Where will everyone shop?

An observation: With all of these homes and apartments going in around Stonegate, Portola Springs, Pavillion Park, Beacon Park, etc, where will everyone be shopping?

Woodbury Town Center is the only major shopping center in the area, and I don't see any others in any plans anywhere. It's going to be awfully crowded in that one shopping center soon if they don't do something. Any ideas about what's going on? Will additional retail be coming soon?

TrojanChargerFan said:
An observation: With all of these homes and apartments going in around Stonegate, Portola Springs, Pavillion Park, Beacon Park, etc, where will everyone be shopping?

Woodbury Town Center is the only major shopping center in the area, and I don't see any others in any plans anywhere. It's going to be awfully crowded in that one shopping center soon if they don't do something. Any ideas about what's going on? Will additional retail be coming soon?

WTC doesn't offer many great options outside of Trader Joes.  Obviously, you have your Walgreens and Starbucks.. everything else is just about forgettable.  Gotta head over to Spectrum for Target and a little bit over for Costco.  Supposedly Five Points will have a shopping center in one of their sites. 

totally agree, not enough retail. completely residential means we all will be driving far to get grocery if we don't want to be stuck with Ralphs or Trader Joes.  Only bright spot, there will be a whole foods store coming near spectrum, still better than having to go to the district.

ocbird said:
totally agree, not enough retail. completely residential means we all will be driving far to get grocery if we don't want to be stuck with Ralphs or Trader Joes.  Only bright spot, there will be a whole foods store coming near spectrum, still better than having to go to the district.

those are pretty decent options though... wife loves trader joes. 

My question is.. how the f does casey's cupcakes stay in business? 

Within a year the new center on Roosevelt and Sand Canyon will open I would think.  Hopeful for a few good eateries there.

aquabliss said:
Within a year the new center on Roosevelt and Sand Canyon will open I would think.  Hopeful for a few good eateries there.

I know... Like Applebees right? 

aquabliss said:

The 5points retail will be at the corner of Modjeska and Irvine Blvd as well. Originally Portola Springs retail was supposed to be where the elementary school is now, but with the higher vacancy rate in the Woodbudy Town Center the plans were scrapped.

jmoney74 said:

Because her family is filthy rich and can float her. Casey's mother and step-father, Kelly (n?e Reinhardt) and Duane Roberts are the owners of the historic Mission Inn in Riverside, which is also the home of the original Casey's Cupcakes. Her step-father is a multi-millionaire who also invented the frozen burrito. In addition to allowing his step-daughter to set up shop, he also gave his wife, Kelly, her own namesake spa and boutique at the Inn. If the name Reinhardt sounds familiar, that's because her brother is Doug Reinhardt, a former professional baseball player for the Angels and Baltimore Orioles turned sports agent. He has also been featured on the reality television show "The Hills".

P.S. The only reason I know this by heart is because a few years ago, I booked a corner suite at the Inn for a Christmas get-away. The Ma?tre D' gifted me a box of Casey's cupcakes for my entire family as a thank you for something I had done for him. After I bit into it, I questioned how such a lousy cupcake could have such popularity. I looked into it a little further and then it all made sense. The secret ingredient is money with a dash of nepotism.

paperboyNC said:
aquabliss said:

The 5points retail will be at the corner of Modjeska and Irvine Blvd as well. Originally Portola Springs retail was supposed to be where the elementary school is now, but with the higher vacancy rate in the Woodbudy Town Center the plans were scrapped.

Someone on this thread mentioned Modjeska and Irvine Blvd corner lot is reserved for apartments. Retail stores in that location would make perfect sense, as that can serve PP, BP, PS, High school, and close by Jail. 

SoCal said:
jmoney74 said:

Because her family is filthy rich and can float her. Casey's mother and step-father, Kelly (n?e Reinhardt) and Duane Roberts are the owners of the historic Mission Inn in Riverside, which is also the home of the original Casey's Cupcakes. Her step-father is a multi-millionaire who also invented the frozen burrito. In addition to allowing his step-daughter to set up shop, he also gave his wife, Kelly, her own namesake spa and boutique at the Inn. If the name Reinhardt sounds familiar, that's because her brother is Doug Reinhardt, a former professional baseball player for the Angels and Baltimore Orioles turned sports agent. He has also been featured on the reality television show "The Hills".
You just dashed the dreams of a thousand wannabe Casey's with that post.

OC_relocation said:
paperboyNC said:
aquabliss said:

Someone on this thread mentioned Modjeska and Irvine Blvd corner lot is reserved for apartments. Retail stores in that location would make perfect sense, as that can serve PP, BP, PS, High school, and close by Jail.

There are four corners of Irvine Blvd / Modjeska

North: Will remain UC Irvine Research Center
East: Apartments (Irvine Company land - part of Portola Springs)
South: Retail
West: ?? Part of Great Park (I forget and don't remember where the great park master plan is)

SoCal said:
P.S. The only reason I know this by heart is because a few years ago, I booked a corner suite at the Inn for a Christmas get-away. The Ma?tre D' gifted me a box of Casey's cupcakes for my entire family as a thank you for something I had done for him. After I bit into it, I questioned how such a lousy cupcake could have such popularity. I looked into it a little further and then it all made sense. The secret ingredient is money with a dash of nepotism.

Thanks. I do recall some connection to a tv reality show.  The cupcakes are downright awful. They couldnt even get the pink lemonade right.

Happiness said:
You just dashed the dreams of a thousand wannabe Casey's with that post.

:) You're welcome. :D Remember, Kids, you can be ANYTHING you want to be when you grow up!... as long as you have the right last name. It's not what you know but who you know.  :)

jmoney74 said:
SoCal said:

Thanks. I do recall some connection to a tv reality show.  The cupcakes are downright awful. They couldnt even get the pink lemonade right.

Im probably in the minority but I actually like the confetti one and the carrot cake one wasn't bad. That said, it's always empty when I go so either the family money is keeping the place afloat like socal mentioned or they do a ton of special orders and host a lot of birthday parties in their space.

Back