Covered Patios vs. Trellis/Pergola

Logik

Hi,

I live in Pavilion Park and was wondering if folks have built covered patios (maybe they are called California Rooms now) in their backyard.  I wanted to hear folks thoughts on advantages vs. disadvantages and what a 16' x 12' covered patio might cost. Additionally from the brokers/realtors, how much does it add value to your house vs. just a open pergola/trellis? 

Thanks.

The bids I got showed quite a bit of difference.  A covered outdoor room was about 35K and a patio was about 19K. But the covered patio goes way up when u add adjacent bbq area/bar etc. A fireplace really jacks up the price too.  I got a bid for pool/spa plus hard covered outdoor room at bids ranged from 122K to 148K for everything.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet.  Main issue is not price but kids drowning in pool.

I have a bid for a patio cover for around $6K as part of an overall landscape project that is about $35K.  Patio(trellis) cover is 16ft x 12ft. but was debating should I instead go with a covered patio vs. the open frame kind.  As you pointed out, the covered patios are more expensive and just finding out that in Pavilion Park you have to have a 10ft set back from the common wall from your neighbor which would limit the size of the patio cover.  My backyard is only about 18ft deep.  Getting a variance on that from HOA is not likely. 

If expense wasn't an issue, I would go enclosed patio (ie California Room) because it allows you to use your outdoors even when it's very hot or rainy.

The open patio/trellis/pergola structure provides less protection from sun/wind/rain.

Is this through the builder or are you planning on doing separately?  The california room is the nicest option and we really wish we had it.  The advantages are that it feels more integrated with the house and an extension of the living space.  Also, many of our friends have setup curtain systems so when its rainy or really windy, you can just close curtains and that area will be dust free. 

The trellises I have seen typically are in middle of the backyard and don't feel as connected.  Also they provide some shade but not fully so while visually nice, especially at night with integrated lights, they don't do a great job in the daytime. 

Would love to hear about pricing and process if done outside of builder.  We live in mille fleurs in WB and many of the houses have trellises but have yet to see someone put in a california room. 

For a trellis/pergola type structure, there are things you can do to maximize shade and sun protection (awnings, trellis shade covers, side shades, snake wire type shades, etc). If you do go down this pergola/trellis route, I would suggest looking into what kind of protection you want to install and have the trellis/pergola designed with those items in mind. Would suck to have the thing built and not be able to install a certain type of shade. Also factor in any electrical needs (for lights and/or for an automated retractable option) in the design too.

This is thru my landscaper not the builder.  The builder did provide an option for a open type of patio cover but it was for $15k which seemed quite expensive.  I would love to do a Califronia Room or Conservatory but I don't have sufficient yard depth(only 18ft) to get the HOA to approve a 16 x 12 foot covered patio or enclosed type room.

Your better off spending that extra money inside your house than outdoor living space. (Such as kitchen, bathrooms)

For example - I just dont get when I see a top notch backyard, but the kitchen and bathrooms have tiles for the countertop.

I've been looking at covered patios for quite awhile, and I really like the look of the "Equinox" louvered patio cover.  At first I also wanted to add a California room but I think it will make my living room too dark and not allow  enough light in during the daytime. 

The great thing about the Equinox covers is that you can open them and close them when you want, or even I think have them auto adjust based on the suns position.  Also the look is really cool, very nice modern look to them much better than a normal patio cover. 

I realize they're not for everyone, but we've decided to save up and spring for one of these in a year or 2.  They have a nice modern look which will match our outdoor living space well.

They're not cheap though, you'll probably pay between $35-$50 per sq ft depending on what options you choose.  Be careful, choosing the wrong patio cover can make you're whole yard look cheap. 

Here's an example of the Equinox cover, you can google to find many more:
2v0g4zo.jpg

wow that looks awesome.  will be hard to imagine how it will look in my backyard.  might need to photoshop something together to get a sense of it.

the other covering system that i really liked was at one of the Hill models in lambert ranch.  it was cloth and not sure if it could retract or not but was clean

IMG_1262.jpg

I'm usually not a fan of these free standing gazebo's but I'm seriously considering the one below.

The price is right, the size is good, and it looks decent, I think a lot has to do with the thickness of the legs making it appear more solid. 

Lastly all I need to do is swap that bug netting for some restoration hardware curtains and put modern wicker furniture beneath it and it may look pretty good:
http://www.sears.com/ty-pennington-rectangle-wicker-10'-x-12'-gazebo/p-07120516000P

qqo2mt.jpg

That looks HOA friendly. Are you going to resubmit to get it approved or just drop it in your backyard and hope no one notices?

bones said:
That looks HOA friendly. Are you going to resubmit to get it approved or just drop it in your backyard and hope no one notices?

haha, just drop it in of course.  It won't be visible from the street and I have no neighbors behind.  Only on the sides but I don't think it would bother them much.

i think costco has something similar, bigger actually, and i think it was about $1,500 or so. but i believe it included the furniture.

actually this is the one they have in the store - may be too big.

http://www.costco.com/.product.100131035.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-ensemblepageVerticalRight-_-PopularProductsInCategory&cm_vc=ensemblepageVerticalRight|PopularProductsInCategory

aquabliss said:
haha, just drop it in of course.  It won't be visible from the street and I have no neighbors behind.  Only on the sides but I don't think it would bother them much.
Yeah... qwermigo it.

As long as it's not visible by your friendly neighborhood HOA enforcer... you should be good.

Back