE one and are you able to receive both?  Don't forget the costs are tax deductible on your 2016 taxes, it's form 8911:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

upon9k said:
Yes good eye it's a ChargePoint 32 Amp model with the 18 foot cord.  If you haven't ordered yet, I suggest you get the 25 foot cord - I realized after installation the 25 is more ideal because you can park backwards and still have ample cord when charging.  Oh well...

The rebate I applied for was the AQMD one for $250.  They've since removed it from the website if you go through ChargePoint's link but the rebate is still valid as they just approved my check and it's in the mail.  What is the SCE one and are you able to receive both?  Don't forget the costs are tax deductible on your 2016 taxes, it's form 8911:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

ChargePoint sent me an offer for a $400 rebate through SCE.

I'm still contemplating on whether to get a L2 charger or not. So far we can get by with just an overnight L1 charge and besides I still dont have my 240V outlet (which is why I was lurking here :))

ChargePoint sent me an offer for a $400 rebate through SCE.

I'm still contemplating on whether to get a L2 charger or not. So far we can get by with just an overnight L1 charge and besides I still dont have my 240V outlet (which is why I was lurking here :))
[/quote]

Oh I see I get you.  I was considering it for years and couldn't justify the costs but with the 15% off promo Chargepoint did + aqmd rebate + tax savings it was a no brainer.  Well worth being able to charge at home.  It's awesome not to have to fight for one of few spots for charging at work.

Back