Amazon Prime Free Same Day Shipping

irvinehomeowner

All the tech sites just reported it today.

As long as you buy $35 or more and order before noon, you can get same day delivery.

We already use the free 2-day shipping quite a bit, so this makes the Prime membership even better.

Time to load up on some AMZN?

I just did some checking on zip codes, it looks like it's not available in all parts of OC, particularly South County:

www.amazon.com/sameday

No soup for Lake Forest, Laguna Hills and Aliso Viejo. Strangely enough, Laguna Niguel is eligible.

92782 is good to go. Doesnt the fact that Amazon same day delivery is available in Tustin Legacy make you want to buy a house in greenwood or columbus square? :)

So great. I can think of so many instances in my life where same day delivery woulda been super duper helpful.

I also purposely chose to comment in IHOs thread about this and not the other one :)

qwerty said:
92782 is good to go. Doesnt the fact that Amazon same day delivery is available in Tustin Legacy make you want to buy a house in greenwood or columbus square? :)
No one plays at the basketball courts there... not even Homiee/Farmmiee.

I know because I'm always there waiting for qwerleftovers.

So I wanted to test this out yesterday but I couldn't think of anything over $35 to buy.

The wife had some suggestions so am trying it out today. It's weird though, because my work zip code says it's eligible for same-day delivery but when I try to check out, the option is not available... but when I change it to my home address... the option is there.

Oh well... hopefully we don't have a porch-package-napper in our 'hood.

This is going to hurt brick-and-mortars big time... being able to shop online, get a discount and then get the items the same day is a big ouchie.

irvinehomeowner said:
So I wanted to test this out yesterday but I couldn't think of anything over $35 to buy.

The wife had some suggestions so am trying it out today. It's weird though, because my work zip code says it's eligible for same-day delivery but when I try to check out, the option is not available... but when I change it to my home address... the option is there.

This is going to hurt brick-and-mortars big time... being able to shop online, get a discount and then get the items the same day is a big ouchie.

Yup. Ultimately both B&M retailers and Amazon are willing to accept razor thin margins but with volume to make up for it. If Amazon takes away enough volume from retail, they swing quickly to a loss.

Target already is trying the strategy that over 50% of what they offer in store should be Target exclusives. I imagine that Toys R Us will have anti-amazon provisions with their suppliers as well.

irvinehomeowner said:

trying it out today too.  just placed my order.  awesome for buying birthday gifts for this weekend's birthday parties.

bones said:
awesome for buying birthday gifts for this weekend's birthday parties.
That's another good idea.

Thinking of so many ways to use this... BluRays or games to watch/play in the evening... etc etc.

I was happy if they could do free next day shipping... but same day is bonkers. I don't have to do late night Amashopping (although I still could)... I can just do it early morning or on break and come home to that A box.

they are going to pull forward a lot of purchases. i can see many instances where we need something today, dont want to go to the store and need to get to the $35 mark and then buy some diapers or something else that we may not need now but would in a couple of weeks.

Hmmm mine says not yet shipped and for guaranteed delivery tomorrow by 9pm. Not good. I guess I'll have to walk next door to IHO's house and steal his package. Hope you ordered something I can gift to a 5yo boy tomorrow.

bones said:
Hmmm mine says not yet shipped and for guaranteed delivery tomorrow by 9pm. Not good.
That's what mine initially said when I was trying to deliver it to my work address. Changed it to home and it said today by 9pm.

A bit fickle but I guess they are working the kinks out.
I guess I'll have to walk next door to IHO's house and steal his package. Hope you ordered something I can gift to a 5yo boy tomorrow.
Does he wear XXXL?

Success!

Arrived at 6:45pm... delivered by OnTrac, which is a local delivery service. Impressive as I ordered 2 items to meet the $35 threshold and they were in a single box.

#PrimeIsPrimeTime

Bought a pair of shoes just now, didn't get the same day shipping option, but did get free 1 day shipping for tomorrow Sunday.  I wonder where the nearest Amazon warehouse/hub is located?

I have used Prime Same Day shipping several times now.

So convenient and it's good for AMZN because it forces me to spend at least $35 each time. Been using it for phone cases and since those are usually in the $5-$10 range, I end up buying a t-shirt or some other electronic doodad.

Whereas I used to go to Microcenter.com or BestBuy.com to see what I need for in-store pick-up, now I'm just going Prime.

Poor brick&mortars.

Back