Irvine demographic & impact on kids

IrvineRes88

My kids elementary  (outside) of Irvine had a balanced diverse feel with only 25% Asian population. Now that we have moved to Irvine, I am increasingly uncomfortable with what seems to be 80% Asian student population. This environment is not diverse nor healthy for kids. I know some friends moved to Saddleback school district because they don't want their kids to study all the time. I moved to Irvine due to the convenience of Asian markets & restaurantso but I am beginning to really question the herd mentality of academic success with Asians. My kids used to have basically all white friends from school, now all their friends are Asian, it is making me uncomfortable, I would much prefer them to have both but it is not something that Irving can offer to them. I'very heard many good things about the Saddleback school district,  is Baker Ranch a  more diverse environment for kids?

IrvineRes88 said:
My kids elementary  (outside) of Irvine had a balanced diverse feel with only 25% Asian population. Now that we have moved to Irvine, I am increasingly uncomfortable with what seems to be 80% Asian student population. This environment is not diverse nor healthy for kids. I know some friends moved to Saddleback school district because they don't want their kids to study all the time. I moved to Irvine due to the convenience of Asian markets & restaurantso but I am beginning to really question the herd mentality of academic success with Asians. My kids used to have basically all white friends from school, now all their friends are Asian, it is making me uncomfortable, I would much prefer them to have both but it is not something that Irving can offer to them. I'very heard many good things about the Saddleback school district,  is Baker Ranch a  more diverse environment for kids?

I counted the use of the following words:
Asian 5 times
uncomfortable 2 times

My favorite phrase:
My kids used to have basically all white friends from school, now all their friends are Asian, it is making me uncomfortable, I would much prefer them to have both but it is not something that Irving can offer to them.

My guess is older Irvine will see more mix.  New Irvine is like the new San Gabriel valley.

IrvineRes88 said:

Send them to TUSD. Greater diversity. Saddleback would be the opposite of IUSD.

eyephone said:
IrvineRes88 said:

I counted the use of the following words:
Asian 5 times
uncomfortable 2 times

My favorite phrase:
My kids used to have basically all white friends from school, now all their friends are Asian, it is making me uncomfortable, I would much prefer them to have both but it is not something that Irving can offer to them.

So according to the OP:

75% White, 25% Asian = diverse and balanced
20% White, 80% Asian = not diverse nor healthy

IrvineRes88,
I can completely understand where you are coming and this is coming from an Asian American father of twin boys who are currently in kindegarten. Although I live more than a 1000 miles away from you, my children attend an elementary school where more than 50% of the school demographics are Asians. We recently had a teacher conference and although our boys are doing fine in school, academically they are performing slightly above the average level. The teacher told us that even tought our boys are doing well in their reading and math, due to the competitive nature of the school, many of the parents are putting their kids throught private tutoring and kumon after class so their kids can get ahead.

My wife and I want to raise our kids differently from the herd mentally of our Asiancentric school environment. Many of the parents of here are first generation Asian immigrants and still have the mentality my parents once had where getting straight A's in school is the equation for success in the real world. When a child is in kindergarten, first, second, or third grade or even 4th, they should be playing outside with their friends and not sitting in private tutoring or kumon classes for 2-3 hours after class to get ahead.

IrvineRes, I don't disagree with you that this is an unhealthy environment for your children as this demographics is not the representative of what the real world looks like. One of things I enjoy about living where I live is the close proximity and access to Asian restaurtants, groceries, and shopping centers, but if I can do it over again... I would much rather have them attend a school where the demographics were not so heavily concentrated with Asian students. My entire street and adjacent street are now made of 85% Asian households. The ratio was more like 25% Asian households when I first moved to my subdivision 5 years ago. 

Panda said:
IrvineRes88,
I can completely understand where you are coming and this is coming from an Asian American father of twin boys who are currently in kindegarten. Although I live more than a 1000 miles away from you, my children attend an elementary school where more than 50% of the school demographics are Asians. We recently had a teacher conference and although our boys are doing fine in school, academically they are performing slightly above the average level. The teacher told us that due to the competitiveness of the school, many of the parents are putting their kids throught private tutoring and kumon after class so their kids can excel.

My wife and I want to raise our kids differently from the herd mentally of our Asiancentric school environment. Many of the parents of here are first generation Asian immigrants and still have the mentality my parents and that getting straight A's is the equation for success in the real world. When a child is in kindergarten, first, second, or third grade, they should be playing outside with their friends and not sitting in private tutoring or kumon classes for 2-3 hours after class to get ahead.

IrvineRes, I don't disagree with you that this is an unhealthy environment for your children as this demographics is not the representative of what the real world looks like. One of things I enjoy about living where I live due to the close proximity of the Asian restaurtants, groceries, and shopping centers, but I can do it again... I would much rather have them attend a school where the demographics were not so heavily concentrated with Asian students.

How is it unhealthy environment? To me an unhealthy school environment is being in the cross fire of gangs, school violence, being picked on, etc..

Let me tell you the real world is competitive.

Isn't the real world where you live?

If you live in Irvine and work in Irvine, I think the demographic is similar to the schools.

#DiamondJamboreeIsNotDiverse

:)

gasman said:
#MakeAmericaGreatAgain  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I don't believe in Trumpism.

Let's brings jobs back to America and let's hire American people. Sounds good right? But in reality, "Trumps companies have sought visas for over 1,100 foreign workers since 2000,
according to U.S. Department of Labor data reviewed by Reuters. Nine companies majority-owned by Trump have sought to bring in foreign waitresses, cooks, vineyard workers and other laborers on temporary work-visa programs administered by the Labor Department."

Source:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...panies-sought-visas-import-1-100-workers.html

LOL.  These self-haters who talk about the presence of Asians other than themselves as "unhealthy" and have a "herd mentality of academic success" reminds me of Chris Rock's observation that black people hate black people too.  Let me remind you that whites and others make no distinction between health and unhealthy Asians.  You are all the same.

Panda said:
IrvineRes, I don't disagree with you that this is an unhealthy environment for your children as this demographics is not the representative of what the real world looks like. 

Yeah, tell that to all the people live in China, Korea, Japan or any nation with a racially homogeneous society that their society is not representative of real world and their situation is really unhealthy.

Happiness said:
LOL.  These self-haters who talk about the presence of Asians other than themselves as "unhealthy" and have a "herd mentality of academic success" reminds me of Chris Rock's observation that black people hate black people too.  Let me remind you that whites and others make no distinction between health and unhealthy Asians.  You are all the same.

Well, not really.  There are "unhealthy" Asians, and then there are Uncle Tom Asians.  White people love the model minority Uncle Tom's, as long as they stay that way (a minority).  ;)

That video clip reveals how I feel during many Irvine Costco visits. Can we eliminate those tasting stations, please?!?

eyephone said:
Panda said:

How is it unhealthy environment? To me an unhealthy school environment is being in the cross fire of gangs, school violence, being picked on, etc..

Let me tell you the real world is competitive.

I was born and raised in south Los Angeles. The other extreme you describe is many multiples worse, obviously, than educated-obsessed no-time-for-fun parents. It's not necessarily about the potential threat of violence. It's more about the culture of low expectations, the necessity to appear at all times you like don't care about school, and never ever appearing to be putting forth effort in school.

A Wealth Management Firm in the east coast conducted a research of the upbringing of the upper class millionaires with investable assets between $3M - $10M. I would consider these 100 men and women to be independently very very successful in their chosen vocations. Please note that only 1 out of 100 who made this list grew up in a gated community. 72% of them grew up either from poverty, lower middle class, or middle class. Looking at the stats below, it seems to me that the hungry South Angelos student would have a clear advantage in becoming financially independent and successful in the real world as an adult.

Family Background:
For every 100 upper class milionaires in the United States:

8% grew up in poverty
28% grew up in lower middle class
36% grew up in middle class
25% grew up in upper middle class
8% grew up in a wealthy or affluent class

For every 100 upper class millionaires in the United States:

45% grew up in the suburbs
27% grew up in urban areas
20% grew up in rural areas
9% grew up in the inner city
1% grew up in a gated community

Better save up too cause all them azn kids gonna be driving Benz and Beamers, you don't wanna embarrass your children by having them drive a Honda now.

Back