Does anyone ever read IHB anymore?

rickr

Ever since he got rid of the forums I stopped going to that site. I will check it once in a blue moon but that's it. Did his traffic drop after his decision to drop the forum?

Just curious, how has his venture with Shevy going? Do you think he regrets his decision?

I still read it.

I don't know if it's dropped all that much but the comments section is usually filled with people who don't even live in Irvine, Orange County or California. I think that skews the perspective a bit as there is no counterpoint to some of the things Larry says... especially from the perspective of home OWNERS in Irvine vs. his renter/investor viewpoint.

Just yesterday he threw out some generalization that many Irvine homeowners are HELOC abusers and posers and while he does seem to be able find profile quite a few listing that reflect that, the truth is there are probably more that are not that he rarely profiles.

I don't think Larry regrets his decision.... just maybe the way he went about it. I don't hold it against him to monetize his efforts... but at the same time... I think he needs to understand that it may color his opinions more than he realizes. Like his whole "Buy in Vegas" thing has almost everyone who are usually pro-IR against him. His counter? That usually when the majority is against him... that means it's the right move... just like his opinions about the bubble. The flaw there is that the majority of the commenters on his blog weren't "against" him in regards to the bubble.

The other irony is how he consistently railed against realtor listings and poke fun at their descriptions and photos... yet some of the early "IHB exclusive" listings were equally as bad (if not worse) and he would not allow comments on those particular posts so people would bring it up in subsequent posts.

I'm still not sure why he dropped the forum part. Maybe they felt they had no control over it or it would hurt more than help... but that goes to show that there is a concern about unmoderated opinions and viewpoints.

I do read it occasionally. I don't really care what people think of what he says etc. What I know
is his fundmental reason for that blog way back lined up exactly with my thinking and kept me
renter till early this year. Just like he is saying now about low interest rate with the 15-20%
drops from the peak are making things reasonable, I came to this conclusion based on my own
calculations. That is why I'm now an homeowner.

I have nothing but respect for a guy like him. Everyone has to make their living. Especially when your
own job is in jeopardy due to the economy. (Like his). So i don't blame him to try to do something with
his other skills which is he has acquired through writing this blog and spending so much time analyzing
this issue.

IT is really dangerous when you have a very specialized job and that skill is suddenly out of favour.
I admire him for being able to turn his hobby and passion into a new career. 

rickr said:
Ever since he got rid of the forums I stopped going to that site. I will check it once in a blue moon but that's it. Did his traffic drop after his decision to drop the forum?

Just curious, how has his venture with Shevy going? Do you think he regrets his decision?

I stopped reading for a long time (just due to being busy, nothing personal to them.) I have started reading again and there are parts of it I still enjoy just as years ago. I like the analysis, and the comments are informative / entertaining. I like that they do allow detractors to post. That does take guts if they're trying to grow a business, so I give them points there. Not everybody would have the courage to keep on going day in and day out as he does. I admire Larry's persistence. At just the initial time they cut the forums, I was a little upset only because I was having fun with you all. But then I had to realize nobody owes us anything. To everything there is a season. I understand their decision completely. I've apologized to Zovall for being upset. I felt bad for giving him a hard time. I got to know him personally and he's a really good guy. He's extremely patient, kind, helpful, and professional. I believe with his skills and Larry's ability they are a good combination. In his book, Larry says having the desire to sell homes taints one's view so I didn't understand how he would juggle both sides. But, he has it in him to want to find the balance and has been forthright about that (he made mention of it in his posts.) I don't consider it any of my business what they decide to do. He has the right to change his mind, just as we all do. Take it or leave it. Live and let live. Larry is not in this world to live up to our expectations. If by chance we (the readers and him) find each other, it's a great thing. I hope they accomplish all that they set out to do. Edited to add: I'm sure I'll be checking back to see how the LV venture goes. Win, lose, or draw, it is fun to live vicariously through them.

i stopped reading it - I just got bored.  Every post started feeling like the same stuff .  Every once in a while I get really bored and I go do a fast skim of whats there since I last looked, but I rarely read an entire post.

Super congrats to IR on being contacted by CNN.

"On Friday afternoon, I received a call from a producer from CNN/Money asking me if I could arrange an IHB meeting for Wednesday evening. This producer [...] is planning to bring a camera man to do a story on our little gathering. I don't know if this story will appear on the web, or if it may make national TV (it probably depends on how it turns out)."
http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/ihb-news-11-6-2010/

I rarely go on to IHB as I never really got into the blog section, I was always a big fan of the forums.  I'm glad to hear that IR is doing well for himself and I hope his good fortune continues. 

jumpcut said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I missed that post that he's not working... linky?
http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/blog/comments/ihb-news-8-28-2010/

Also interesting to note that in the same post from back in August, he said the fund was closing in 3 weeks.  But lucky you!  Your next chance for a free drink and sales pitch is tomorrow night!

Having read that post, now I feel bad about dissing the the 1 drink limit at the investor meetings.  If IR is still looking for a last minute venue for his CNN interview, I'm sure Cafe Lu can accomodate his group, if he mentions bk, I'm sure staff will treat him xtra special.

Well... that brings some perspective to his last few months of posts.

I'm not sure if he can really survive on his investment fund... but I know he can find work elsewhere whether it be contract or fulltime again.

I still think Vegas is super-risky for flips... and even cash-flow but he's bullish on it and I wish him luck.

Maybe he needs to start that LVHB.com site.

I think only place if any where IR's original predictions went wrong was mis judgement about
effect of low interest rates. IF Govt had not done massive bail outs and buying of >1 trillion of
MBS the irvine prices sure would have fallen as hard as his original predictions. In the end it all comes
down to affordability. IF people have jobs in certain area then low interest rates dictates affordability.
IF people don't have jobs then even low interest rate doesn't do much good like Inland empire.

That said he has indeed in last year or so revised his judgement and presented case almost on weekly
basis about rental parity properties primarily because low  interest rates.

Like i said in few posts earlier one of the reasons I have even more respect for IR now is that he
has skills to turn his hobby and passion into a new career even after his specialized profession is out of favour
due to the economy.

jumpcut said:
I stopped making my snarky comments over there after he revealed in one of his weekend navel gazing posts awhile back that he's out of work and putting all his efforts into this Las Vegas investing fund.  While I think investing in Vegas is crazy stupid, IR has good intentions and certainly isn't out to scam anyone.  I wish him luck and hope he proves me wrong.  I just read over there that he's once again extended the final deadline to invest to 11/18, so it's not too late!  Invest now or be locked out forever!

It's interesting how the comments are much less IR fanboy now in regard to Irvine not falling into his narrative and, especially, about his fund.  PR, who used to be reviled for every comment he made, is actually getting his own fans and support.  Even a certain renter-from-Arizona-who-knows-everything-about-Irvine-even-though-he's-never-been-here challenges IR on occasion now.

There is SOOO much property in vegas available for both rent and sale...  and your rental pool is kind of transient.  Plus who knows when their economy will be back - it could be years.  eventually those 15% unemployed people are going to pick up and go elsewhere.  Its not like las vegas is a desirable place to live unless there's work there.... well not for me anyway. I know SOME people love living in the desert but those are crazy people.

So I dunno.  It could turn out to have been a crazy great investment, but i think there are a lot of factors that make it really risky. 

Talyssa said:
There is SOOO much property in vegas available for both rent and sale...  and your rental pool is kind of transient.  Plus who knows when their economy will be back - it could be years.  eventually those 15% unemployed people are going to pick up and go elsewhere.  Its not like las vegas is a desirable place to live unless there's work there.... well not for me anyway. I know SOME people love living in the desert but those are crazy people.

So I dunno.  It could turn out to have been a crazy great investment, but i think there are a lot of factors that make it really risky.

Las Vegas is a fun place if you have the money.  If you are out of work, I don't think Las Vegas will be any fun.

Yea, someone there really needs to adjust their lithium dosage.

Was going to add my current favorite quote, but thought it best not to continue that persons threadline.

"Gold is the money of kings. Silver is the money of gentlemen. Barter is the money of peasants. Debt is the money of slaves".

Don't know who to attribute it to.

SGIP

OCAR members should be pissed. They are trying to boil the ocean which cannot be done. Smarter people would have tried to... oh... wait... I forgot whom I was speaking about.

Anyway, if these numbskulls would have tried to change minds in a more positive method including demonstrable acts, they would come out ahead over time.

Cat-5 industrial grade mockery storm approaching. OCAR better batten down the hatches.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People.

OCAR is just angry because someone is telling the truth about them. 

Come on OCAR all you need to do is visit any of the open houses during the weekend.  Some Realtors are very good and do not spin a bunch of BS about the house.  But every now and then you get a Realtor who's spinning an epic about the house, the premium, top-of-the-line, designer, gourmet, custom, it's priced to sell, and under market value that you'll want to vomit on the way out.

Back